Remake "Roots"; But make Toby a white Irish actor. Would it be ok?

Read White Cargo by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh for a true understanding how bad white slavery was in colonial America.

White Cargo is a brilliant b/c it is neutral, well sourced, and, reads well.

You know..............many of those white slaves who came over here from Ireland weren't exactly "slaves". They were indentured servants who agreed to work for someone for a period of time (usually 7 years) in exchange for passage over here from Europe.

Black slaves weren't released and told they were free after 7 years very often. Matter of fact, it was rare that white slave owners gave blacks their freedom.

Except the slightest infraction added time for service for indentured servants, many died before ever getting freedom

Last edited:
White Slaves in America Outnumbered Black Slaves - Bet you didn't know that did you?

More whites were sold into slavery in America than blacks. Were you aware? Especially Irish whites.

I think Hollywood should remake the slave movie "Roots". But cast Toby as a white Irish character. Maybe Conan Obrien could be the lead.

"Whutch-yo name boy?"

"Aeden. Aeden O'Sullivan".

"Nope. Yo name Toby. I say Whutch-yo name boy"

"My name Aeden."

Hmmm. Wonder if the left would accept this as gleefully as the black Annie or black Bond or black Star Wars lead haha!!??
Your source on 'white slavery'....is just some dude's Wordpress website.

You do realize that's not actually a source, right?

It's good to keep in mind that there is no one alive today who doesn't have slaves and slave-owners in their family tree. Try to find a society in Europe, which is where white people came from to get here, that never kept slaves.

And, no, "that was so long ago it doesn't matter" won't cut it.

Funny how a thread with a silly premise, started in the wrong forum, has inspired so much serious discussion.

It's good to keep in mind that there is no one alive today who doesn't have slaves and slave-owners in their family tree. Try to find a society in Europe, which is where white people came from to get here, that never kept slaves.

Funny how a thread with a silly premise, started in the wrong forum, has inspired so much serious discussion.

If my family owned slaves perhaps you can tell me how many we owned.

White Slaves in America Outnumbered Black Slaves - Bet you didn't know that did you?

More whites were sold into slavery in America than blacks. Were you aware? Especially Irish whites.

I think Hollywood should remake the slave movie "Roots". But cast Toby as a white Irish character. Maybe Conan Obrien could be the lead.

"Whutch-yo name boy?"

"My name Aeden."

Hmmm. Wonder if the left would accept this as gleefully as the black Annie or black Bond or black Star Wars lead haha!!??
If you look at where contemporary (modern day) slavery still exists today, it exists in almost every country on the African continent to some degree.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Modern_incidence_of_slavery.png

I'm willing to be that those who are slaves and those who own them as slaves aren't white people.

Read White Cargo by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh for a true understanding how bad white slavery was in colonial America.

White Cargo is a brilliant b/c it is neutral, well sourced, and, reads well.

You know..............many of those white slaves who came over here from Ireland weren't exactly "slaves". They were indentured servants who agreed to work for someone for a period of time (usually 7 years) in exchange for passage over here from Europe.

Black slaves weren't released and told they were free after 7 years very often. Matter of fact, it was rare that white slave owners gave blacks their freedom.

Except the slightest infraction added time for service for indentured servants, many died before ever getting freedom

Says who? And what do you mean by 'many'? Because virtually all slaves died slaves until the 1860s.

I didn't say your family owned slaves. Think about it for a minute. Slave owner buys a pretty young female slave. He's bored with his wives. What do you imagine is the likely outcome? (No need to imagine; just look at the history of slavery in this country.)

I didn't say your family owned slaves. Think about it for a minute. Slave owner buys a pretty young female slave. He's bored with his wives. What do you imagine is the likely outcome? (No need to imagine; just look at the history of slavery in this country.)

You said there isn't a family tree that didn't have either slaves or slave owners. That's claiming everyone comes from a line where there were either slaves or slave owners. Since I'm part of everyone, you apply that claim to me whether you addressed me personally or not.

Again, tel me how many slaves those in my family tree owned since you think we did.

You said there isn't a family tree that didn't have either slaves or slave owners. That's claiming everyone comes from a line where there were either slaves or slave owners.

That's correct. Now, do you know where baby slaves come from? (Hint: It's not the stork, and there's more than one possibility.)

You said there isn't a family tree that didn't have either slaves or slave owners. That's claiming everyone comes from a line where there were either slaves or slave owners.

That's correct. Now, do you know where baby slaves come from? (Hint: It's not the stork, and there's more than one possibility.)

Who in my family tree owned slaves. I need a name, when, and how many slaves they owned.

Who in my family tree owned slaves. I need a name, when, and how many slaves they owned.

:rofl: Now this thread is funny...

Let me see if I can make this simpler: Where do babies come from?

If you can answer that, we can move forward.

If you're just going to keep asking the same stupid question, you can ask it into silence.

"Whutch-yo name boy?"

"My name Aeden."

are you referring to indentured servants, Bucs?

"Whutch-yo name boy?"

"My name Aeden."

Why be a copy-cat (assuming you could get the rights from the Haley estate) and pay to do a remake of somebody else's work?

Write your own script about the Redlegs. It's certainly an unexamined piece of American history. But brace yourself for the backlash from the "Scots-Irish" who will object to the portrayals.

Same reason they didn't do an original...but instead want to cast a black person as Bond or Annie.

I want Roots remade...but Toby is white.
a black Annie made no more sense than a black Oz cast.

Yeah, why can't a white guy play the role of an African Slave! I encourage Bucs to make this future cult classic lol

Well....Kunta Kintay was from Africa. My "Roots" remake would be a white slave. Of Irish descent. Which America had just as many of.

Main character Aeden O'Sullivan....played by Conan Obrien....in "Roots"...coming to theaters summer 2016!

It'd be ok. Right?

Yeah, an Irishman named Kunta...please make it I encourage you. If you start a fund online let me know