Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God

His logic was sound. :)

No, his logic was invalid.

He starts with "God = nature". Then he does a "nature exists proves that nature (which I call God) exists" tautology.

Then, unannounced, he switches his definition of "God" from "nature" to "the Christian God", which are two entirely different things, and uses that hidden switcharoo to declare he's proven the Christian God exists.

Switching definitions midstream, very stupid. If it was deliberate, very dishonest.

Being bigoted against gays is disruptive...

[The Reader should know that the best sign of Bigotry, is someone calling someone else, a bigot.

To wit; Bigotry: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. [/quote]

See how that works?

Well, there is an advantage to being "obedient" to an imaginary pixie in your head.

So ... looks like we have another 'nature doesn't exist' clown, on record. LOL! (It's sort of embarrassing to watch, isn't it?)

Well, there is an advantage to being "obedient" to an imaginary pixie in your head.

So ... looks like we have another 'nature doesn't exist' clown, on record. LOL! (It's sort of embarrassing to watch, isn't it?)

You haven't offered any evidence that the existence of nature is dependent on their being a supernatural creature who created it.

That's an invalid syllogism because it begins with an unprovable assumption.

Claims of supernatural beings that have no basis in fact and are wholly unprovable and are totally devoid of supporting evidence,

those claims are of no value in a fact based argument.

No it doesn't.

God is nature, nature is God. That you nee God to be something else, is irrelevant.

Belief in God is based on faith; Keys can no more prove that God concretely exists than he can fly.

I believe in God, washed in spirit of the Blood of the Lamb at the age of nine, and have never doubted since. I pray and study scripture daily and have done so for more than fifty years: as a youth, a soldier, a businessman, a father, husband, grandfather.

I have learned that God is Love.

Keys and JoeB are both bigots. I am no more concerned about Keys' nonsense any more than I am about the nonsense of militant atheists. Neither group will be allowed to steal the rights of the other, and neither group will be allowed to persecute the other.

Keys' God is not Love; is certainly not Jesus Christ.

If you aren't bound by God's law, you'll FLYyyyy like a bird.

Every so often, you see a post so stupid that it actually takes your breath away.
His logic was sound. :)

How is it sound? He claims that an invisible supernatural being that has never revealed itself and in fact is wholly without evidence to support his existence controls Gravity.

If that's a valid, logically sound argument,

then every possible imaginary baseless reason to explain anything becomes logically sound.

Is that your position?

From your link;

Why did we inherit this tendency? Long, long ago, in a Paleolithic environment far, far away from the modern world, humans evolved to find meaningful causal patterns in nature to make sense of the world, and infuse many of those patterns with intentional agency, some of which became animistic spirits and powerful gods. I call these two processes patternicity (the tendency to find meaningful patterns in both meaningful and meaningless data) and agenticity (the tendency to infuse patterns with meaning, intention and agency).

Imagine that you are a hominid on the planes of Africa and you hear a rustle in the grass. Is it a dangerous predator or just the wind? If you assume the rustle in the grass is a dangerous predator and it is just the wind, you have made a Type I error (a false positive), but to no harm. But if you believe the rustle is just the wind when it is a dangerous predator, you have made a Type II error (a false negative) and there's a good chance you'll be lunch and thereby removed from your species' gene pool. Because we are poor at discriminating between false positives and false negatives, and because the cost of making a Type I error is much lower than making a Type II error, there was a natural selection for those hominids who tended to believe that all patterns are real and potentially dangerous. This is the basis for the belief not only in God, but in souls, spirits, ghosts, demons, angels, intelligent designers and all manner of invisible agents intending to harm us or help us.​

There was an evolutionary benefit to believing in religion when we were in danger of being eaten by wild animals.

Some of us have evolved beyond that point.

From your link;

Why did we inherit this tendency? Long, long ago, in a Paleolithic environment far, far away from the modern world, humans evolved to find meaningful causal patterns in nature to make sense of the world, and infuse many of those patterns with intentional agency, some of which became animistic spirits and powerful gods. I call these two processes patternicity (the tendency to find meaningful patterns in both meaningful and meaningless data) and agenticity (the tendency to infuse patterns with meaning, intention and agency).

Imagine that you are a hominid on the planes of Africa and you hear a rustle in the grass. Is it a dangerous predator or just the wind? If you assume the rustle in the grass is a dangerous predator and it is just the wind, you have made a Type I error (a false positive), but to no harm. But if you believe the rustle is just the wind when it is a dangerous predator, you have made a Type II error (a false negative) and there's a good chance you'll be lunch and thereby removed from your species' gene pool. Because we are poor at discriminating between false positives and false negatives, and because the cost of making a Type I error is much lower than making a Type II error, there was a natural selection for those hominids who tended to believe that all patterns are real and potentially dangerous. This is the basis for the belief not only in God, but in souls, spirits, ghosts, demons, angels, intelligent designers and all manner of invisible agents intending to harm us or help us.​

There was an evolutionary benefit to believing in religion when we were in danger of being eaten by wild animals.

That's the scientific explanation. The Bible told us, over two thousand years ago, that everyone is born with a innate knowledge of God. It's too bad that you reject this knowledge. Your fate is worse than death. Death is not the end. It is merely a transition form one life to another. One is a life in the presence of our Creator. The other is a life of eternal torment. The choice is yours. You've been warned.

From your link;

That's the scientific explanation. The Bible told us, over two thousand years ago, that everyone is born with a innate knowledge of God. It's too bad that you reject this knowledge. Your fate is worse than death. Death is not the end. It is merely a transition form one life to another. One is a life in the presence of our Creator. The other is a life of eternal torment. The choice is yours. You've been warned.

Everyone is born an atheist.

You have to be taught about religion and God.

From your link;

You did read the study they did with twins, didn't you? Even when raised separately, both tended to have the same belief in God. That is not learned behavior. What one believes about God is learned. Not the belief itself. And even many atheists and agnostics believe in some kind of supernatural force. True atheists are so rare as to be almost non existent.

From your link;

You did read the study they did with twins, didn't you? Even when raised separately, both tended to have the same belief in God. That is not learned behavior. What one believes about God is learned. Not the belief itself. And even many atheists and agnostics believe in some kind of supernatural force. True atheists are so rare as to be almost non existent.

Did you read the part I quoted from the link?

Did you understand the part I quoted from the link?

Evolution favored those who were fearful of false positives. That doesn't mean that your God exists. Instead it is just that evolution worked for those who were scared of the dark and the unknown.

Some of us have evolved beyond that stage and have figured out that the fear of the unknown is not a reason to believe in magical sky fairies.

Instead we use reason, knowledge and logic to survive. The future of mankind will require those attributes because the fear based theists are killing each other if you bother to watch the news.

From your link;

Did you read the part I quoted from the link?

Did you understand the part I quoted from the link?

Evolution favored those who were fearful of false positives. That doesn't mean that your God exists. Instead it is just that evolution worked for those who were scared of the dark and the unknown.

Some of us have evolved beyond that stage and have figured out that the fear of the unknown is not a reason to believe in magical sky fairies.

Instead we use reason, knowledge and logic to survive. The future of mankind will require those attributes because the fear based theists are killing each other if you bother to watch the news.

You are, of course, free to believe what you want. So am I. Why do you care so much about what others believe? Why do you spend so much time and effort, trying to convince others that God does not exist, if you don't believe in Him? That doesn't make any sense.

Forum List

Back