Remember the year 1968 ?

Ah, 1968. I remember taking a very pale blond named "Tish" to see Jimi Hendrix at the Washington Hilton Hotel. I think it was in March. She dressed all in black, and had very light blue eyes. She was quite striking looking.

Later, with the aid of a bottle of Mateus Rose and my little brown pipe, there occurred a "Tish Boom Bah". :)

Such was the Age of Aquarius.

I was there, but I don't remember.

Me neither, and I don't even remember my parents warning us kids about it.
I was busy working at the city pool and they sure didn't shut down. In fact, I don't remember any kind of a flu that year, or any year since for that matter. Yep, the boys were going off to die.....
Did Corn Pop ever show up at that pool?

Corn Pop carries a razor.

I was 3.
I only remember going in the big boy toidy for the first time.
I was 2 when JFK was shot and I remember it.
I do remember watching the first moon landing.
The toilet thing I remember because I embarrassed my parents by bringing my training seat with my turd in it while we had company.
I was proud of myself.

The landing wasn't until '69. '68 was the first time a ship from earth orbited the moon.
I VERY distinctly remember watching the moon landing with my mom, my sister, and my brother. I just asked my sister if she remembers it, and she does. She's a year and almost 9 months younger than I am, she would've been just 6 years old at the time, I had already turned 8. My brother was just 3 years old, I doubt he has any memory of it. My dad missed it because he was still working that evening.

I was 13, it was awesome beyond belief to watch it unfold live. To this day that first landing and everything it took to get there makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I was up till 4AM watching, mesmerized.

I was there, but I don't remember.

Me neither, and I don't even remember my parents warning us kids about it.
I was busy working at the city pool and they sure didn't shut down. In fact, I don't remember any kind of a flu that year, or any year since for that matter. Yep, the boys were going off to die.....
Did Corn Pop ever show up at that pool?

Corn Pop carries a razor.

The best a man can be.

I was 3.
The toilet thing I remember because I embarrassed my parents by bringing my training seat with my turd in it while we had company.
I was proud of myself.

The landing wasn't until '69. '68 was the first time a ship from earth orbited the moon.
I VERY distinctly remember watching the moon landing with my mom, my sister, and my brother. I just asked my sister if she remembers it, and she does. She's a year and almost 9 months younger than I am, she would've been just 6 years old at the time, I had already turned 8. My brother was just 3 years old, I doubt he has any memory of it. My dad missed it because he was still working that evening.

I was 13, it was awesome beyond belief to watch it unfold live. To this day that first landing and everything it took to get there makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
I wish I had been a little older than 8 at the time, I probably would've appreciated the significance of the moment even more. But I WAS captivated by it, and I believe I wanted to be an astronaut for about 9 months or so, until I became a baseball fan! THEN I wanted to be a player for the Cubs someday.

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated
Apollo 8's orbit of the moon
Chicago 1968 Dimocrat convention riots
100,000 Americans killed by the Hong Kong Flu
Nixon wins the...…………………………………………….WAIT ! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!!!! 100,000 Americans killed by a flu ? WTF ?

I'm sure those of you who were alive remember how all of the schools were closed ?
How stores and restaurants were closed ?
How we were all social distancing ?
How we all had to wear PPE ?
How the economy was closed, and unemployment was off the charts and how the stock market tanked, and millions of Americans lost everything they had worked for because Dimocrats demanded we all stayed home, so Nixon wouldn't be elected ?

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide.[11]

United States[edit]

The CDC estimated 100,000 people died in the U.S.[12] However, fewer people died during this pandemic than in previous pandemics for various reasons:[13]

1. some immunity against the N2 flu virus may have been retained in populations struck by the Asian Flu strains which had been circulating since 1957;
  2. the pandemic did not gain momentum until near the winter school holidays, thus limiting the infection spreading;
  3. improved medical care gave vital support to the very ill;
  4. the availability of antibiotics that were more effective against secondary bacterial infections.

I was 1 year old

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated
Nixon wins the...…………………………………………….WAIT ! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!!!! 100,000 Americans killed by a flu ? WTF ?

I'm sure those of you who were alive remember how all of the schools were closed ?
How the economy was closed, and unemployment was off the charts and how the stock market tanked, and millions of Americans lost everything they had worked for because Dimocrats demanded we all stayed home, so Nixon wouldn't be elected ?

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide.[11]

United States[edit]

The CDC estimated 100,000 people died in the U.S.[12] However, fewer people died during this pandemic than in previous pandemics for various reasons:[13]

1. some immunity against the N2 flu virus may have been retained in populations struck by the Asian Flu strains which had been circulating since 1957;
  2. the pandemic did not gain momentum until near the winter school holidays, thus limiting the infection spreading;
  4. the availability of antibiotics that were more effective against secondary bacterial infections.

What this argument ignores is that the current Virus has killed 50,000 in two months WITH social distancing and WITH closing businesses and WITH closing schools. Just think for a minute how many it would have killed WITHOUT all that work to keep us from being close to each other. Imagine it.

You're assuming that these measures were somehow effective in reducing the death toll.

But I don't see that as a fact at all. I saw the graph on TV when social distancing/quarantine were proposed. The measures weren't designed to reduce the number of dead at all- merely spread them out a bit, "flatten the curve" was the term used, in order to prevent over stressing of the healthcare system.
You have a point; they did say that. If you're not out and about though, you can't catch it or spread it. So there's that.

Its a lot harder to contract if you stay locked up, sure. But unless you are willing to commit to an indefinite period of isolation several years in length, you won't avoid eventual contact with the virus. And then, there will be something else.

This is 1968.

Very important ...how can I say..... a milestone? 1968 a proper milestone... this song ... kind of explains the era.. politics yes, music yes ....all that, it encompass an era so to speak.

The Doors - Hello, I Love You (1968)

I was 3.
I was proud of myself.

I was up till 4AM watching, mesmerized.

I couldn't sleep at all.

You know, one of the most amazing things about that race to the moon, that still today makes me shake my head in amazement.

The speed at which we went from America's first manned mission (Shephard's Freedom 7 sub-orbital Redstone rocket flight) to making it to the moon 8 years later.
8 years !!!

Today, we can't drive a screw in 8 years !

Think about that for a minute !
In 8 years, we went from a little no frills Redstone rocket, that didn't have enough thrust to put a tiny one-man capsule into orbit, to the massive 365 ft tall Saturn 5 with 7.5 million pounds of thrust at launch !

8 years, and we figured out all of the thousands of systems, and hardware, and training, it would take to put men on the moon ! It's a fascinating story of determination.

This is 1968.

Very important ...how can I say..... a milestone? 1968 a proper milestone... this song ... kind of explains the era.. politics yes, music yes ....all that, it encompass an era so to speak.

Yep.
And on the god awful downside, in a two year span, the world would lose four huge rock stars, that to this day still hurts.
Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin. All heavyweights in the music world !

And they all, like Curt Cobain, were 27 years old when they died.

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

United States[edit]

What this argument ignores is that the current Virus has killed 50,000 in two months WITH social distancing and WITH closing businesses and WITH closing schools. Just think for a minute how many it would have killed WITHOUT all that work to keep us from being close to each other. Imagine it.
Parrot squawks.
1588047339453.png

This is 1968.

When Jim was "on", they were one of the best acts of the time. The band was always good.

This is 1968.

When Jim was "on", they were one of the best acts of the time. The band was always good.

Yessss...he really was one of the best acts of the time! :113:

Tet Offensive
MLK assassinated
RFK assassinated

RIGHT ?

Mortality[edit]

United States[edit]

Nope I was just a wittle new born

Forum List

Back