Renewing Driver's License

You can drive on US highways with a drivers license from Mexico or most other countries. What you can not do is buy auto insurance other than a short term policy. So by denying a US drivers licence to an undocumented immigrate, you're just keeping him from buying insurance, adding to the number of uninsured motorist on the highway.

So, the other day I went to renew my license. I had my birth certificate, my social security card and a current utility bill (all that is required to renew license).

Lines are always long and there is always "animated" folks that get frustrated. Well the man in front of me questioned the woman behind the counter about birth certificates and such. Then he asked her if he were someone who wasn't a legal citizen, how would he get a license or ID without having a birth certificate or ss# or even a work visa or green card. She answered by saying all he had to do was sign a document (that they provide) and take it to the testing locations if they are wanting a driver's license.

Then he responded by saying, I mean yelling, "WHAT THE F***? FOREIGNERS DON'T NEED PAPER WORK TO SHOW WHO THEY ARE?" Then she responded, "sir, I don't make the rules around here, I just follow them.

And here, I was giving my state too much credit for thinking that the birth certificate and legal documents were enforced with everyone. Silly me.

Why didn't you simply denounce your sitizenship.

So, the other day I went to renew my license. I had my birth certificate, my social security card and a current utility bill (all that is required to renew license).

Lines are always long and there is always "animated" folks that get frustrated. Well the man in front of me questioned the woman behind the counter about birth certificates and such. Then he asked her if he were someone who wasn't a legal citizen, how would he get a license or ID without having a birth certificate or ss# or even a work visa or green card. She answered by saying all he had to do was sign a document (that they provide) and take it to the testing locations if they are wanting a driver's license.

Then he responded by saying, I mean yelling, "WHAT THE F***? FOREIGNERS DON'T NEED PAPER WORK TO SHOW WHO THEY ARE?" Then she responded, "sir, I don't make the rules around here, I just follow them.

And here, I was giving my state too much credit for thinking that the birth certificate and legal documents were enforced with everyone. Silly me.

i went in for my very first license...and had all the documentation as you did.

the Indian behind the counter who i could barely understand said to me... "i need to see your green card."

excuse me? I have a birth certificate....

He said, "Yes, I see that. Everyone has a green card, I still need to your green card."

:eusa_hand:

I can beat that. Not my experience but a friend who moved from New Jersey to Louisiana (no wait, that's not the punch line)... she brought her birth certificate into the DL office, the clerk looked at the BC and sniffed,

"Dat ain't no good".

"Why not?" my friend asked.

"It's not from here!" came the reply. :banghead:

Only in Louisiana...

You can drive on US highways with a drivers license from Mexico or most other countries. What you can not do is buy auto insurance other than a short term policy. So by denying a US drivers licence to an undocumented immigrate, you're just keeping him from buying insurance, adding to the number of uninsured motorist on the highway.

Referring back to American Communist's link provided:

Until the state of Missouri changes this statute, then it should be followed.

Lines?

You guys need to update the way you operate your motor vehicle department. In other states. people have been taking numbers and sitting while they wait, for decades.

well then you are still behind.....in Cal you can make an Appointment and dont have to wait at all....

Lines?

You guys need to update the way you operate your motor vehicle department. In other states. people have been taking numbers and sitting while they wait, for decades.

well then you are still behind.....in Cal you can make an Appointment and dont have to wait at all....

Papadoo's in Louisiana, so when he says "for decades" he's referring to the amount of time you wait there, not how long the system has been that way.... :D

It's been a few years but when I moved to Sleaziana it took literally three months to get a driver's license. The first month was establishing residency (you had to live there 30 days) during which time my current license expired, so there was that bureaucracy-- writing back to the previous state for all kinds of documentation that wouldn't have been necessary had they simply processed my license before it expired.

Any calls to the DMV office at that time went unanswered, and when I went there in person I found out why, after wading thorugh a line that was literally out the door to the parking lot.... they had a wall phone that just kept ringing and ringing and eventually one of the clerks would just pick up the receiver and hang it up without answering it. Of course at the end of that line for whatever reason we still couldn't do the deed.

Then they sent me to another office. When I went to that address there was no such building. The postal service confirmed for me that the address they had given me does not exist.

Then I went again another week to another office, only to find that the office was closed for... are you sitting down? Good Friday. I swear, the DMV office was closed for a freaking Catholic holy day. :banghead:

Finally on the next visit, having jumped through all the paperwork hoops, I went to yet another office and took the number (44 out of 100). By the time I finally got served, they had worked their way through to number 100 and back to 44 again, it took that long. And to top it off, at that time the state printed your social security number on your license. I always whited mine out.

Three months. Such is life in Louisiana. The usual response to which is to shrug one's shoulders and quip "oh well. That's New Orleans".
Suicide.gif

Last edited:
Lines?

Papadoo's in Louisiana, so when he says "for decades" he's referring to the amount of time you wait there, not how long the system has been that way.... :D

It's been a few years but when I moved to Sleaziana it took literally three months to get a driver's license. The first month was establishing residency (you had to live there 30 days) during which time my current license expired, so there was that bureaucracy-- writing back to the previous state for all kinds of documentation that wouldn't have been necessary had they simply processed my license before it expired.

Any calls to the DMV office at that time went unanswered, and when I went there in person I found out why, after wading thorugh a line that was literally out the door to the parking lot.... they had a wall phone that just kept ringing and ringing and eventually one of the clerks would just pick up the receiver and hang it up without answering it. Of course at the end of that line for whatever reason we still couldn't do the deed.

Then they sent me to another office. When I went to that address there was no such building. The postal service confirmed for me that the address they had given me does not exist.

Then I went again another week to another office, only to find that the office was closed for... are you sitting down? Good Friday. I swear, the DMV office was closed for a freaking Catholic holy day. :banghead:

Finally on the next visit, having jumped through all the paperwork hoops, I went to yet another office and took the number (44 out of 100). By the time I finally got served, they had worked their way through to number 100 and back to 44 again, it took that long. And to top it off, at that time the state printed your social security number on your license. I always whited mine out.

Three months. Such is life in Louisiana. The usual response to which is to shrug one's shoulders and quip "oh well. That's New Orleans".
Suicide.gif

are you serious?.....it took me about 30 min to renew mine.....my sister moved to Nevada.....she got her new License and Plates for her Car right up at the Window day 1...

Suicide.gif

are you serious?.....it took me about 30 min to renew mine.....my sister moved to Nevada.....she got her new License and Plates for her Car right up at the Window day 1...

Yup, that's how it is in Carolina too. I think my last DL took maybe 15 minutes.

But Louisiana? Fuggetaboudit.

S
Then she responded, "sir, I don't make the rules around here, I just follow them.

Best response for this is to ask her how that "just following orders" excuse work for the Nazi guards!

Suicide.gif

Yup, that's how it is in Carolina too. I think my last DL took maybe 15 minutes.

geezus.....are they still a part of the Country?.....but just 3rd world?...:eusa_eh:

geezus.....are they still a part of the Country?.....but just 3rd world?...:eusa_eh:

I think the DL process has improved since then. But these stories (both of them) weren't that long ago -- mid 1990s.

Forum List

Back