Record-Shattering February Warmth Bakes Alaska, Arctic 18°F Above Normal

And still using the cherry picked data to determine the median again, love the dishonesty!

What cherry picked data are you talking about? The 1951-1980 mean? Since all anomalies in the comparison are using the same baseline, why don't you explain to us how that affects the results of that comparison. Eh?
1981-2010. That's what we who work with statistics everyday scientifically call bullshit data manipulating. You parented that in my meeting I'd have you tossed from the building and told never to return.

If I "parented" that? Did you perhaps mean parroted?

I fully admit it's an old baseline, but you failed to answer my question. As long as every value in the comparison is an anomaly from the same baseline, what does it matter?

PS "Have you thrown from the building". I hope you realize what a child such comments make you sound.
I'm not going to waste my time teaching you statistics, so I'll keep it short and simple for you to grasp.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A BASELINE OF ANYTHING EXCEPT CHERRY PICKED YEARS. YOUR CHART IS USELESS.

Weatherman, your ignorance of logic, science and statistics is painful to watch, in the sense that we're so embarrassed on your behalf.

Now, let's go over what Crick said that made you widdle yourself, toss out deflections and run.

As long as every value in the comparison is an anomaly from the same baseline, what does it matter?

And if you don't understand the question, ask one of the grownups here to help you. Even a bright fourth grader could grasp it, so if there's a child around, have them help you out.

by Joe Romm Mar 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Feb2-16NASA.jpg

CREDIT: NASA

Share 830
Tweet
How hot was it last month globally? It was so hot that the famed Iditarod sled race in Alaska brought in extra snow from hundreds of miles away by train.

It was so hot that NASA now reports that last month beat the all-time global record for hottest February by a stunning 0.85°F, when such records are usually measured in hundredths of a degree.

NASA2-16Tamino-638x382.jpeg

Global mean surface temperature (anomaly from 1951-1980 mean). NASA data (h/t Tamino). Red dot is February.

It was so hot last month that large parts of the Arctic averaged more than 18°F (10°C) above normal. Not only did last month easily set the record for lowest February Arctic sea ice extent, as the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) reported, but Arctic sea ice growth has been almost flat for over a month during a time when it normally soars to its annual maximum.

Feb2-16NSIDC-638x499.jpg

It was so hot that February had the single biggest recorded monthly temperature anomaly (deviation from the 1951-1980 average temperature) — a whopping 2.4°F (1.35°C) above the average temperature for the month. The previous record deviation from the average — 2.0°F (1.13°C) — you may recall, was set in January.
----

It is becoming clear that global warming + the nino is doing some extreme stuff. We need to all agree as it is obvious.
Great news! Now weather = climate again and more places are habitable for people.
Call us when palm trees and crocodiles return to Alaska.
And still using the cherry picked data to determine the median again, love the dishonesty!

It is really amazing that you have no idea how utterly insane you always sound, WitheredMan.

Nothing in the OP even remotely hinted at your braindead comment that "Now weather = climate again".

Your crackpot conspiracy theories - "still using the cherry picked data" - about all of the world's scientists are as ridiculous and absurd as always.

How does it feel to be a retarded troll, WitheredMan? You seem to be the 'expert' on that point.
Not my fault you're an idiot at statistics.
And other things.

Not my fault you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, WitheredMan. Too bad you are such a delusional retard! Such a shame you hallucinate that you know more about anything, including "statistics", than all of the world's actual scientists. You poor brain damaged imbecile.
Hilarious coming from the moron who thinks 1981 - 2010 represents world history.

Even more hilarious is the fact that you are so ignorant and retarded, WitheredMan, that you don't even understand what climate scientists mean by a month by month temperature baseline using the average temperature for each month over the period from 1951 to 1980, or why they measure current temperature as anomalies from the baseline temperature for that month. You are a clueless troll, putting on airs like you actually know something, when your every post demonstrates that you don't know shit from shoe polish.

Feb2-16NASA.jpg

Share 830
Tweet
How hot was it last month globally? It was so hot that the famed Iditarod sled race in Alaska brought in extra snow from hundreds of miles away by train.

It was so hot that NASA now reports that last month beat the all-time global record for hottest February by a stunning 0.85°F, when such records are usually measured in hundredths of a degree.

Global mean surface temperature (anomaly from 1951-1980 mean). NASA data (h/t Tamino). Red dot is February.

It was so hot last month that large parts of the Arctic averaged more than 18°F (10°C) above normal. Not only did last month easily set the record for lowest February Arctic sea ice extent, as the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) reported, but Arctic sea ice growth has been almost flat for over a month during a time when it normally soars to its annual maximum.

