Reloading.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Alright you reloaders,I'm going to dive into reloading. Even the Wife agrees that I should,she's well aware of my ammo purchases and the cost and totally agrees that it would be worth the investment in equipment.
I'm looking to go top notch in equipment. I know I can learn a lot just by searching the internet but a heads up on what I should avoid would be appreciated.
I have every inspection tool that I could possibly need,I'm looking for the best quality equipment to do the job.
So what ya got?

What do you intend to reload for? I use RCBS presses for rifle and handgun Mech or Lyman for shotgun. Spend the money for really good up to date reloading manuals.

Mainly handgun rounds and AR rounds since I shoot those the most.In handguns I'm looking at .45, .380 , 40 S&W , 10mm and 10mm Mag.
In the AR it'll be 5.56

What do you intend to reload for? I use RCBS presses for rifle and handgun Mech or Lyman for shotgun. Spend the money for really good up to date reloading manuals.

Again I'm looking for the best quality machines and dies.

I'm really asking is what I'm going to need as far as equipment goes.
Brass tumblers and the like.

Alright you reloaders,I'm going to dive into reloading. Even the Wife agrees that I should,she's well aware of my ammo purchases and the cost and totally agrees that it would be worth the investment in equipment.
I'm looking to go top notch in equipment. I know I can learn a lot just by searching the internet but a heads up on what I should avoid would be appreciated.
I have every inspection tool that I could possibly need,I'm looking for the best quality equipment to do the job.
So what ya got?
If you're reloading for a semi, like a ar15, you'll need a small base die

So what ya got?
I have one of these. They're kinda cool

So what ya got?
I have one of these. They're kinda cool

How many rounds can you load in an hour?
This seems excessive when it comes to time.
I could see this if you're making match loads but it seems like it'd take forever in normal loads.

Rounds per hour depends on the machine and you. I have used Lee and RCBS, always hankering for a Dillon progressive and if you want mainly handgun rounds and lots of them look at Dillon. He was not a shooter, reloader but saw a need and filled it.

Presses, carbide dies, shell holders, broken case extractor, bullet puller (collet or inertia or both) Scales. Powder thrower, trickler, Lee case primer is cool unless you have a dillon. Tumbler and walnut media. Primer pocket cleaner. Load data. Notebook. Chrono. Hmmmm, I know there is more!

Have fun. I have been reloading 45 years now. Load all my shotshells too.

Rounds per hour depends on the machine and you. I have used Lee and RCBS, always hankering for a Dillon progressive and if you want mainly handgun rounds and lots of them look at Dillon. He was not a shooter, reloader but saw a need and filled it.

Presses, carbide dies, shell holders, broken case extractor, bullet puller (collet or inertia or both) Scales. Powder thrower, trickler, Lee case primer is cool unless you have a dillon. Tumbler and walnut media. Primer pocket cleaner. Load data. Notebook. Chrono. Hmmmm, I know there is more!

Have fun. I have been reloading 45 years now. Load all my shotshells too.

I'm looking at the Hornady Lock n Load or possibly the Dillon.
I've got a Sonic cleaner for the brass,would I still need the tumbler?
I want a clear idea of everything needed before I jump in.
Shit can get confusing with all the options. I know I'll need a case facer and a neck turner and of course dies.

Shit can get confusing with all the options. I know I'll need a case facer and a neck turner and of course dies.

Oh yeah, a case trimmer for sure and pilots and reamers. I don't know about the sonic, guess it does the same thing.

Haven't looked at the Hornady but they make greatstuff. I been following Dillon since he started. Good presses. 450 rounds per hr of pistol or so. I can do 50-100 of 38sp in an hour on a single stage. Heavy press like an RCBS Rockchucker great for rifle carts, especially any case reforming like necking down.

Oh yeah, a case trimmer for sure and pilots and reamers. I don't know about the sonic, guess it does the same thing.

Haven't looked at the Hornady but they make greatstuff. I been following Dillon since he started. Good presses. 450 rounds per hr of pistol or so. I can do 50-100 of 38sp in an hour on a single stage. Heavy press like an RCBS Rockchucker great for rifle carts, especially any case reforming like necking down.

So the Dillon is more of a pistol round machine?
I know the Hornady will do both pistol and rifle rounds.
Quick question: What should I expect to pay for dies and tooling if I was going to be reloading 5.56 in rifles and .380,.45 acp,.40S&W,10mm and 10mm Mag in pistol rounds?
I dont shoot my shotguns or my deer rifles enough to worry about reloading.

So what ya got?
Do it the easy way......... Paper cartridges........ :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Quick question: What should I expect to pay for dies and tooling if I was going to be reloading 5.56 in rifles and .380,.45 acp,.40S&W,10mm and 10mm Mag in pistol rounds?

No it will do rifle too just like anyother, especially kick out 556. Many of us prefer SLOOOOOOOOW and sure when doing rifle carts, single stage. Not sure what one will cost now, dies are a big expense. Depends on the machine you like, he has a selection. If I was focusing on handguns it would be a dillon.

No it will do rifle too just like anyother, especially kick out 556. Many of us prefer SLOOOOOOOOW and sure when doing rifle carts, single stage. Not sure what one will cost now, dies are a big expense. Depends on the machine you like, he has a selection. If I was focusing on handguns it would be a dillon.

In a typical day of shooting I'll go through 400 or 500 5.56, and around the same in .45.
Of course with the new S&W 10mm I'll be going through 300 rounds of various calibers in it.
I'd love to have a loader with the auto feed of the brass and bullets but I think that would be overkill for my applications.
From what I've read you can load up to 500 rounds an hour once your brass is prepared.

Yes 500 an hour with a progressive. Look at the "square deal B" the 550, the essiential kits good too. Comes with 1 die.

Yes 500 an hour with a progressive. Look at the "square deal B" the 550, the essiential kits good too. Comes with 1 die.

Definitely going with the progressive.
I keep going back to the Hornady lock n load progressive. At $500 bucks it's a pretty good deal and gets great reviews.
1607561690425.png

That Dillon looks comparable to the Hornady.

Forum List

Back