Recall the racist Red Lobster receipt story a month back? HOAX

You obviously don't know much about guitar playing, and about Jimi in particular (your avatar is backwards). Nobody has added as much to rock guitar as Jimi, nowhere near even. Name someone who has. And also remember, he could do it while singing lead!!!

Your position is absurd.

Jimi Hendrix was a great guitar player, no one wants to take anything away from him.

But I would easily argue that Eric Clapton has had FAR more influence on the art - including influence on Hendrix himself. Jimmy Page added massive volume - in more ways that one - and he was mentored by Buddy Guy. Peter Frampton is a major contributor. Joe Satriani lead a revolution of his own and created a whole new genre. Carlos Santana added a Latin smoothness that refined the art. Alvin Lee was a monster of a player.
Peter Frampton added nothing to rock guitar, neither did Carlos or Page (he's crap anyways), Buddy Guy? Don't think he did anything major, Alvin Lee didn't add anything groundbreaking, and Joe Satriani just outright blows. Jimi changed rock guitar forever in a huge way, no one else ever did that.

Peter Frampton added nothing to rock guitar, neither did Carlos or Page (he's crap anyways), Buddy Guy? Don't think he did anything major, Alvin Lee didn't add anything groundbreaking, and Joe Satriani just outright blows. Jimi changed rock guitar forever in a huge way, no one else ever did that.

Yawn, whatever...

I love Hendrix, but you're off base.

Chuck Berry deserves credit as the pioneer of rock guitar. His fusion of jazz and blues with country is the foundation that all lead riffs were based on - up to the metal era. Hendrix was brilliant, but said himself that he was influenced by (and idolized) Clapton.

I agree. By his own admission he was he also influenced by old blues players like T-Bone Walker.
There are actually several guitarists who have eclipsed Hendrix and are or were more technically proficient pure players of the instrument. Personally, I think Hendrix was the greatest visionary in terms of "the sound" of the instrument. He was probably the pioneer in pushing the boundaries of using feedback, the "wah wah" pedal, flangers etc. He had an imagination of all kinds of different sounds and was able to bring some of them to fruition. Had he lived, he might have done a lot more.
You obviously don't know much about guitar playing, and about Jimi in particular (your avatar is backwards). Nobody has added as much to rock guitar as Jimi, nowhere near even. Name someone who has. And also remember, he could do it while singing lead!!!

Lol. I know a few things about guitar playing. Have played since I was 8, saw him live when I was 13 not long before he died, during his "Band of Gypsies" project, have read every book I could find on him, have every album he ever cut, watched every documentary on him, and have spoken personally to few who actually knew him.

My avatar being backwards is a puzzle that I have tried to solve because that photo is all over the Internet, and I have searched over and over trying to find out the story behind it.

I don't think anyone disputes his greatness, and since you are a Hendrix fan, I am not going to argue with you about his legacy. He was a better than average showman, and had better than average playing skills but his "sound" was distinctive and unlike any other before him. You can listen to Clapton, Page, and all the others from that era, and get them confused. Even some of the old blues masters sound alike in some ways, but when Hendrix played you knew him by his sound.

Anyway, this debate has been going on for decades, I feel fortunate to still be able to enjoy his music.

Last edited:

Your position is absurd.

Jimi Hendrix was a great guitar player, no one wants to take anything away from him.

But I would easily argue that Eric Clapton has had FAR more influence on the art - including influence on Hendrix himself. Jimmy Page added massive volume - in more ways that one - and he was mentored by Buddy Guy. Peter Frampton is a major contributor. Joe Satriani lead a revolution of his own and created a whole new genre. Carlos Santana added a Latin smoothness that refined the art. Alvin Lee was a monster of a player.

Satriani blows? Jimmy was a great guitar player and very influential, but he wasn't anywhere close to guys like Satriani, who are virtuosos on the guitar. Hell, even Stevie Ray Von plays Jimmy Hendrix songs better than Jimmy ever could. Jimmy was inventive, but he was also a sloppy player.

HAHAHA. You call that proof? Shows how stupid you are.

You most likely cannot use a calculator, or even perform simple math. That's why you are deflecting.

Hey stupid. I'm white and we are born mathematicians. Blacks are stupid verbals who can only think in words and that's why they can't do technology. That's a fact.

Lol! Sorry Beav, no one is "born" to be proficient at any form of science, mathematics or literature.

Those are skill sets that require aptitude, studying and discipline. None of which you possess.

You are not a "born" mathemetician anymore than I am a "born" basketball player.

The fact that you would even make such an inane statement speaks unflattering volumes about you.

Be sure to put that toy calculator on your wish list for Christmas. You have to start somewhere.

