Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

In the political arena, the rich and their conservative (duped) allies from the middle class have always blamed the poor for the nation's problems. That will never change.

No, that is a lie.

Conservatives rightfully blame the Progressive and Democrat "leadership" for the plight of low-income workers.

For proof, just look at who the leaders are of our poorest cities.

I already told you; three to four percent inflation. the dollar menu will not even double.

Why lie about the inflation rate? Something so easy to find and post. Do you see the average?

US%20Inflation%2009%20-%2017_zpsalbm61ry.jpg

Excuses! Excuses! Obama had a chance to repeal the Bush tax cuts, he didn't! He had a chance to go after the crooks that helped cause the debacle in 2008, he did nothing.

Petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama raised taxes drastically.

No one was prosecuted for the activities leading up to the 2007/2008 mortgage/housing/financial meltdown because no laws were broken. Congress and the Democrats drew the blueprint for the collapse.

In the political arena, the rich and their conservative (duped) allies from the middle class have always blamed the poor for the nation's problems. That will never change.
No one is blaming anyone for anything

you see sheep like you are pathological blamers so you can't see the world through any other filter but your own

no we're not and our so called poor do not have it any worse than the so called poor in any other first world nation and they have it far far better than the actual poor in third world countries

Have you ever been to a third world country I wonder. I have and I have seen real poverty and we don't have it

and I do not think there is anything special about me I'm just an average guy who had a plan and followed it. I always knew that I was responsible for my own life and didn't depend on a job or anyone else to provide what I needed. I did whatever it took to work my plan. At 16 I got a job and worked 38 hours a week my last 3 years of HS because I knew I would need the money because no one was going to pay for my college but me summers I worked 2 jobs while my friends were hanging around doing nothing and begging their parents for spending money

and so what if people take extraordinary effort for a few years to get something better?
I kept the full time night job until I was in my late 30s. I worked full time during the day as well. Still managed to get a second degree and an MBA My wife worked almost as much we saved every cent from my day job and her 30 hour a week part time job for 10 years. We opened a business had plenty of capital and didn't have to go very deep in debt to do it. I kept the night job for the first 3 years our business was opened we both worked upwards of 90 hours a week for the first 5 years we were open

we put the work in up front and now work less than 40 hours a week each in a couple more years I'll be working about 20 I'll be semi retired by the time I'm 52 and the business will continue to pay us very well.

no one and I mean no one who ever accomplished anything worth while in a career only ever worked just 40 hours a week.

So when people whine they don't make enough money while they're buying 10 dollar coffees and smoking a pack a day I tune them out

So, you can do it, anyone can?

That's specious reasoning.

And don't sell yourself short; you apparently have put in extraordinary effort, and lacked lots of sleep.
the right wing has nothing but fallacy, and that is why they argue, nothing but fantasy.

Henry Ford doubled autoworker wages not minimum wages; why cannot every modern capitalist, do the same? why expect more from the poor, than they can do themselves.
nothing I said was a fallacy or a fantasy. I actually did it. You see unlike you I didn't aspire to live with my Mommy and collect welfare my entire life
Henry Ford doubled autoworker wages not minimum wages; why cannot every modern capitalist, do the same? why expect more from the poor, than they can do themselves.

so you expect me to pay my people who get 16-18 an hour double

what do you think that will do to my prices?

when all my vendors double their wages what do you think that will do to the prices of all the things I have to buy to run my business and what will have to happen to my prices?

The funny thing is, you said that like you believed it.
After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:
Now where did I complain about the victims? Look in the mirror.
The poor and middle class are the victims, dolt. We have the worst rich poor gap and upward mobility ever TODAY. Reaganism, not obstructed Obama, dupe.
when you think your'e a victim everyone else has to be victims so you don't feel like so pathetic

The only people the carrot is out of reach for are those physically or mentally disabled, and we take care of those people. Everybody else? It's up to you if you want that carrot or a bushel of carrots.
I would have more confidence in the sincerity of the right, if corporate welfare did not exist in modern times. why not end that, first?