Feb2-16NSIDC-638x499.jpg

It was so hot that February had the single biggest recorded monthly temperature anomaly (deviation from the 1951-1980 average temperature) — a whopping 2.4°F (1.35°C) above the average temperature for the month. The previous record deviation from the average — 2.0°F (1.13°C) — you may recall, was set in January.
----

It is becoming clear that global warming + the nino is doing some extreme stuff. We need to all agree as it is obvious.
Great news! Now weather = climate again and more places are habitable for people.

It is really amazing that you have no idea how utterly insane you always sound, WitheredMan.

Nothing in the OP even remotely hinted at your braindead comment that "Now weather = climate again".

Your crackpot conspiracy theories - "still using the cherry picked data" - about all of the world's scientists are as ridiculous and absurd as always.

How does it feel to be a retarded troll, WitheredMan? You seem to be the 'expert' on that point.
And other things.

Not my fault you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, WitheredMan. Too bad you are such a delusional retard! Such a shame you hallucinate that you know more about anything, including "statistics", than all of the world's actual scientists. You poor brain damaged imbecile.
Hilarious coming from the moron who thinks 1981 - 2010 represents world history.

Even more hilarious is the fact that you are so ignorant and retarded, WitheredMan, that you don't even understand what climate scientists mean by a month by month temperature baseline using the average temperature for each month over the period from 1951 to 1980, or why they measure current temperature as anomalies from the baseline temperature for that month. You are a clueless troll, putting on airs like you actually know something, when your every post demonstrates that you don't know shit from shoe polish.
Not only do you cherry pick data you cherry pick which chart I was talking about. Using 1981-2010 as a mean sea ice extent is 100% dishonest and unscientific.

What cherry picked data are you talking about? The 1951-1980 mean? Since all anomalies in the comparison are using the same baseline, why don't you explain to us how that affects the results of that comparison. Eh?
1981-2010. That's what we who work with statistics everyday scientifically call bullshit data manipulating. You parented that in my meeting I'd have you tossed from the building and told never to return.

I fully admit it's an old baseline, but you failed to answer my question. As long as every value in the comparison is an anomaly from the same baseline, what does it matter?

PS "Have you thrown from the building". I hope you realize what a child such comments make you sound.
I'm not going to waste my time teaching you statistics, so I'll keep it short and simple for you to grasp.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A BASELINE OF ANYTHING EXCEPT CHERRY PICKED YEARS. YOUR CHART IS USELESS.
How can you teach something that you show you have never learned? You can pick any baseline you please, and if the anolomys continue to go in one direction, that is an indication that something is acting as a driver. And if we really wanted to make it look more serious we would pick the period from 1950 to 1980.

Feb2-16NASA.jpg

Share 830
Tweet

Feb2-16NSIDC-638x499.jpg

----

And other things.

Not only do you cherry pick data you cherry pick which chart I was talking about. Using 1981-2010 as a mean sea ice extent is 100% dishonest and unscientific.
Now, silly ass, the reason for picking those dates is that is the first period that we had active satellite observation of the polar caps.

And present temperatures are right off that chart.
That was debunked a long time ago.
It is hilarious that you imagine that any "debunking" of the temperature data has actually happened in the real world. Your deranged cult of AGW denial is as idiotic and laughable as the Flat Earth Society wackos. They "debunked" space flight, satellites, and moon landings, to their own satisfaction....just like you denier cult clowns "debunk" human caused global warming and its consequent climate changes....sooooo delusional!

In the real wold...

FebruaryTemp.jpg

Monthly global average surface temperatures, with Feb. 2016 indicated. - IMAGE: NASA GISS

It is hilarious that you imagine that any "debunking" of the temperature data has actually happened in the real world. Your deranged cult of AGW denial is as idiotic and laughable as the Flat Earth Society wackos. They "debunked" space flight, satellites, and moon landings, to their own satisfaction....just like you denier cult clowns "debunk" human caused global warming and its consequent climate changes....sooooo delusional!

In the real wold...

FebruaryTemp.jpg

Monthly global average surface temperatures, with Feb. 2016 indicated. - IMAGE: NASA GISS
You are the wacko doomsday cult fool, Chicken Little.

You simply don't know it because you are a brainwashed fool.

Feb2-16NASA.jpg

Share 830
Tweet

Feb2-16NSIDC-638x499.jpg

----

And other things.

More denial of reality and the fundamentals of scientific data analysis based only on your own almost complete ignorance and stupidity, and your very obvious severe affliction with the Dunning-Kruger Effect - "A way to summarize these results is to say that those who are truly stupid are too stupid to realize that they are stupid. As Dunning has put it, slightly less colorfully: 'If you're incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent.…The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer even is'."

As far as using the period from 1981 to 2010 as a baseline for changes in modern ice extent, as Old Rocks just told you....

Now, silly ass, the reason for picking those dates is that is the first period that we had active satellite observation of the polar caps.

