Reid Changing Filibuster Rules

Wasn't Harry against the nuclear option before he was for it?

He went along with McCain thinking that the obstruction could be defused with the "moderates" in the GOP like McCain, Collins, and Kirk. McCain was wrong, or duped him, one of the two, and so Reid basically said "to hell with it" and Nuked the filibuster.

I kind of like the idea of making a Senator or Representative have to actually stand on the floor and make a real filibuster. This crap where they can literally phone it in, anonymously, is the epitome of cowardice.

I just thought of another famous battle between a President and Congress over court nominations. FDR got it in his head that the Constitution does not limit the number of Supreme Court justices, and so he tried to pack that court with six additional justices. He was tired of some of his social (ist) programs getting defeated in court.

Dear Obama:

The founders built this country on the aspect of equality, namely equal rights for the majority AND minority. For a liberal like you to sit there and defend equal rights under the law, then turn around and allow this egregious breach of power is hypocritical. So, when your party ever finds itself in the minority in the Senate remember this day well.

:clap2:

Yup.
'Court packing' IS a two-way street.

Wasn't Harry against the nuclear option before he was for it?

When Obama was a senator he was against it. He said it was a power grab but I guess since he's the one grabbing the power it's OK

Just like when a 9 trillion debt ceiling was unpatriotic when he wasn't president but a 17 trillion one is OK as long as he's doing the spending.

He's a hypocrite. Imagine that.

The far right continues to amuse: scream because Cruz's filibuster is called for what is; that the Dems are going to do what the Pubs will do to them; and so forth.

The GOP has a chance to take the Senate next year IF the far right freaks do not try to shut down the govt and default the debt again.

You folks are going to live in reality instead of the strange universe of your minds.

It will be fun to watch the flip that will happen with the talking points when thr power shifts.

When Obama tried to turn the US into Czarist Russia in his first two years, who could blame them for wanting to filibuster his nominees? All those Czars. Something had to be done.

Proving you know squat.

Czars ....... :lol:

:anj_stfu:

Aaand, what facts did you refute my argument with just now?

Beginning in 2009, Obama has appointed a total of 38 Executive Branch Czars, which is higher than Bush's 33. Five out of the 38 appointees Obama made were ever confirmed by the Senate.

Czars in American politic has nothing to do with Czarist Russia . None, zip nada.....many of the appointees don't require Senate confirmation. The term itself in American politics is a media creation. Citing President Obama's appointments as proof that he is turning us into that is beyond reasonable. Something you get from the echo-chamber.

And that would be different - how, Darkwind?
Tell Me again what was the reason the Democrats and liberals fought so hard to keep this from happening when the GOP was in charge of the Senate?

Link?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/09/p...nt&adxnnlx=1385046641-qbLjkhz/RyRxmXQdfrgB2A&

The accusations took place against the backdrop of a looming showdown over Senate rules governing the confirmation of President Bush's judicial nominees. Republicans are threatening to change Senate procedures to end the power of the Democratic minority to block confirmation by exploiting the requirement of 60 votes to end debate, arguing that Democrats have already in effect changed the rules by blocking 10 of Mr. Bush's appeals court nominees.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader, praised Mr. Bush's support for "an independent judiciary," then called on him to ask Senate Republicans to drop their threats to change the rules.

"The threat to change Senate rules is a raw abuse of power and will destroy the very checks and balances our founding fathers put in place to prevent absolute power by any one branch of government," Mr. Reid said.

Last edited:
The founders put nothing about filibuster in the constitution. It s a peculiar practice of the Senate and it has had its day

Indeed.

And I hope you whiny liberals will remember that when, after 2014, the rules change bites you in the ass.

And it will.

Fine....let's go there

I like the Democrats chances to hold the Senate for the next generation. Let's end filibuster across the board

Agree?

You fail to realize something, the concept of protecting the minority was a concept known to all of the framers before that time. Thomas Jefferson knew about it, James Madison knew about it. The framers understood the difficult relationship between majority rule and minority rights. One problem the framers prepared for is that minorities can be exploited by the majority. In response to this difficulty, the framers designed a government that restricted the majority's ability to interfere with or violate the rights of the minority. This included guaranteed rights and protections granted to all peoples which cannot be taken away no matter what the opinion of the majority might be. The Amendments to the US Constitution contain many or the principles upon which majority rule must function and the rules which must be observed in order to preserve and respect minority rights.

That's an entire separate argument, though one that informs your other argument. There is a difference between saying "the rights of minorities need protecting" and "the filibuster is necessary to protect the rights of minorities". The Framers clearly didn't think so, hence why they did not use the filibuster.

Uh yeah, they did. As early as 1801 they did. If you fancy yourself as some history major, try looking up some facts first.

That's simply not accurate. In fact, Senate rules were structured in such a way that it would not have been possible to filibuster until 1806.

That's the biggest load of unsubstantiated nonsense I've ever heard.

Up until the routine use of the filibuster over the last decade or so, when was the filibuster used? Mostly to oppose civil rights statutes.

Say what? Who was it who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Democratic Senator Robert Byrd. So, that argument is bunk.

You realize that post contains nothing that undermines my argument, right?

Proving you know squat.

Czars ....... :lol:

:anj_stfu:

Aaand, what facts did you refute my argument with just now?

Beginning in 2009, Obama has appointed a total of 38 Executive Branch Czars, which is higher than Bush's 33. Five out of the 38 appointees Obama made were ever confirmed by the Senate.

Czars in American politic has nothing to do with Czarist Russia . None, zip nada.....many of the appointees don't require Senate confirmation. The term itself in American politics is a media creation. Citing President Obama's appointments as proof that he is turning us into that is beyond reasonable. Something you get from the echo-chamber.

Wow. Remind me to educate you on the use of sarcasm.

They've all changed hats. You can't tell the pigs from the humans any more.

As the applause dies down and the card game is resumed, the animals creep away from the window. However, they hurry back when they hear a furious argument break out. The argument is because Mr. Pilkington and Napoleon have both played an Ace of Spades at the same time. But as the animals look from Napoleon to Pilkington, from man to pig and from pig back to man, they find that they are unable to tell the difference.

Last edited:
I don't want to hear any liberals complain when the GOP takes control of the Senate and they repeal OC with 51 votes. They opened it up to themselves.

They would have done that anyway.

Wrong. They had the opportunity to do exactly what Reid just did and refrained.
So no moral equivalence this time. Sorry.

But why did they refrain? The "Gang of 14" process that gave them pretty much everything they wanted in the first place. The threat was successful.

Up until the routine use of the filibuster over the last decade or so, when was the filibuster used? Mostly to oppose civil rights statutes.

Say what? Who was it who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Democratic Senator Robert Byrd. So, that argument is bunk.

You realize that post contains nothing that undermines my argument, right?

I don't. The fact that you're proclaiming it doesn't undermine your argument means I did in fact undermine it.

Sit down.

Forum List

Back