Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

Go to fast food restaurant chains now and take note of the "kiosks" that are being installed so that fewer workers will be behind the counter. Yes, wages will be higher for minimum wage jobs...but there will be far fewer of those jobs to be had.

Liberals were told that would be the result of imposing a much higher minimum wage but they did it anyways. Good luck finding entry level jobs for your kids now...you know...the ones that teach them to be responsible?

So your view of America is that we are doomed to become a low wage country with ongoing and increasing gaps between the rich and poor.

My view of America is that whenever government tries to impose artificially high wages all that results is higher prices for goods and services. Raise wages all you want but be intelligent enough to understand the results.

I don't know where you're from, but $15.00 an hour is not a high wage.

It is more than most teachers get with a degree as a starting salary! I guess Joe Flunky who dropped out of high school deserves the same rate of pay as those who tried to teach them how to get a job.

Not to worry, cellblock, you can always find work in your career as fast food server.

The fact of the matter remains that the customer will pay more in order to help the fast food server earn more.
Hey, stupid. He had links to why they aren't going to pay more for minimal labor in fast food. Enjoy talking to your kiosk as the person that used to do that job is now unemployed because you decided they are worth $15 an hour.
Those kiosks will come even if minimum wage stays at $7.25
Too bad you don't understand running a small business…

For you people who demand a free market,

how about we legalize teenage prostitution? There's a big market for that.

WHy don't we stick to adults? SInce that's what those of us with any common sense are talking about

Okay so with that you ADMIT that a free market is a terrible idea.
not for adults it isn't

Imposing government age regulations on the markets is an infringement on the 'free market'.

A minimum age for work is no different than a minimum dollar value for wages.
most people with common sense know that an agreed upon age of majority is a necessity

What's wrong with paying the lowest possible wages for the labor you buy?

Labor is sold to employers by employees it is a commodity like any other.

If the quality of the labor you sell is in demand then you can get a higher price for your labor

If all you can do is put burgers in a bag then you will not be able to sell your labor for very much

You mean greedy owners will be offsetting wage increases with higher prices ?

No one could have expected this obvious result.....

Lol
yes every time a business raises prices it's because the owners are greedy it has nothing to do with covering rising operating costs

and you think that will have no impact

again are you high?

Low wages have an impact on tens of millions of families
Yes, without them, millions of teenagers find it difficult to break into the job market.

I earned a $2.10 minimum wage on which I was able to pay for college by just working summers

Now, American families have to go into debt to send their kids to college. That debt is a direct result of low wages paid to college aged workers. Businesses make more profit off of low wage workers and American families make up the difference
You need to research why the cost of secondary education has gotten so high. You will find that low wages did not cause the increase.

Irrelevant
If I make a $7.25 salary to pay for college, I make $4,000 over a summer
If I make $15 an hour, I make $8000 ...not enough to pay for college, but close

The difference is the amount of money that must be borrowed. Conservative whimper about the impact raising minimum wage has on business while they mock the impact it has on workers
so now it's the employer's responsibility to make sure you can afford college?

when I was in college I still worked a full time 3rd shift job
summers I worked 3 jobs

I didn't whine to my employers that one of them should pay me enough to save for college for 3 months labor in the summer

And no one has to go into debt to get a college degree
all colleges allow students to take less than a full time credit load. You can work and go part time. So what if it takes 6 years instead of 4?

Last edited:
Many companies are able to do just fine paying their lowest level employees minimum wage or better.

My advice to the crybaby companies? Take some lessons from those successful companies.

You clearly know nothing about small businesses that are barely keeping their doors open. This is enough to destroy them.

At the very least, some will lose their jobs.

Small businesses made $4 trillion in the last eight years, they did not pass that on to their workers

You do know that in the US "small" business is defined as 500 employees or less don't you?

I bet you don't know that our ridiculous definition of "small" business actually encompasses 90% of all businesses in this country

Yes, without them, millions of teenagers find it difficult to break into the job market.