Feb2-16NASA.jpg

Share 830
Tweet

Feb2-16NSIDC-638x499.jpg

----

And other things.

More denial of reality and the fundamentals of scientific data analysis based only on your own almost complete ignorance and stupidity, and your very obvious severe affliction with the Dunning-Kruger Effect - "A way to summarize these results is to say that those who are truly stupid are too stupid to realize that they are stupid. As Dunning has put it, slightly less colorfully: 'If you're incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent.…The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer even is'."

As far as using the period from 1981 to 2010 as a baseline for changes in modern ice extent, as Old Rocks just told you....

Trying to justify distorting statistics, typical unscientific cultist. Nobody cares about using 1981-2010 as a baseline except liars who need to lie to support their cultist views.

Sea ice extent records go well beyond 1981-2010. The only reason for cherry picking those years is it distorts reality enough to support your lies.

Gorebal Warmers are the most unscientific people on the planet. Even flat earthers and man never went to the moon cults.

How can you teach something that you show you have never learned? You can pick any baseline you please, and if the anolomys continue to go in one direction, that is an indication that something is acting as a driver. And if we really wanted to make it look more serious we would pick the period from 1950 to 1980.
Like I said, you cultists need to cherry pick data to fit your lies.

Gotta love climate change. Already had a backyard BBQ, and it's only March.
Proving that there maybe something to it. ;)
warm? So what's wrong with it being 60 degrees in March? What temps do you think those in the Northern Hemisphere ought to have? BTW, an average temperature is not a normal temperature. Just so you don't pull that one out.

And there is more of JustCrazy's usual vacuous, meaningless drivel.

BTW, little retard, "average temperature" DOES INDEED equal "normal temperature".

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Weather Service
Definitions
Climatology - The description and scientific study of climate. (2) A quantitative description of climate showing the characteristic values of climate variables over a region. (3) The 30-year average of a variable, like temperature, at a given location and time of year.

Climatological Normal - The prevailing set of weather conditions calculated over a 30-year period, presently 1981-2010. Note that the climatological normal taken over different periods of time (30 years, 1000 years) may be different.

Above Normal - One of the outlook categories that are based on the 1981-2010 climatological normal. During this 30 year reference period, average three-month temperature was observed in Above Normal category (10 warmest years) 1/3 (33.3%) of the time.

Near Normal - One of the outlook categories that are based on the 1981-2010 climatological normal. During this 30 year reference period, average three-month climate variable was observed in Near Normal category (the 10 years between the 10 warmest and the 10 coolest years) 1/3 (33.3%) of the time.

Below Normal - One of the outlook categories that are based on the 1981-2010 climatological normal. During this 30 year reference period, average three-month temperature was observed in Below Normal category (10 coolest years) 1/3 (33.3%) of the time.
no average is average. there is no normal temperature. nice try, just because weather centers use the terminology, doesn't make it so. average is a calculation. You all like that term a lot. deal with it.

In the real wold...

FebruaryTemp.jpg

nice reconfiguration. How long do you supposed it took them to end up there? Love how NASA manipulates the actual station numbers. Again, how many stations are used?

For the record, can any cultist justify why so much of the planet should remain covered in ice?

I know what you're going to answer, and this will be fun.

What say you?

So that other portions of the planet where billions of people actually live don't become uninhabitable.

So, what did your cult tell you that the dirty liberals were going to say? Go on, amuse us.

That is your purpose here now, to provide amusement for the rational people, and to serve as a warning to others of what happens when someone self-lobotomizes themselves through fanatical devotion to a cult.

So that other portions of the planet where billions of people actually live don't become uninhabitable.

So, what did your cult tell you that the dirty liberals were going to say? Go on, amuse us.

That is your purpose here now, to provide amusement for the rational people, and to serve as a warning to others of what happens when someone self-lobotomizes themselves through fanatical devotion to a cult.
hahahahahhahahahaha, wow. So the lower half of the planet is more important than the northern half?

Obviously yes, being that billions of people live there, compared to almost nobody living in the high arctic.

jc, are you going openly mega-genocidal on us, and declaring that it's no biggy if billions of people die?

What regions of the planet will become inhabitable? Do tell us.

Large portions of India, Pakistan, Egypt, West Africa, Australia and the midwestern USA.

A 5C rise will result in days with wet bulb temperatures of over 35C, which is lethal to any human or large animal that can't get into an air conditioned space. At that combination of temperature and humidity, a person resting in the shade next to a fan still overheats and dies. Conditions like that would only be seen on the hottest days, but it would only take one such day to kill everyone.

And even if you can AC the people, the crops still die. For example, corn dies after a few hours at 110F. And all the livestock dies, and much of the wildlife.

Forum List

Back