Red States Depend on Government Spending

Nyvin

Gold Member
Sep 23, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/27/business/Big-Government-States.html?ref=business

Despite all the talk about "smaller government" and "less spending" it turns out the states that depend most on this spending and local income are actually republican leaning states. 4 out of the top 5 states that employ the most government workers as a proportion of their population are red states...while 13 out of 15 of the states with the fewest government workers are blue states that lean democratic.

Furthermore Virginia and Maryland might as well be exempt from this list due to their proximity to DC and the inevitable federal employment that will be found there, which leaves Washington, Hawaii, and New Mexico as the only real 3 blue states in the top 15.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/27/business/Big-Government-States.html?ref=business

Despite all the talk about "smaller government" and "less spending" it turns out the states that depend most on this spending and local income are actually republican leaning states. 4 out of the top 5 states that employ the most government workers as a proportion of their population are red states...while 13 out of 15 of the states with the fewest government workers are blue states that lean democratic.

Furthermore Virginia and Maryland might as well be exempt from this list due to their proximity to DC and the inevitable federal employment that will be found there, which leaves Washington, Hawaii, and New Mexico as the only real 3 blue states in the top 15.

Are they counting faculty at public universities as "government workers?" How about Postal employees? How about constructions crews working on "public works" projects?

I am in a Red State and I mean to stay. You are in a Blue State and, apparently, you mean to stay.
And, I bet we can agree that each of us wants the other to stay where he is.

There ought to be more agreement on this board, like this, and more politeness. You will note that I did a "thank" you for your post, mainly because it didn't refer to the people in the Red States as "nutters" or "idiots" as most post do from people in Blue States.

Everybody has known for a long time that, say, New York people pay more into the Federal Treasury, than, say, Mississippi people. Another way of saying it, is that Mississippi gets mote Federal money, than its people pay into the Federal Government. This is you point, as I understand it, and it ought to be clear.

Yet, Mississippians, as a rule, hate the Federal Government. I believe this is also part of your point. You sniff hypocrisy.

But, this advantage that Mississippi, for example, has over New York, for example--in money, comes with a cost---a thing called Strings--rather Control in every facet of our life--things that ought to be left to local government--like the education of our very own children.

But Control is not the only problem. Waste is another grievous problem, and sometimes the money is worst than waste--sometimes it does positive harm, like when a young man needs welfare for a brief period---yet the Federal Government makes the free money so easy and happily doles it out for so long, the young man, without realizing it is even occurring--loses all self esteem; gets happy just hanging out AND BECOMES A DEMOCRAT

The insidious effect of Federal Money coming into any State is to take control. Buy votes and take control. This money that your are talking about is the way Big Brother takes over.

Now, the import of your post is that folks like me, in a Net Taker state, ought to be quiet, but we don't care to be quiet. In fact, I say Fuck the Federal Government.

It taxes the hell out of us, both in New York and Mississippi, and has wasted most of it--and here is the point you haven't considered--the money it is now wasting both in New York and Mississippi, didn't come mostly from New York. It is BORROWED. Comes from places like China and Oil Rich Arabia.

Once congress figured out that they could buy votes with the people's own money, Republican whores and Democratic whores alike went at it with a vengeance; and when they ran out of tax money they started borrowing money to buy the votes and have run up a sum of debt that assures us that our children and grandchildren will be asking us why we didn't indict the whole bunch--and none of us--in New York or Mississippi, are going to be able to give them a legitimate answer. But, it was a hell of a ride while it lasted.

And the only reason the Republican whores and the Democratic whores in Congress are squabbling now, is that the Chinese and the Oil Rich Arabs are about to cut off the credit.

Fuck the Federal Government.

_______________-
Edited to apologize to any real whores out there who took offense at being called Congressmen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back