Republican Elder Statesman Calls for Carbon Tax

Ah yes. But with all those credentials, he just has to be one of those pointy headed liberal elites. I mean, the damned old fool actually has enough education and experiance to really understand what he is talking about. That automatically makes him a RINO.

The differance between you and Trakar is that he is a conservative, and you are a 'Conservative'. The former gave us an Interstate Highway System, cleaner air, and our most of our National Parks. The latter has given us 'birther' conspiracies, and economic theories that do more than just border on lunacy.

I'm sure you intended that as a compliment, but I have never, claimed to be conservative. I trace my Republicanism to the nationally recognized great Republicans of our nation's history. Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, and Eisenhower, these leaders were not conservatives, and neither am I. I am Republican but I am not politically conservative.

Well, I have many in my family who consider themselves conservatives, and admire exactly those people and claim their conservatism on the basis of the works of those men. The conservative ideology they claim is that of conserving the best of this nation for all the citizens of this nation.

When is the last time Stanford ever quoted a republican in a positive way? Stanford is no friend of republicans and I'd bet the two Marks who wrote the article are not conservatives. The first word in the post title tells you everything about the direction of the post. It doesn't say "noted economist" or "former Reagan appointee. It says ....REPUBLICAN... The grain of truth that the two Marks were forced to admit in the 2nd or 3rd paragraph is that republican party doesn't support or condone Schultz's long standing crazy opinions about global warming but that doesn't stop the two Marks from trying to make the point that Schultz used to work for Republican presidents.

Stanford hosts and sponsors the Hoover Institute (which Shultz is a leading fellow member of) which is the preeminent conservative think-tank in the our nation.

Hoover Institution

Mission Statement | Hoover Institution

You have a very strange concept of "liberal."

George P. Shultz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoover Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're understandings are that fringe, I daresay your considerations of such things are largely irrelevent.

Difference between you and me, I don't need wiki to tell me what a liberal is.

True, you don't seem to rely upon facts or reality when deciding what you choose to believe.

You wouldn't know a fact if alex trebek spelled it out for you. If you support obama you most diffidently don't know what facts are.

Well, I have many in my family who consider themselves conservatives, and admire exactly those people and claim their conservatism on the basis of the works of those men. The conservative ideology they claim is that of conserving the best of this nation for all the citizens of this nation.

That's a bit different than my understandings of conservative ideology which focusses on the basic kernel idea that they do not believe that human beings can create a new political society.

Conservatism argues that:

Political society develops gradually over time out of custom and human experience. There is no social contract.

People’s ability to reason is severely limited, nor is the world understandable and malleable. Therefore, efforts to improve a society will likely have terrible unanticipated consequences.

Members of political society need to accept their roles in order for the whole society to be healthy and strong. Challenging authority is destabilizing.

Inequality is the natural order of things. Human beings are naturally unequal.
politically, people should defer to their betters to govern. Socially, people need to accept problems like poverty, which society cannot solve.

Government’s goal is to provide for human needs, especially the needs for order, stability and control. Government is not formed to protect rights. In fact, the lack of order destroys people more than tyranny.

Coservative Values:

Tradition - including religious values. Tradition is grounded in generations of reflection on ethical questions.

Authority hierarchical. Government should be strong in law & order, to control the unruly elements in society

Not opposed to all change, but it is should be gradual, a slow evolution.

Conservatives are not fascists, people on the extreme right of the political spectrum. Fascists believe human will can remake society. Fascists are radical reactionaries.

Opposed to free market capitalism because it broke down old social roles.

Acceptance of social welfare for the poor.

No fear of an active large government becoming tyrannous because the elite would be the governors.

But modern US conservatism is much different than traditional and true Conservatism as espoused by Burke, primarily because it is derived from Liberalism not true conservatism.
US Conservatism:

Support for capitalism

Suspicious of government power

Advocate market incentives to achieve socially desirable goals, rather than the government;

Prefer state and local government action over federal, which is potentially tyrannous.

See justice as equal opportunity, not equal outcome;

Less concerned with individual rights than moral values

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Difference between you and me, I don't need wiki to tell me what a liberal is.

True, you don't seem to rely upon facts or reality when deciding what you choose to believe.

You wouldn't know a fact if alex trebek spelled it out for you. If you support obama you most diffidently don't know what facts are.

You are, again mistaken, ...at the least.

My decisions are only fact based and always supported by facts. I do not and have never supported Barry or his intellectually corrupt policies. IMO, the only thing worse than a liberal conservative (which typifies most modern American conservatives) is a conservative liberal (which typifies Barry and most of his supporters).

Clinton pushed it and it went nowhere.

Clinton's 1993 btu tax wasn't properly designed nor would it have been effective at achieving it's purpose. The largest flaw was that it not even partially revenue neutral. Shultz's concept of a carbon tax includes the understanding that you have to combine such taxes with refunds and benefits that remove most if not all of the impact from such taxes upon the individuals who would be most impacted by them.

Yes that was the BTU tax. Thanks for clarifying.

From your description, it sounds like utilities and other carbon emitters would not be allowed to pass the tax on to consumers. Bad idea.

I'm not sure how you get that from my statement, please explain.

Clinton's 1993 btu tax wasn't properly designed nor would it have been effective at achieving it's purpose. The largest flaw was that it not even partially revenue neutral. Shultz's concept of a carbon tax includes the understanding that you have to combine such taxes with refunds and benefits that remove most if not all of the impact from such taxes upon the individuals who would be most impacted by them.

From your description, it sounds like utilities and other carbon emitters would not be allowed to pass the tax on to consumers. Bad idea.

Who are the individuals that would be most impacted by the carbon tax?