Last edited:
I agree. By his own admission he was he also influenced by old blues players like T-Bone Walker.
There are actually several guitarists who have eclipsed Hendrix and are or were more technically proficient pure players of the instrument. Personally, I think Hendrix was the greatest visionary in terms of "the sound" of the instrument. He was probably the pioneer in pushing the boundaries of using feedback, the "wah wah" pedal, flangers etc. He had an imagination of all kinds of different sounds and was able to bring some of them to fruition. Had he lived, he might have done a lot more.

Lol. I know a few things about guitar playing. Have played since I was 8, saw him live when I was 13 not long before he died, during his "Band of Gypsies" project, have read every book I could find on him, have every album he ever cut, watched every documentary on him, and have spoken personally to few who actually knew him.

My avatar being backwards is a puzzle that I have tried to solve because that photo is all over the Internet, and I have searched over and over trying to find out the story behind it.

I don't think anyone disputes his greatness, and since you are a Hendrix fan, I am not going to argue with you about his legacy. He was a better than average showman, and had better than average playing skills but his "sound" was distinctive and unlike any other before him. You can listen to Clapton, Page, and all the others from that era, and get them confused. Even some of the old blues masters sound alike in some ways, but when Hendrix played you knew him by his sound.

Anyway, this debate has been going on for decades, I feel fortunate to still be able to enjoy his music.
Hendrix was good, maybe bordered on being great, but he relied a lot on feedback and other effects more than he did skill. And Godboy is right, Jimi was sloppy. He was far from the best. Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Jeff Baxter, Brian Setzer, Eddie Van Halen, Al Di meola, Pat Metheny are all better than Hendrix as far as actual talent and ability. But I guess he sounded like the best if you were on acid when you listened to him.

Hendrix was good, maybe bordered on being great, but he relied a lot on feedback and other effects more than he did skill. And Godboy is right, Jimi was sloppy. He was far from the best. Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Jeff Baxter, Brian Setzer, Eddie Van Halen, Al Di meola, Pat Metheny are all better than Hendrix as far as actual talent and ability. But I guess he sounded like the best if you were on acid when you listened to him.

Hendrix was inconsistent. He wasn't always sloppy, and was at times masterful (Red House.) I think the problem with Hendrix was drugs. If he was on acid, he got very sloppy. If he was straight - he was a master.

Voodoo Chile is probably the greatest guitar riff of all time though.

For once we agree on something. You should notice I never said he was "the best" (which really is a matter of opinion).

I said he was an innovator of the sound of the instrument. He did certain things with feedback, distortion, delay, etc that no one else did to the same extent during his time, which changed the use of the instrument back in the 60's.

Besides that he was a good showman and had enough overall skill to be recognized as one of the best.

Last edited:
Jimi single-handedly invented rock guitar playing. There's STILL nobody better.

Yes - he was a wonderful entertainer. Blacks have always been good at putting on shows for the white folks. Too bad they can't do anything useful like build a computer or a bridge.

Biker, I'm not sure who the village jester was directing his post at.With "it" you never know for sure. I wonder what it feels like to see the world through the eyes of one with the intelligence of an amoeba.

Village jester is right. The blacks on this board seem to enjoy making fools of themselves.

Biker, I'm not sure who the village jester was directing his post at.With "it" you never know for sure. I wonder what it feels like to see the world through the eyes of one with the intelligence of an amoeba.

Village jester is right. The blacks on this board seem to enjoy making fools of themselves.

Wrong again, Beav. In case you have not been reading your own press, the vast majority of PEOPLE here of every race, gender or ethnicity have expressed an extreme distaste for your idiocy.

Start saving for that toy calculator. The goal here is to help get you some basic math skills in 2014.

Jimi single-handedly invented rock guitar playing. There's STILL nobody better.

Yes - he was a wonderful entertainer. Blacks have always been good at putting on shows for the white folks. Too bad they can't do anything useful like build a computer or a bridge.

Black people have never done anything useful?

Really?

Ever heard of George Washington Carver Jr.?

lets not forget john petrucci. steve vai and marco sfogli

lets not forget john petrucci. steve vai and marco sfogli

All good. And the list goes on endlessly. Kazumi Wantanabe, Yngwie Malmsteen, Norman Brown. There is a vast number of guitarists out there who are excellent.

You most likely cannot use a calculator, or even perform simple math. That's why you are deflecting.

Hey stupid. I'm white and we are born mathematicians. .

Then why won't you tell us what advanced degree in mathematics you hold? Why do you always run and hide like a little pussy from that question?

I guess he doesn't need a degree since his race makes him a "born mathematician"

That has got to be one of the dumbest statements in the history of this forum.

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back