Republicans Plan to Form Counter-Delegation at Climate Conference

According to what the right was arguing a few years ago, this is a violation of the Logan Act.

Is it?

I'd say no they weren't.

§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments. Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both. This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

SOURCE:

So you would have voted "Not Guilty" or "please stop being ridiculous" in the Pelosi Mock Trial?

Right here.
capt.ac02c113b43c469d9946a874c849e015.winter_storm_nenh205.jpg

Oh...I get it now

Because it snowed on Zanders house, Republicans are going to make the case that global warming doesn't exist

That should impress the rest of the world

Take a deep breath leftwinger. The Earth is COOLING. That's right! Since 1998 the planet has been cooling. You can look it up too!! It's not even a teensy beensy wittle bit hard!!!

Oh look!! Here is a link!! NASA admits that they have no idea why the earth is cooling! Now if NASA is ready to admit that they don't have any fucking idea what is happening with the earth's climate, why won't you?

PS - I live in LA it is cold, but no snow! :)

North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say - CNN.com

"If you talked to me or other scientists just a few years ago, we were saying that we might lose all or most of the summer sea ice cover by anywhere from 2050 to 2100," Serreze said. "Then, recently, we kind of revised those estimates, maybe as early as 2030. Now, there's people out there saying it might be even before that. So, things are happening pretty quick up there."

"It's not cyclical at this point. I think we understand the physics behind this pretty well," he said. "We've known for at least 30 years, from our earliest climate models, that it's the Arctic where we'd see the first signs of global warming.

"It's a situation where we hate to say we told you so, but we told you so," he said.

New Data Show Rapid Arctic Ice Decline - washingtonpost.com

The satellite data released by NASA and the National Snow and Ice Data Center show that the maximum extent of the 2008-2009 winter sea ice cover was the fifth-lowest since researchers began collecting such information 30 years ago. The past six years have produced the six lowest maximums in that record, and the new data show that the percentage of older, thicker and more persistent ice shrank to its lowest level ever, at just 9.8 percent of the winter ice cover.

"We're seeing an ice cover that's younger and that's thinner as we head into summer," Walt Meier, a scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center, said in a telephone news conference. "It's been a pretty sharp decline."

The new evidence -- including satellite data showing that the average multiyear wintertime sea ice cover in the Arctic in 2005 and 2006 was nine feet thick, a significant decline from the 1980s -- contradicts data cited in widely circulated reports by Washington Post columnist George F. Will that sea ice in the Arctic has not significantly declined since 1979.

--------------------------

Republicans don't understand that you can just go look.

--------------------------

What Republicans fail to understand, once again, is that even if global warming isn't man made, this gives us the opportunity to develope new energy technology that will finally get us off the addiction of Middle Eastern oil.

Republicans are like a pair of children's scissors. Cute, colorful, not too sharp.

santa-copenhagen.JPG

Where does Santa live now that
the North Pole has turned to ocean? ...and does Jim Inhofe love his grandchildren?

I'd say no they weren't.

§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments. Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both. This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

SOURCE:

So you would have voted "Not Guilty" or "please stop being ridiculous" in the Pelosi Mock Trial?

But these are not 'any citizens' they are elected representives and as such are not referred to by the above statute.

Is this treason or somesuch?

Yes, it is. And if the Dims had done it to Bush, those clapping now would have rioted in the streets urging Bush to lock them up. So much for consistency.

Treason? hardly.....

Results

1. the betrayal of a trust : treachery

2. the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign's family

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary copyright © 2009 by Merriam-Webster

Neither, fits on what the politicians want to do in Copenhagen

That's what you guys have claimed before when Democrats did something like this.

You guys? Who's that?

Republicans. There was a movement to try and get Pelosi brought up on criminal charges for a similar action.

Why don't you answer the question? In your opinion, is this a violation of the Logan act? I am interested in your opinion.

No, it's not. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.

That's what you guys have claimed before when Democrats did something like this.

You guys? Who's that?

Republicans. There was a movement to try and get Pelosi brought up on criminal charges for a similar action.