Why would I want to end people keeping more of their very own money? DumBama had two years with a Democrat led Congress to do whatever he desired. Why didn't he end it?
The hell he did, dupe, he had 24 days in session without the GOP filibustering everything, dupe. And btw, the middle of a corrupt GOP world meltdown is NOT THE TIME TO RAISE TAXES. Idiot.

Yeah, and DumBama did it anyway.
Did WHAT anyway? You need a nap. All he did was cut payroll taxes.
temporarily

Apparently math isn't your strong suit. The first wrong assumption you're making is that the higher wage person has a job at all. 3-4% increased not inflation but wages is a problem if your entire business is making 5%. Are you too dumb to follow that?
Labor is a significant cost, but not the only cost a business has; any more hearsay and soothsay from the right wing?

Who on here claimed that labor was the ONLY cost a business has? I suggest you are claiming extremes to make your case, just like Nazi propagandist did.
What extremes; three to four percent price inflation is what should be usual and customary; the dollar menu will not double in price.

You are arguing with the wrong person over the wrong issue. I have no problem paying more food because of higher wages. I don't want it as a surcharge, just put it into the bottom line price.

You made an issue of wages not being the only cost, I asked you to tell me who claimed it was? You as usual failed to answer, which is normal for you. You make shallow statements and fail to back up anything you claim, normal MO for you. More silliness from the shallow left.
the right wing claims, extremism in price inflation.
no people here are saying that mandating higher labor costs will result in higher prices

The funny thing is, you said that like you believed it.
After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:
Now where did I complain about the victims? Look in the mirror.
The poor and middle class are the victims, dolt. We have the worst rich poor gap and upward mobility ever TODAY. Reaganism, not obstructed Obama, dupe.
So all that money spent on the war on poverty accomplished...what exactly?
we have "poor" people that are richer than 70% of the entire population of the planet

No, I didn't say what you said I said. Why lie? Conservatives have no problem with legal immigrants that earn a living, in fact many are conservatives. Liberals just can't see them because they don't fit their old rich white man template.

But you did an excellent job of illustrating the victims of life. Can't get ahead so why bother? Like I said, many are passing you up while you're feeling sorry for yourself.

My point was not and will never be, why bother? My point is if you have to be extraordinary just to survive (not get ahead, but just to tread water) that's not a quality life. It's not about everyone being some great success. It's about rewarding a work ethic.

When I was growing up, poor people were told to "get a job." Now the working poor are told, "Tough shit, get a better job." It's moving the goal posts. Not everyone wants to get rich, but a work ethic should be rewarded.

Nobody gets rewarded just for having a good work ethic. Workers get rewarded for doing jobs that not everybody can do. If you do have a job anybody can do (work ethic or not) there is not much of a reward to be had.

The thing is businesses don't do anything different than you or I. When we use labor, we look for the cheapest labor we can.
I prefer a general tax on Firms, for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis.

Yes, I know, you've said that about a hundred times, and about a hundred times I TRIED to explain to you what unemployment was, but obviously, you don't get it.
that is why. I prefer a general tax on Firms, for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis.
you do know that all business pay both state and federal unemployment taxes based on their payroll don't you?

No, of course you don't

If the paycheck isn't enough to feed you and shelter you, it's not much of a reward. Again, people act like you can just hop to a better job if you're not satisfied with your current pay. Wages are stagnant. It's a fact.

If you have nothing more to add to the profit margin and productivity of a company, why do you deserve more pay?

Go to night school, take a part time job, work overtime, take courses online, get off your duff and quit acting like a victim.

First%20part%20time%20job_zpszrpzn9tl.jpg

If an employee had nothing to add to the profit margin, why are they hired in the first place?

Who is acting like a victim? Low-wage employees are asserting how much their time, effort, and skills are worth. That's advocating for themselves, not being victims.

and just how much profit do you think an employer makes on a MW employee?

It ain't much

and the skills needed to perform MW work aren't worth much
If you want to make more than MW then you have to make the time you sell to your employer worth more

Funny I always thought of my employers (when I had them) as customers who I sell a product to and I always wanted to give them the highest quality product I could which means that in every entry level job I had the first thing I ever did was find out exactly what I had to do to get a promotion.

