Remember the year 1968 ?

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated
Apollo 8's orbit of the moon
Chicago 1968 Dimocrat convention riots
100,000 Americans killed by the Hong Kong Flu
Nixon wins the...…………………………………………….WAIT ! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!!!! 100,000 Americans killed by a flu ? WTF ?

I'm sure those of you who were alive remember how all of the schools were closed ?
How stores and restaurants were closed ?
How we were all social distancing ?
How we all had to wear PPE ?
How the economy was closed, and unemployment was off the charts and how the stock market tanked, and millions of Americans lost everything they had worked for because Dimocrats demanded we all stayed home, so Nixon wouldn't be elected ?

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide.[11]

United States[edit]

The CDC estimated 100,000 people died in the U.S.[12] However, fewer people died during this pandemic than in previous pandemics for various reasons:[13]

1. some immunity against the N2 flu virus may have been retained in populations struck by the Asian Flu strains which had been circulating since 1957;
  2. the pandemic did not gain momentum until near the winter school holidays, thus limiting the infection spreading;
  3. improved medical care gave vital support to the very ill;
  4. the availability of antibiotics that were more effective against secondary bacterial infections.

Imagine how many we may have saved in 1968 if we had implemented some social distancing, used PPE, etc...

Oh wait, that doesn't fit in line with your irresponsible downplaying of a virus that has killed nearly 55,000 Americans in 2 months. Sorry; carry on.

I really don't know what it is about the blob that forces you guys to make such absurd arguments to downplay 50K lives being lost in 2 months.
Fake news.

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated
Nixon wins the...…………………………………………….WAIT ! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!!!! 100,000 Americans killed by a flu ? WTF ?

I'm sure those of you who were alive remember how all of the schools were closed ?
How the economy was closed, and unemployment was off the charts and how the stock market tanked, and millions of Americans lost everything they had worked for because Dimocrats demanded we all stayed home, so Nixon wouldn't be elected ?

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide.[11]

United States[edit]

The CDC estimated 100,000 people died in the U.S.[12] However, fewer people died during this pandemic than in previous pandemics for various reasons:[13]

1. some immunity against the N2 flu virus may have been retained in populations struck by the Asian Flu strains which had been circulating since 1957;
  2. the pandemic did not gain momentum until near the winter school holidays, thus limiting the infection spreading;
  4. the availability of antibiotics that were more effective against secondary bacterial infections.

What this argument ignores is that the current Virus has killed 50,000 in two months WITH social distancing and WITH closing businesses and WITH closing schools. Just think for a minute how many it would have killed WITHOUT all that work to keep us from being close to each other. Imagine it.

You're assuming that these measures were somehow effective in reducing the death toll.

But I don't see that as a fact at all. I saw the graph on TV when social distancing/quarantine were proposed. The measures weren't designed to reduce the number of dead at all- merely spread them out a bit, "flatten the curve" was the term used, in order to prevent over stressing of the healthcare system.
You have a point; they did say that. If you're not out and about though, you can't catch it or spread it. So there's that.

I was 3.
I only remember going in the big boy toidy for the first time.
I was 2 when JFK was shot and I remember it.
I do remember watching the first moon landing.
The toilet thing I remember because I embarrassed my parents by bringing my training seat with my turd in it while we had company.
I was proud of myself.

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

United States[edit]

What this argument ignores is that the current Virus has killed 50,000 in two months WITH social distancing and WITH closing businesses and WITH closing schools. Just think for a minute how many it would have killed WITHOUT all that work to keep us from being close to each other. Imagine it.

Yes, very likely all true. It still amazes me however that 100,000 did die, and I don't remember hearing a word about it. I was in the 6th and 7th grade, and no mentions of it that I can remember, and my mother who was afraid of her own shadow, and paranoid about everything, never warned any of us kids.
Me, too. I remember that year well for certain reasons. I don't remember anything about it either. Even the name "Hong Kong Flu" doesn't ring a bell.

I was 3.
The toilet thing I remember because I embarrassed my parents by bringing my training seat with my turd in it while we had company.
I was proud of myself.

The landing wasn't until '69. '68 was the first time a ship from earth orbited the moon.

The USA population was approximately 201 million in 1968. 331 million in 2020. So 100,000 flu deaths in 1968 adjusted for population growth would be approximately 165,000 deaths today.

I was 3.
I was proud of myself.

The landing wasn't until '69. '68 was the first time a ship from earth orbited the moon.

Well.
They say the memory is the first thing to go.

I think I may be there.

I was 3.
I was proud of myself.

Well.
They say the memory is the first thing to go.

I think I may be there.

Me too.

I was there, but I don't remember.

Me neither, and I don't even remember my parents warning us kids about it.
I was busy working at the city pool and they sure didn't shut down. In fact, I don't remember any kind of a flu that year, or any year since for that matter. Yep, the boys were going off to die.....
Did Corn Pop ever show up at that pool?

Corn Pop carries a razor.

I was 3.
I was proud of myself.

I VERY distinctly remember watching the moon landing with my mom, my sister, and my brother. I just asked my sister if she remembers it, and she does. She's a year and almost 9 months younger than I am, she would've been just 6 years old at the time, I had already turned 8. My brother was just 3 years old, I doubt he has any memory of it. My dad missed it because he was still working that evening.

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

United States[edit]

Yes, very likely all true. It still amazes me however that 100,000 did die, and I don't remember hearing a word about it. I was in the 6th and 7th grade, and no mentions of it that I can remember, and my mother who was afraid of her own shadow, and paranoid about everything, never warned any of us kids.
Me, too. I remember that year well for certain reasons. I don't remember anything about it either. Even the name "Hong Kong Flu" doesn't ring a bell.

Another gift from those fine folks from China.

Although of course HK was still a British colony at that time.

I was 3.
I was proud of myself.

I VERY distinctly remember watching the moon landing with my mom, my sister, and my brother. I just asked my sister if she remembers it, and she does. She's a year and almost 9 months younger than I am, she would've been just 6 years old at the time, I had already turned 8. My brother was just 3 years old, I doubt he has any memory of it. My dad missed it because he was still working that evening.

I was 13, it was awesome beyond belief to watch it unfold live. To this day that first landing and everything it took to get there makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Forum List

Back