rhythm guitarists

From the options below, who in your opinion is the GOAT rhythm guitarist?

• James Hetfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stone Gossard

• Brad Whitford

• Malcolm Young

• Rick Derringer

• Chuck Berry

• Johnny Ramone

• Kurt Cobain

• Tom Morello

• Roy Clark

• Pete Townshend

• Paul Stanley

• Total voters

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Who's the all-time best?

Can he play rhythm for every style listed above besides the musical genre for which he's best known? For example: Can Chuck Berry play speed metal? Can James Hetfield play the blues? Can Tom Morello play bluegrass? Could Kurt Cobain (R.I.P.) play rockabilly?

Those are the questions I suggest you ask yourself when you're voting on this poll.

Pick 'em.

Last edited:
Mick Ronson!

Also:

Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead

Rich Williams of Kansas

Davey Johnson in Elton's band

None of those guys you name can play in the style of James Hetfield's and Dave Mustaine's genre: speed metal.

Dave Mustaine can play rhythm amazingly well in the style of every genre listed among those of the guitarists in the poll.

He can play rockabilly.

He can play blues.

He can play punk.

He can play jam band.

He can play country.

He can play bluegrass.

He can play jazz.

He can play straight rock.

And he can play ANY KIND OF HEAVY METAL.

Who's the all-time best?

Can he play rhythm for every style listed above besides the musical genre for which he's best known? For example: Can Chuck Berry play speed metal? Can James Hetfield play the blues? Can Tom Morello play bluegrass? Could Kurt Cobain (R.I.P.) play rockabilly?

Those are the questions I suggest you ask yourself when you're voting on this poll.

Pick 'em.

Shoulda saved everybody time and just dispensed your great musical wisdom from on high in thirty words or less.

Keith, no doubt about it.

Cool. Thanks for voting.

But I have never heard him play with a bluegrass band, and I'm also pretty sure he can't play speed or symphonic power metal.

Keith is a fine enough musician that he could play any type of music that he wanted to. He plays in the Stones and plays mostly rock n roll. When I was a musician I had two friends who were his rhythm section in the Expensive Winos. These guys are great musicians, but they treated Keith like a god.

Mick Ronson!

Also:

Rich Williams of Kansas

None of those guys you name can play in the style of James Hetfield's and Dave Mustaine's genre: speed metal.

You didn't specify any genres. And crunching chords does not make you a great rhythm guitarist. Filling out the song with great chords, phrasing, and tone makes you a great rhythm guitarist! Which is why most people would pick Keith Richards.

Who's the all-time best?

Pick 'em.

Shoulda saved everybody time and just dispensed your great musical wisdom from on high in thirty words or less.

S'that all you got?

Was just trying to foster a discussion, sport.

Any idiot can put a song on a jukebox thread, or Google something someone else wrote and plagiarize it.

Post something on that "Iron Maiden gallop" thread, and show us what you really know about music.

I don't think you can.

Mick Ronson!

Also:

Rich Williams of Kansas

You didn't specify any genres. And crunching chords does not make you a great rhythm guitarist. Filling out the song with great chords, phrasing, and tone makes you a great rhythm guitarist! Which is why most people would pick Keith Richards.

Keith also plays parts that remain in your head. Honkey Tonk Women, Jumping Jack Flash, etc.

Forum List

Back