Repeal The Second Amendment

Fucking bedwetters and your willingness to get rid of rights
Makes me sick how weak you guys are

Written by uber-conservative Bret Stephens.

Opinion | Repeal the Second Amendment

I have never understood the conservative fetish for the Second Amendment.

From a law-and-order standpoint, more guns means more murder. “States with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides,” noted one exhaustive 2013 study in the American Journal of Public Health.

From a personal-safety standpoint, more guns means less safety. The F.B.I. counted a total of 268 “justifiable homicides” by private citizens involving firearms in 2015; that is, felons killed in the course of committing a felony. Yet that same year, there were 489 “unintentional firearms deaths” in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Between 77 and 141 of those killed were children.

From a national-security standpoint, the Amendment’s suggestion that a “well-regulated militia” is “necessary to the security of a free State,” is quaint. The Minutemen that will deter Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong-un are based in missile silos in Minot, N.D., not farmhouses in Lexington, Mass.

From a personal liberty standpoint, the idea that an armed citizenry is the ultimate check on the ambitions and encroachments of government power is curious. The Whiskey Rebellion of the 1790s, the New York draft riots of 1863, the coal miners’ rebellion of 1921, the Brink’s robbery of 1981 — does any serious conservative think of these as great moments in Second Amendment activism?

And now we have the relatively new and now ubiquitous “active shooter” phenomenon, something that remains extremely rare in the rest of the world. Conservatives often say that the right response to these horrors is to do more on the mental-health front. Yet by all accounts Stephen Paddock would not have raised an eyebrow with a mental-health professional before he murdered 58 people in Las Vegas last week.

What might have raised a red flag? I’m not the first pundit to point out that if a “Mohammad Paddock” had purchased dozens of firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition and then checked himself into a suite at the Mandalay Bay with direct views to a nearby music festival, somebody at the local F.B.I. field office would have noticed.

Given all of this, why do liberals keep losing the gun control debate?

Maybe it’s because they argue their case badly and — let’s face it — in bad faith. Democratic politicians routinely profess their fidelity to the Second Amendment — or rather, “a nuanced reading” of it — with all the conviction of Barack Obama’s support for traditional marriage, circa 2008. People recognize lip service for what it is.

*SNIP*

Repealing the Amendment may seem like political Mission Impossible today, but in the era of same-sex marriage it’s worth recalling that most great causes begin as improbable ones. Gun ownership should never be outlawed, just as it isn’t outlawed in Britain or Australia. But it doesn’t need a blanket Constitutional protection, either. The 46,445 murder victims killed by gunfire in the United States between 2012 and 2016 didn’t need to perish so that gun enthusiasts can go on fantasizing that “Red Dawn” is the fate that soon awaits us.

*SNIP*

Some conservatives will insist that the Second Amendment is fundamental to the structure of American liberty. They will cite James Madison, who noted in the Federalist Papers that in Europe “the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” America was supposed to be different, and better.

I wonder what Madison would have to say about that today, when more than twice as many Americans perished last year at the hands of their fellows as died in battle during the entire Revolutionary War. My guess: Take the guns—or at least the presumptive right to them—away. The true foundation of American exceptionalism should be our capacity for moral and constitutional renewal, not our instinct for self-destruction.

You should go read the parts I snipped out.

Keep the 2d Amendment, repeal the 2d Amendment, it really doesn't matter to conservative gun owners. We're gonna keep our guns either way.
If the government decides that you will turn in your guns, you will turn in your guns.

In a pig's eye. Heard the term about "cold dead hands?"
I doubt if we get to cold dead hands because there wouldn't be a government.

From a law-and-order standpoint, more guns means more murder. “States with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides,” noted one exhaustive 2013 study in the American Journal of Public Health.

From a personal-safety standpoint, more guns means less safety. The F.B.I. counted a total of 268 “justifiable homicides” by private citizens involving firearms in 2015; that is, felons killed in the course of committing a felony. Yet that same year, there were 489 “unintentional firearms deaths” in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Between 77 and 141 of those killed were children.

From a national-security standpoint, the Amendment’s suggestion that a “well-regulated militia” is “necessary to the security of a free State,” is quaint. The Minutemen that will deter Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong-un are based in missile silos in Minot, N.D., not farmhouses in Lexington, Mass.

From a personal liberty standpoint, the idea that an armed citizenry is the ultimate check on the ambitions and encroachments of government power is curious. The Whiskey Rebellion of the 1790s, the New York draft riots of 1863, the coal miners’ rebellion of 1921, the Brink’s robbery of 1981 — does any serious conservative think of these as great moments in Second Amendment activism?

And now we have the relatively new and now ubiquitous “active shooter” phenomenon, something that remains extremely rare in the rest of the world. Conservatives often say that the right response to these horrors is to do more on the mental-health front. Yet by all accounts Stephen Paddock would not have raised an eyebrow with a mental-health professional before he murdered 58 people in Las Vegas last week.

