Refuting rightwing myth about wealth redistribution

You know what? After several years (and plenty of experience), I've discovered that whenever conservatives have a new 'outrage,' or a new set of 'facts,' or a new story of some 'outrage,' far and away, the smartest thing for me to do is doubt this new 'truth' or the supposed authenticity of the claim. More often than not (FAR more often), their claims are either inaccurate, overblown, or little more than just plain propaganda.

I've found the vast majority of right wing talking points to be outright lies. When they get "caught" and the lie no longer works, they say, "But that was never my position'.

Of course they're lies. But not everyone who repeats what they're told or what they hear are aware that it's a lie. So, strictly speaking, those people aren't liars. They may be too trusting, or lacking in critical thinking skills, but they're not liars. They're simply ignorant fools who are being used by influential people to push someone else's agenda.

Rich people pay Fox people to tell Middle Class people that it's the brown people's and the Union's fault.

I've found the vast majority of right wing talking points to be outright lies. When they get "caught" and the lie no longer works, they say, "But that was never my position'.

Of course they're lies. But not everyone who repeats what they're told or what they hear are aware that it's a lie. So, strictly speaking, those people aren't liars. They may be too trusting, or lacking in critical thinking skills, but they're not liars. They're simply ignorant fools who are being used by influential people to push someone else's agenda.

Rich people pay Fox people to tell Middle Class people that it's the brown people's and the Union's fault.

They do? Linkypoo???

80% of the wealth increase in the last 30 years has gone to the top 4%.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 93% of the National Debt by lowering taxes for the rich.

Wall Street ran a $516 trillion dollar derivatives Ponzi scheme that stole billions of dollars from the world economy.

The wealth has already been redistributed.

half-of-america-has-25-of-the-wealth.jpg

They do? Linkypoo???

A link to what?

80% of the wealth increase in the last 30 years has gone to the top 4%.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 93% of the National Debt by lowering taxes for the rich.

Wall Street ran a $516 trillion dollar derivatives Ponzi scheme that stole billions of dollars from the world economy.

The wealth has already been redistributed.

Bingo! Give that man a cigar! (I'll shoot ya a rep when I'm on a computer)

It isn't "refuting" anything, it's Bill Dumbhoff's opinion about wealth. The professor who has a PHD in psychology and probably lives rather well in Santa Cruz, Ca. might be the first one to realize that he suffers from left wing guilt. He surely ain't gonna change his standard of living so he writes useless articles that stupid left wingers eat up like tainted popcorn.

The top 1% are all on the left of the political spectrum.

Yes, it is not pretty, but watcha gonna do?

Last edited:

Rich people pay Fox people to tell Middle Class people that it's the brown people's and the Union's fault

I don't think they like the term brown people or negro anymore....I think black or black American is preferred...I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin. :eusa_shhh:

What makes this conversation so difficult is that the left reagards this chart as an epiphany, and the right regards it as a sin.

We are not supposed to cover that which belongs to another. For the left, rich people's money (unless it is socially approved rich like George Soros or Michael Moore) is tainted. For the right it is twice tainted: Taint mine and it taint yours.

For the left, they get all vapored and exited about how much money other people have. For the right, they want to have similar piles. And that these piles of wealth are commensurate with intelligence, hard work, thrift. So if they work hard, save, plan wisely they will be the 1%

The right notes that much of these famous 1% are first generation. The most famouse lefty ones in particular. Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, George Soros, Bill Gates, Glenn Beck, Oprah Winfrey are all first generation 1% ers.

Much of the bottom percentiles are there as they dropped out of college, committed crimes, drink or drug too much, spend too much on lottery tickets or what have you. You can move from per centile to percentile easily. Which direction you want to go is up to you.

isn't in ironic how the right wing GOPtards ignored the link in the OP and trolled the thread?

What makes this conversation so difficult is that the left reagards this chart as an epiphany, and the right regards it as a sin.

We are not supposed to cover that which belongs to another. For the left, rich people's money (unless it is socially approved rich like George Soros or Michael Moore) is tainted. For the right it is twice tainted: Taint mine and it taint yours.

For the left, they get all vapored and exited about how much money other people have. For the right, they want to have similar piles. And that these piles of wealth are commensurate with intelligence, hard work, thrift. So if they work hard, save, plan wisely they will be the 1%

The right notes that much of these famous 1% are first generation. The most famouse lefty ones in particular. Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, George Soros, Bill Gates, Glenn Beck, Oprah Winfrey are all first generation 1% ers.

Much of the bottom percentiles are there as they dropped out of college, committed crimes, drink or drug too much, spend too much on lottery tickets or what have you. You can move from per centile to percentile easily. Which direction you want to go is up to you.

Yes, all those people who chose to be policemen, firemen, teachers, soldiers, and other ordinary workers are idiots.

They should have all become hedge fund managers.

The Republican Party lowered taxes for the rich to the point that they pay taxes at a lower rate than the rest of us.

Do you think that is fair?

Very interesting study of the breakdown in income and wealth of the TOP 1%.

The 99th to 99.5th percentiles largely include physicians, attorneys, upper middle management, and small business people who have done well. Everyone's tax situation is, of course, a little different. On earned income in this group, we can figure somewhere around 25% to 30% of total pre-tax income will go to Federal, State, and Social Security taxes, leaving them with around $250k to $300k post tax. This group makes extensive use of 401-k's, SEP-IRA's, Defined Benefit Plans, and other retirement vehicles, which defer taxes until distribution during retirement. Typical would be yearly contributions in the $50k to $100k range, leaving our elite working group with yearly cash flows of $175k to $250k after taxes, or about $15k to $20k per month.

The above are the folks who I believe are MOST GETTING SCREWED by our not really progressive enough system.

These people are the folks who I think actually deserved every freaking cent they make.

Data on net worth distributions within the top 1% indicate that one enters the top 0.5% with about $1.8M,

the top 0.25% with $3.1M,

the top 0.10% with $5.5M

top 0.01% with $24.4M.

Wealth distribution is highly skewed towards the top 0.01%, increasing the overall average for this group.

Last edited:
Yes, all those people who chose to be policemen, firemen, teachers, soldiers, and other ordinary workers are idiots.

They should have all become hedge fund managers.

The Republican Party lowered taxes for the rich to the point that they pay taxes at a lower rate than the rest of us.

Do you think that is fair?

Your hero Clintoon is the one who lowered the capital gains tax to 15%, dipstick.

So, in other words, you have nothing other than your bullshit race baiting? Thanks for clearing that up.

Just Fox, Foxbot.

Fox, who wants you to think that the OWS protesters don't have a message...that the OWS protesters are just "unwashed masses".

Keep watching Fox so they can convince you to work against your own self interest. Let them talk you into believing that the staggering income inequality in this country doesn't matter and that it is the unions, the illegals and the Muslims that are the problem in this country, not the greed of Wall Street.

Neg rep to your hearts content Foxbot...just means I hit a nerve. :lol:

Forum List

Back