Simple the people paying the bill would be paying for the tax. As with all tax they are passed on to the consumer

For the most part, this is the lowest income section of our society, where any increases in costs of living can be issues of survival. When we step up above this there should be some offset but I don't think I'd go so far as to say that everyone would require compensatory cash offsets. I would think that funding contributions to social programs, might well be included as substantive net revenue neutral aspects of such system. I'm sure that we can find some complimentary offsets for small businesses, as well as carbon tax credits and breaks for major corporations who are willing to invest in carbon bonds or energy efficiency and alternative energy improvements, technologies and R&D.

Ergo my comment. Unless a tax of any kind is allowed to be considered a cost of doing business and subsequently passed on to the consumer, it will only penalize business and will lead to the demise of many of them. And where's the benefit of exempting or crediting these business if it would only counter the intended effects of such a tax?

Stanford's George Shultz on energy: It's personal

-George Shultz leads a group preparing to propose a federal tax on carbon to slash U.S. greenhouse gas emissions and oil consumption, a seemingly unlikely policy from a Republican Party statesman.

George Shultz was an economist in the Eisenhower administration, as well as secretary of the Treasury and Labor, and director of the Office of Management and Budget in the Nixon administration. Under President Ronald Reagan, he was secretary of state for almost seven years. Despite the reluctance of his fellow Republicans to embrace action on global warming, Shultz is confident that when the time is right conservatives will support a carbon tax, for a number of reasons...

...I've been worried about our energy problem for a long time. President Eisenhower said that if we imported more than 20 percent of the oil we use, we were asking for trouble with national security. By 1973, I'm secretary of the Treasury and we have the Arab oil embargo. They seek to deny us oil in order to change our policies. I thought then, you know, President Eisenhower knew something.

...If you speak out about something, you've got to walk the talk, you've got to do it yourself. The biggest consumer of oil is the automobile, so I've been interested in driving a car that is more efficient. My solar panels have long since paid for themselves by the savings in electricity costs. I have my electric car running on electricity from the sun, which costs me nothing and there is plenty of it here. So, I'm driving on sunshine. Take that, Ahmadinejad!

...We have to have a system where all forms of energy bear their full costs. For some, their costs are the costs of producing the energy, but many other forms of energy produce side effects, like pollution, that are a cost of society. The producers don't bear that cost, society does. There has to be a way to level the playing field and cause those forms of energy to bear their true costs. That means putting a price on carbon.

...Historically, Republicans have often protected the environment. President Nixon created the Environmental Protection Agency. We dealt with the ozone layer under President Reagan and with acid rain under the first President Bush, both with bipartisan support. People making careers out of disagreeing with each other is a very recent phenomenon.

There are three major issues raised in the energy area. One is national security. We know that we don't want to be vulnerable to sources of supply that are uncertain or to send billions of dollars to regimes that are not our friends. Then there's the economy. Every spike in the price of oil has put our economy in a recession. We want to have more diverse energy resources so our economy won't be so vulnerable to the oil market.

Then there's the environment, which has many aspects. One of these is the air you breath, which Tom Steyer and I emphasized in the "No on 23" campaign. Another is that the globe is warming, which is not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact. The arctic is melting. If you could bring together the constituencies concerned with national security, the economy and the environment – both local and global – that would be a potent coalition...

Much more at the Stanford News site, I encourage everyone, regardless of your political persuasions or ideological preferences to read this man's considerations and opinions: Stanford's George Shultz on energy: It's personal

Maybe he's invested with Al Gore...

Al Gore could become world's first carbon billionaire

Al Gore, the former US vice president, could become the world's first carbon billionaire after investing heavily in green energy companies.

alGore_1515233c.jpg

Last year Mr Gore's venture capital firm loaned a small California firm $75m to develop energy-saving technology.

The company, Silver Spring Networks, produces hardware and software to make the electricity grid more efficient.

The deal appeared to pay off in a big way last week, when the Energy Department announced $3.4 billion in smart grid grants, the New York Times reports. Of the total, more than $560 million went to utilities with which Silver Spring has contracts

Al Gore could become world's first carbon billionaire - Telegraph

Ergo my comment. Unless a tax of any kind is allowed to be considered a cost of doing business and subsequently passed on to the consumer, it will only penalize business and will lead to the demise of many of them. And where's the benefit of exempting or crediting these business if it would only counter the intended effects of such a tax?

Of course, the transition away from previously sequestered carbon emitting resources and technologies, as well as compensating for the public social costs of not applying true cost accounting to the subsidized profits earned by the exploitation of these resources and technologies over the last century and a half of market distortion, are the primary goals of the carbon tax in the first place. Following the course I'm talking about would allow a market system to accomplish these goals while minimizing the damage to individuals and the economy in general and maximizing the opportunities for both businesses and individuals to grow into the future.

For the most part, this is the lowest income section of our society, where any increases in costs of living can be issues of survival. When we step up above this there should be some offset but I don't think I'd go so far as to say that everyone would require compensatory cash offsets. I would think that funding contributions to social programs, might well be included as substantive net revenue neutral aspects of such system. I'm sure that we can find some complimentary offsets for small businesses, as well as carbon tax credits and breaks for major corporations who are willing to invest in carbon bonds or energy efficiency and alternative energy improvements, technologies and R&D.

Oh, so the warmist wants to use the revenues from a carbon tax to increase the size of government social programs?

Now why would anyone suspect the motives of these big government left-wingers?

Of course, the transition away from previously sequestered carbon emitting resources and technologies, as well as compensating for the public social costs of not applying true cost accounting to the subsidized profits earned by the exploitation of these resources and technologies over the last century and a half of market distortion, are the primary goals of the carbon tax in the first place.

The primary goal of carbon taxes is to provide more revenue to the government to grow social programs and dispense more swag to parasites.

You have already admitted that.

Forum List

Back