Why don't you answer the question? In your opinion, is this a violation of the Logan act? I am interested in your opinion.

No, it's not. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.
Thanks. That's what I thought and I agree that it isn't a violation of the Logan Act. I never agreed with those Republicans calling for Pelosi's head - they are hypocritical if they support this and were opposed to Pelosi's misadventures.....:)

Sounds like we have found out why George Soros has been basically a lobbist to the Democrats. I think it's time that the democrats pay back "the heart and soul" of their party.
Not a billion....but 100 billion dollar infusion? :eek:

same reason that oral roberts is basically a lobbyist to the republicans.

don't know why you'd call him the "heart and soul" of anything... i know it's a nice little right wing fallacy. but that doesn't mean you have to buy into it. :)

Sounds like we have found out why George Soros has been basically a lobbist to the Democrats. I think it's time that the democrats pay back "the heart and soul" of their party.
Not a billion....but 100 billion dollar infusion? :eek:

same reason that oral roberts is basically a lobbyist to the republicans.

don't know why you'd call him the "heart and soul" of anything... i know it's a nice little right wing fallacy. but that doesn't mean you have to buy into it. :)

Didn't want to step on toes, but with the money that he's donated to the campaigns, Media Matters, and MoveOn. org. he's expecting a return, and I do believe he's one of the main reasons that the democrats have moved further left in the last 15 years. Just an opinion, Jillian.

Didn't want to step on toes, but with the money that he's donated to the campaigns, Media Matters, and MoveOn. org. he's expecting a return, and I do believe he's one of the main reasons that the democrats have moved further left in the last 15 years. Just an opinion, Jillian.

And the repubs have their big donors... corporations... religious right organizations... and those people donate to things like the heritage foundation... and then, of course, there's rupert murdoch who's made his entire media empire the propaganda arm of the GOP.

So... it's not that you're stepping on toes. And I'm always happy to hear your opinion and discuss things with you, but I just wanted to point out that the whole Soros mythology, like so much of what the far right pretends to be outraged about, is grossly over-exaggerated and ignores the flipside of the argument. That's just my opinion, but I figured, I'd give you my thoughts on the matter.

And the repubs have their big donors... corporations... religious right organizations... and those people donate to things like the heritage foundation... and then, of course, there's rupert murdoch who's made his entire media empire the propaganda arm of the GOP.

So... it's not that you're stepping on toes. And I'm always happy to hear your opinion and discuss things with you, but I just wanted to point out that the whole Soros mythology, like so much of what the far right pretends to be outraged about, is grossly over-exaggerated and ignores the flipside of the argument. That's just my opinion, but I figured, I'd give you my thoughts on the matter.

You know I do like to hear both sides, and I do agree with you fully. This is the part of politics, politicians, and government that I despise, Jillian. Unfortunately, (like I've always said) government is a necessary evil. Just need to follow the money.
But, on the good side of this...it gives me something to bitch about.

Funny, you put up links to two skeptics who rely on interpreting data that comes from, you guessed it "NASA". I just go to NASA:

NASA - Satellites See a Double-Texas Sized Loss In Arctic Sea Ice

New NASA Satellite Survey Reveals Dramatic Arctic Sea Ice Thinning - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

It's easier that way.

Then, you put up a link that talks about "sensor drift" in one satellite. As if that is the only one they have. I love it.

One of the problems with the Republicans is they look at a picture and say, "See, there's ice". They don't bother that there may be visible ice but until you go there and measure it, you don't know the thickness. That's what scientist do. Skeptics just put links to other skeptics as "proof".

You know I do like to hear both sides, and I do agree with you fully. This is the part of politics, politicians, and government that I despise, Jillian. Unfortunately, (like I've always said) government is a necessary evil. Just need to follow the money.
But, on the good side of this...it gives me something to bitch about.

well, if they'd reform the election finance laws and stop donors altogether... by funding candidates ourselves, that would obviate a lot of problems. And we might find some interesting people running for office who wouldn't otherwise have the funding to run.

lol re having something to bitch about. It's good for the soul. ;)

Forum List

Back