That's how I was managing the entire dairy section of a large supermarket when I was 17 and still in high school and was making almost twice as much as the guys who just wanted to stock shelves

If the paycheck isn't enough to feed you and shelter you, it's not much of a reward. Again, people act like you can just hop to a better job if you're not satisfied with your current pay. Wages are stagnant. It's a fact.

If you have nothing more to add to the profit margin and productivity of a company, why do you deserve more pay?

Go to night school, take a part time job, work overtime, take courses online, get off your duff and quit acting like a victim.

First%20part%20time%20job_zpszrpzn9tl.jpg

If an employee had nothing to add to the profit margin, why are they hired in the first place?

Who is acting like a victim? Low-wage employees are asserting how much their time, effort, and skills are worth. That's advocating for themselves, not being victims.

It ain't much

and the skills needed to perform MW work aren't worth much
If you want to make more than MW then you have to make the time you sell to your employer worth more

Funny I always thought of my employers (when I had them) as customers who I sell a product to and I always wanted to give them the highest quality product I could which means that in every entry level job I had the first thing I ever did was find out exactly what I had to do to get a promotion.

That's how I was managing the entire dairy section of a large supermarket when I was 17 and still in high school and was making almost twice as much as the guys who just wanted to stock shelves

It ain't much

That assertion really doesn't jibe with the analysis of the same matter, nor does it jibe with the growing gap between firm profits and wages in general.
Even in my own industry -- professional services -- where nobody earns anything even near minimum wage and where the overwhelming majority of costs are directly or indirectly -- e.g., employee development, recruiting, etc. -- and directly labor-related, our lower level professionals are the ones who contribute the most to our overall profits and profit margins. The simple fact is that clients aren't going to pay to have a project staffed by a swarm of deeply experienced professionals who bill at over $600/hr, nevermind ones billing at $1K+/hour. Thus, when I look at my project P&Ls, a tiny bit of the revenue comes from my billable hours and the vast majority of it comes from low-to-middle wage personnel (generally, senior consultants and people about a year away from being or having been a senior consultant).

The basic phenomenon works about the same in product oriented firms. Take a car maker like BMW for example. It's best selling models are also its least expensive one; thus that's where the majority of its profitability comes from. I suspect that at non-premium car companies, mid-to-low price cars. I'm not sure how things play out with trucks.

In "classic" low wage firms -- mass market retail, fast food, and so on -- there is no way the lowest wage workers aren't the most profitable ones. The reason for that is because those are the workers who face those firms' customers. The most profitable person in McDonald's, for example, is the one who primarily works the cash register and who up or "add on" sells most effectively. Essentially the same idea applies to all of retail. The only exceptions are very small owner-operated outfits for which one must impute as wages the distributions the owner takes from his/her company.

The part you can't see is that people come here barely speaking the language and do well. some very well. If you can't get a decent bite of the carrot it's not the carrot's fault. It means you lived life as a victim in a land of opportunity.

Bullshit. Of course it's not the carrot's fault; it's the fault of the asshole dangling the carrot just out of reach.

The only people the carrot is out of reach for are those physically or mentally disabled, and we take care of those people. Everybody else? It's up to you if you want that carrot or a bushel of carrots.
I would have more confidence in the sincerity of the right, if corporate welfare did not exist in modern times. why not end that, first?

Why would I want to end people keeping more of their very own money? DumBama had two years with a Democrat led Congress to do whatever he desired. Why didn't he end it?
every bailout for the rich, inspires less confidence in the sincerity of the right
You keep chanting the same idiotic mantra over and over and over expecting it to become reality. Big business is more often than not behind Democrats, not the right.

In "classic" low wage firms -- mass market retail, fast food, and so on -- there is no way the lowest wage workers aren't the most profitable ones. The reason for that is because those are the workers who face those firms' customers. The most profitable person in McDonald's, for example, is the one who primarily works the cash register and who up or "add on" sells most effectively.
If you believe that everything else you said is moot. Higher end employees are going more critical and professional work. The manager would be making the most money at McDs because he runs the ship. I've been in a few that were horrible, food tasted like shit, the floor was greasy. A good manager won't let that happen. He will bring in far more business than the zit faced kid that asks if you want Biggie fries.