I earned a $2.10 minimum wage on which I was able to pay for college by just working summers

Now, American families have to go into debt to send their kids to college. That debt is a direct result of low wages paid to college aged workers. Businesses make more profit off of low wage workers and American families make up the difference
You need to research why the cost of secondary education has gotten so high. You will find that low wages did not cause the increase.

Irrelevant
If I make a $7.25 salary to pay for college, I make $4,000 over a summer
If I make $15 an hour, I make $8000 ...not enough to pay for college, but close

The difference is the amount of money that must be borrowed. Conservative whimper about the impact raising minimum wage has on business while they mock the impact it has on workers
Not everyone can go to college. Not everyone should go to college.
Figure that one out by yourself?

People rely on minimum wages to live on and provide essentials....no excuse to pay them substandard wages
MW is the standard wage

substandard would be below MW

You clearly know nothing about small businesses that are barely keeping their doors open. This is enough to destroy them.

Small businesses made $4 trillion in the last eight years, they did not pass that on to their workers
Should we confiscate their wealth and distribute it to their employees?
Why of course not....we are not Robin Hood
But we should stop making excuses that they can not pay over $7.25 an hour
Some jobs are not worth paying someone $7.25 an hour, like stocking shelves and flipping burgers…
An employer makes a profit off of every worker
Even those stocking shelves
so?

If the employee doesn't like the price his employer pays for his labor he can find another employer who will pay him more or he can make his labor more valuable so as to be able to get a higher price for it

:lmao:
No one starts a business just to hire people... you dumb fucker

What the fuck are you babbling about?
Small business hires workers to make a profit off of them. They can't claim they can't pay a higher wage than they did eight years ago when they saw 4 trillion in profit over those eight years
Whatever profits a business makes it's no one else's business but the owner/owners…
It is when you are crying poverty
Like you?

Not to worry, cellblock, you can always find work in your career as fast food server.

The fact of the matter remains that the customer will pay more in order to help the fast food server earn more.
Hey, stupid. He had links to why they aren't going to pay more for minimal labor in fast food. Enjoy talking to your kiosk as the person that used to do that job is now unemployed because you decided they are worth $15 an hour.
because they will be cheaper than employees even at 7.25 an hour

So you admit that these claims that automation is being cause by higher minimum wages are horseshit.

Some jobs are not worth paying someone $7.25 an hour, like stocking shelves and flipping burgers…
so?

If the employee doesn't like the price his employer pays for his labor he can find another employer who will pay him more or he can make his labor more valuable so as to be able to get a higher price for it

What world do you live in?

So you admit that these claims that automation is being cause by higher minimum wages are horseshit.
I never said they were caused by higher wages

I said it is cheaper even at the current MW and it is.
That said do you think raising MW to 15 an hour will slow or hasten automation

so?

What world do you live in?
the real world unlike you

Too bad you don't understand running a small business…
Explain why kiosks exist NOW......even with MW rates that haven't risen in eight years

so?

An employee leaves a minimum wage position...someone moves into it
That position is still underpaid

so?

You say it is underpaid? What authority do you have to make that claim?

But for the sake of argument, let's say you are correct... It served its purpose. The person made an honest living and moved on to better himself. The person employing them had to fill the position and may have had to increase the wage to fill it. The person taking the job is making an honest living and is free to move on to something better and the cycle can repeat itself over and over.

I don't see the problem. What is the problem?

Exactly....so threatening that employees will be replaced if they don't agree to low wages is nonsense

so?

You say it is underpaid? What authority do you have to make that claim?

But for the sake of argument, let's say you are correct... It served its purpose. The person made an honest living and moved on to better himself. The person employing them had to fill the position and may have had to increase the wage to fill it. The person taking the job is making an honest living and is free to move on to something better and the cycle can repeat itself over and over.

I don't see the problem. What is the problem?
Both people performing that job are being exploited

Low wage employees have the least bargaining power. That is not a justification to take advantage of them. Sure, we can live in a dog eat dog society where the weakest are fair game for the strong. Other societies have done that with peasants providing low cost labor for the wealthy

Forum List

Back