Rep. Mia Love wants to limit congressional bills to one subject at a time

Alllll the time. And not just one, many times. The healthcare bill had beaucoups of them.
"Rep. Mia Love wants to limit congressional bills to one subject at a time"

How typical of the naive TPM right - a truly childish, ridiculous, and inane proposal.
..?
It's not a "ridiculous" proposal by any means.
Many state legislatures have single subject rules like this.

No in theory it's not ridiculous.
Of course it's ridiculous – in theory and in practice.

The 'proposal' is just more whining from the childish, sophomoric, reactionary right upset about omnibus legislation; it would be impossible, for example, to pass spending measures funding all the required departments and agencies 'one subject at at time.'

It's just another example of the ridiculous right's contempt for sound, responsible governance.

But if the subject is spending measures? I would hope the point of this legislation would be to prevent having a rider attached to a spending bill about same sex marriage, or curtailing abortion rights, or whatever unrelated thing some legislator wants to put on a bill that he/she is sure will pass.

I don't know just how often such unrelated items are attached to bills, but I absolutely understand the desire to curtail that kind of practice.

polls_endearmarks1_0847_78884_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Congress will instantly kill that bill, because it would reduce the power of Congress. Forcing an all-or-nothing bill on the President gives Congress more clout.

Thus, it's pointless grandstanding, so you can see why some conservatives are so attracted to it. They get to pretend to be moral while doing jack, which is the dream of every conservative.

The reason why they left the process of singular item bills is.......They wanted to be able to speed up the congressional process...
Let's face some well repeated facts..
America became a world power with it's republican form of govt..just like Rome..Once you become an imperial powerhouse and control much more territories and possessions the republican form of govt. has a hard time dealing with all the new problems created by a larger empire...The world load is too great....So other ways must become institutionalized to handle problems of a time/space distanciation that is created..

Congress will instantly kill that bill, because it would reduce the power of Congress. Forcing an all-or-nothing bill on the President gives Congress more clout.

Thus, it's pointless grandstanding, so you can see why some conservatives are so attracted to it. They get to pretend to be moral while doing jack, which is the dream of every conservative.
Trust a career politician?? No thanks

How typical of the naive TPM right - a truly childish, ridiculous, and inane proposal.
..?
It's not a "ridiculous" proposal by any means.
Many state legislatures have single subject rules like this.

No in theory it's not ridiculous.
Of course it's ridiculous – in theory and in practice.

The 'proposal' is just more whining from the childish, sophomoric, reactionary right upset about omnibus legislation; it would be impossible, for example, to pass spending measures funding all the required departments and agencies 'one subject at at time.'

It's just another example of the ridiculous right's contempt for sound, responsible governance.

Would not "Funding for Umptyfratz Department be a single subject? Looks good to me! You just don't like it because it restricts liberals from adding pork.

We note how deftly you explained why it was such a bad idea. Wait! Oh. never mind! You didn't!

I'm with you on this: What is the downside to having such a law as to where "one subject" is the limit for bills?

I think maybe the only downside would be if you get into micromanagement such as Congressional approval for every expenditure but I would think she means each department; not each box of paper clips or new office copier the DVA wants to purchase....

Outside of scale, I'd be interested to hear reasoned opposition to Ms. Love's idea.

Forum List

Back