No one wants to pay more in taxes
So you don't want to make more money?
To the selfish, it is just as easy as that.

if your attitude is 'screw everyone else just as I get mine' then raising your salary and making sure you aren't the one being fired is a great plan.

Several years ago an airline called the Mechanics Union, the Stewardess' Union, and the Pilot's Union together and opened up their books, showing them everything. They made the honest pitch that they had to cut salaries by a slight amount across the board or the company would have to go bankrupt & everyone would lose their jobs.

After much thought consideration the Mechanic and stewardess Unions, not wanting to lose their entire jobs, agreed to take the cuts....The Pilots did NOT...and everyone lost their jobs.
How much did the CEO make before the pay cuts and how much does he make now? I bet his pay has doubled.

Anyways, this is why we need to get real unemployment down. When we have more jobs than workers pay goes up. If CEOs can get you for ten why pay more?

Or......... less workers can be accomplished by getting rid of immigrants and closing down our border. Wages can never increase when you allow people to come here and work for next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
The wall is useless and un-American, dupe. Think unfakable SS ID card to end this GOP BS. Like in the 2010 Dem Immigration Bill.
But but but then that would really end the practice of employers hiring illegals.

I went two a Chinese buffet yesterday and not one worker there could speak English. Does anyone believe any of those workers are legal immigrants? It's practically slavery 2017 right under our noses

Bullshit. Of course it's not the carrot's fault; it's the fault of the asshole dangling the carrot just out of reach.

every bailout for the rich, inspires less confidence in the sincerity of the right
You keep chanting the same idiotic mantra over and over and over expecting it to become reality. Big business is more often than not behind Democrats, not the right.
Oh look. Sealybooboo thought that was funny. Look into it, Mr. Cluelesspothead.

the only way to bring the price of medical costs down is to let the public know what the costs are in the first place.

The single biggest scam is the hiding of the costs. No one knows what medical care costs up front so they can't make informed decisions on where to get care
And you believe Republicans are going to solve this?
where did I ever say that?

and I don't know how many times I have to tell you before it sinks into your thick skull that I am not nor have I ever been a reublican

He has binary thinking disease, he can't get past Democrat or Republican thinking. What is sad is that is the thinking that got us into this mess.
No I get it. Especially when Republicans are in charge because then reality collides with their rhetoric. For example healthcare. Now we see us liberals were right. The GOP lied about the aca. Turns out things would be worse if not for it.

Maybe you idiots should have voted against Republicans in 2010 instead of giving them back control of the house and senate.

You rewarded bad behavior.

And last I checked we have two parties. If you aren't a democrat then you're a Republican. And you guys got us in this message. I don't blame the politicians anymore. I would favor the rich too. You don't need favoring. You vote for them even when they fuck you. Or almost as good you people reward them by not voting

With healthcare the Democrats are wrong, what we have is free premiums with people not being able to afford the deductible. See if you give people with no money health insurance and a $3500 deductible, it does them no good. So really the Democrat party was wrong. You have no proof that we were worse off, that is an opinion.

Also, it wasn't just Republicans that voted in 2010, so your blame game is also a flawed opinion.

We have more than two party's in fact there are several hundred. Just your way of not taking blame for a mess that all helped create. If you have voted either Republican or Democrat, you helped get us into this mess because you only hold the Republicans accountable.
2 options

$3500 deductible and survive cancer or don't have insurance so you can't afford the million dollar cure.

the only way to bring the price of medical costs down is to let the public know what the costs are in the first place.

The single biggest scam is the hiding of the costs. No one knows what medical care costs up front so they can't make informed decisions on where to get care

and I don't know how many times I have to tell you before it sinks into your thick skull that I am not nor have I ever been a reublican
I always thought of skullpilot as a con/rep. What are you?

I am completely unaffiliated.

I can't help it if you can only see the world in 2 dimensions

I agree, I lean conservative, however I am not a Republican.
OK, I'm not a democrat. I just vote for them. Happy?

Do you believe Republicans are going to bring prices down?

You just vote for them. lol. Or their puppets.

Do you believe the crap you spew?
I do

Forum List

Back