What might have raised a red flag? I’m not the first pundit to point out that if a “Mohammad Paddock” had purchased dozens of firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition and then checked himself into a suite at the Mandalay Bay with direct views to a nearby music festival, somebody at the local F.B.I. field office would have noticed.

Maybe it’s because they argue their case badly and — let’s face it — in bad faith. Democratic politicians routinely profess their fidelity to the Second Amendment — or rather, “a nuanced reading” of it — with all the conviction of Barack Obama’s support for traditional marriage, circa 2008. People recognize lip service for what it is.

*SNIP*

Repealing the Amendment may seem like political Mission Impossible today, but in the era of same-sex marriage it’s worth recalling that most great causes begin as improbable ones. Gun ownership should never be outlawed, just as it isn’t outlawed in Britain or Australia. But it doesn’t need a blanket Constitutional protection, either. The 46,445 murder victims killed by gunfire in the United States between 2012 and 2016 didn’t need to perish so that gun enthusiasts can go on fantasizing that “Red Dawn” is the fate that soon awaits us.

*SNIP*

Some conservatives will insist that the Second Amendment is fundamental to the structure of American liberty. They will cite James Madison, who noted in the Federalist Papers that in Europe “the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” America was supposed to be different, and better.

I wonder what Madison would have to say about that today, when more than twice as many Americans perished last year at the hands of their fellows as died in battle during the entire Revolutionary War. My guess: Take the guns—or at least the presumptive right to them—away. The true foundation of American exceptionalism should be our capacity for moral and constitutional renewal, not our instinct for self-destruction.

Keep the 2d Amendment, repeal the 2d Amendment, it really doesn't matter to conservative gun owners. We're gonna keep our guns either way.
If the government decides that you will turn in your guns, you will turn in your guns.

You're seriously delusional, you backwoods old fuck. You're not going to do jack shit to shoot it out with the Feds except die. Which would be no great loss, believe me.

They start cutting off your gummint welfare and you'll be handing those guns over pronto.

define arms - bolt or leaver action, 6 round capacity, non detachable magazine. same for public and lawenforcement alike.
Leftard wet dream. Get of the country fascist.

republicans are cowards ...
Buy more guns and ammo..
Buy more guns and ammo..

no problem, as many as you like. after 10 wear the new custom ankle bracelet.
firearm ownership is none of the federal government’s business

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

You're seriously delusional, you backwoods old fuck. You're not going to do jack shit to shoot it out with the Feds except die. Which would be no great loss, believe me.

They start cutting off your gummint welfare and you'll be handing those guns over pronto.

Son, I along with every other gun owner will observe the constitution and put those domestic enemies out of their misery. There are tens of millions just like me. Pay attention.

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

Saw on TV today, Japan had one killing by a gun compared to 4,000 in the US.

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

:boohoo:

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

Yeah................right.

All these mass shootings were ended by someone shooting them. It's that vicious cycle argument, we NEED guns to STOP guns. Think about that. We don't NEED guns. If we took the most obvious and logical step, taking guns out of that equation, then there wouldn't be an equation to be balanced out. That is the end run here and it's pretty obvious. Repeal the 2nd amendment.

All these mass shootings were ended by someone shooting them. It's that vicious cycle argument, we NEED guns to STOP guns. Think about that. We don't NEED guns. If we took the most obvious and logical step, taking guns out of that equation, then there wouldn't be an equation to be balanced out. That is the end run here and it's pretty obvious. Repeal the 2nd amendment.
Repeal the second amendment and we'll all be slaves and praying toward Mecca.

Repeal the second amendment and we'll all be slaves and praying toward Mecca.

and carrying a little red book under our arms.

in other words totalitarians to the max.

Little red books, then there's little read books, Science, mathematics, history or Sci-Fi books. now, I get it. (I welcome the arrival of self driving cars) A.E. Voght had a story about self aware Guns called "The weapons shop", when we get to that point I won't have an issue with guns because there won't be any dumb blind stupid guns used to hurt defenseless people. His motto in the story was; "The right to own weapons is the right to be free" It made me shed a tear or two. But in his universe , guns had a magical sense of self awareness and right and wrong. That was the caveat . When guns gain that attribute, I will be all for them.

Last edited:
holic, Which of our rights would you target next? Privacy? Speech? All of them?
Get your hands off of my Rights. The fact that you want to remove freedoms instead of adding to them, means you are to stupid to be making decisions that effect me..
Didn't read the article, eh?

Bret Stephens is a conservative.

I didn't write the article.

A repeal of the 2nd doesn't mean you can't have guns.
It would be a giant step to "you can't have guns"!

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

That's because the villainous scum who murdered over 350,000 Chinese civilians in a week were all blown to hell in WWII. The peaceful ones were all that were left. Give them a few more generations and they will be back to being belligerent like everyone else.

Forum List

Back