Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

Some jobs are not worth paying someone $7.25 an hour, like stocking shelves and flipping burgers…
An employer makes a profit off of every worker
Even those stocking shelves
so?

If the employee doesn't like the price his employer pays for his labor he can find another employer who will pay him more or he can make his labor more valuable so as to be able to get a higher price for it

An employee leaves a minimum wage position...someone moves into it
That position is still underpaid
You say it is underpaid? What authority do you have to make that claim?

But for the sake of argument, let's say you are correct... It served its purpose. The person made an honest living and moved on to better himself. The person employing them had to fill the position and may have had to increase the wage to fill it. The person taking the job is making an honest living and is free to move on to something better and the cycle can repeat itself over and over.

I don't see the problem. What is the problem?
Both people performing that job are being exploited

Low wage employees have the least bargaining power. That is not a justification to take advantage of them. Sure, we can live in a dog eat dog society where the weakest are fair game for the strong. Other societies have done that with peasants providing low cost labor for the wealthy
So you are saying they have no other choice but to work there?

Exploit means make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource). Doesn't your employer exploit you too? Based on that definition mine does. Who knew I was being exploited?

so?

If the employee doesn't like the price his employer pays for his labor he can find another employer who will pay him more or he can make his labor more valuable so as to be able to get a higher price for it

But for the sake of argument, let's say you are correct... It served its purpose. The person made an honest living and moved on to better himself. The person employing them had to fill the position and may have had to increase the wage to fill it. The person taking the job is making an honest living and is free to move on to something better and the cycle can repeat itself over and over.

Low wage employees have the least bargaining power. That is not a justification to take advantage of them. Sure, we can live in a dog eat dog society where the weakest are fair game for the strong. Other societies have done that with peasants providing low cost labor for the wealthy

Exploit means make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource). Doesn't your employer exploit you too? Based on that definition mine does. Who knew I was being exploited?
Yes

In many labor markets there are no better opportunities.

so?

Yes

Really? Can you prove that?

Yes

LOL

Yes

LOL
So that is a no?

Not to worry, cellblock, you can always find work in your career as fast food server.

The fact of the matter remains that the customer will pay more in order to help the fast food server earn more.
Hey, stupid. He had links to why they aren't going to pay more for minimal labor in fast food. Enjoy talking to your kiosk as the person that used to do that job is now unemployed because you decided they are worth $15 an hour.
Those kiosks will come even if minimum wage stays at $7.25
Too bad you don't understand running a small business…
Explain why kiosks exist NOW......even with MW rates that haven't risen in eight years

I'll say it again
Even at today's MW it's cheaper in the long run to automate low skill jobs

The human burger flipper will always cost more over time than the robot burger flipper

Not to worry, cellblock, you can always find work in your career as fast food server.

The fact of the matter remains that the customer will pay more in order to help the fast food server earn more.
Hey, stupid. He had links to why they aren't going to pay more for minimal labor in fast food. Enjoy talking to your kiosk as the person that used to do that job is now unemployed because you decided they are worth $15 an hour.
Those kiosks will come even if minimum wage stays at $7.25
because they will be cheaper than employees even at 7.25 an hour
Exactly....so threatening that employees will be replaced if they don't agree to low wages is nonsense

And what do you think raising the MW to 15 an hour would do?

Slow automation or increase it?

Should we confiscate their wealth and distribute it to their employees?
Why of course not....we are not Robin Hood
But we should stop making excuses that they can not pay over $7.25 an hour
Some jobs are not worth paying someone $7.25 an hour, like stocking shelves and flipping burgers…
so?

no it's another opportunity for a low skilled worker to gain valuable experience which can be used to get a higher paying job in the future

The undriven have only themselves to blame for their status...

Why have public schools then? If a poor family isn't 'driven' enough to come up with the money for private schools, without taxpayer assistance,

shouldn't they just go without education for their children? Wouldn't that make America a better place?

Waitresses and bartenders aren't going to whine about getting 15 an hour because a lot of them can make 20 or more an hour when tips are included.

No one will tip a waitress who makes 15 an hour

I've tipped at the garage where the labor charge is 60 bucks an hour.

then you're an idiot
and a couple bucks on a bill in the hundreds of dollars is hardly a tip

Waitresses and bartenders aren't going to whine about getting 15 an hour because a lot of them can make 20 or more an hour when tips are included.

15 bucks where?

Minnesota Restaurant Adds Minimum Wage Surcharge To Customer Bills - Say Anything

That place put on a surcharge because the minimum wage was raised to 8 bucks.

I've tipped at the garage where the labor charge is 60 bucks an hour.

then you're an idiot
and a couple bucks on a bill in the hundreds of dollars is hardly a tip

Where in the US is the tipped wage 15 bucks an hour?

15 bucks where?

Minnesota Restaurant Adds Minimum Wage Surcharge To Customer Bills - Say Anything

That place put on a surcharge because the minimum wage was raised to 8 bucks.

you know as well as I do the whining is to raise the MW to 15 an hour

and even if the MW was raised to 8 an hour it still increased the operating expenses of the business

that you can't understand that is beyond me

It is more than most teachers get with a degree as a starting salary! I guess Joe Flunky who dropped out of high school deserves the same rate of pay as those who tried to teach them how to get a job.

Most teachers are way underpaid.
no they're not

Maybe where you live and the cost of living is outrageously high.

I live in New England so don't whine about cost of living to me

The average teacher in MA earns almost 75K for working part time job
That ain't underpaid

Forum List

Back