Rising extreme weather events

And China continues to flood;

They need more green energy!

What they need is more brains. The cold spell in 2011 should have told them that there grid was inadequate to handle a long freeze. But they did nothing, and the inevitable happened. At the same time as some of their mills were freezing up, the mills in the Dakotas, where it was far colder for longer, were doing just fine. Why was that? Couldn't be because "Conservatives" are just too damned stupid to consider what the future might bring? El Paso, which is not on the Texas grid, had no power outages. Yes, they do need more green energy. And some people in government with enough brains to realize that you need to prepare the grid for winter even in Texas.

What they need is more brains.

How would more brains prevent the floods in China?

You said they needed more green energy. I replied speaking about the February freeze in Texas. As for China needing more green energy, you really don't have to tell the Chinese that. They are installing wind mills and solar farms as quickly as they can. More energy might not prevent floods, but it sure helps during reconstruction.

And China continues to flood;

They need more green energy!

What they need is more brains. The cold spell in 2011 should have told them that there grid was inadequate to handle a long freeze. But they did nothing, and the inevitable happened. At the same time as some of their mills were freezing up, the mills in the Dakotas, where it was far colder for longer, were doing just fine. Why was that? Couldn't be because "Conservatives" are just too damned stupid to consider what the future might bring? El Paso, which is not on the Texas grid, had no power outages. Yes, they do need more green energy. And some people in government with enough brains to realize that you need to prepare the grid for winter even in Texas.

What they need is more brains.

How would more brains prevent the floods in China?

You said they needed more green energy. I replied speaking about the February freeze in Texas. As for China needing more green energy, you really don't have to tell the Chinese that. They are installing wind mills and solar farms as quickly as they can. More energy might not prevent floods, but it sure helps during reconstruction.

You said they needed more green energy.

Are you saying more green energy wouldn't stop Chinese floods?

I replied speaking about the February freeze in Texas.

In a post about Chinese floods. DURR.

As for China needing more green energy, you really don't have to tell the Chinese that.

I know, their new coal plants kind of cancel out their "green energy".

It's a topic about nothing. The graph is based on the value of overall losses but the value of overall losses due to weather events naturally spike as the value of property increases. You could only imagine what the henny penny global alarmists would have said about the Galveston disaster at the dawn of the 20th century.

Nobody knows the effects of extreme weather events better than the people that insure the insurance companies.
View attachment 501543
Didn't you make the same thread 10 years ago?
Yes, I did. And the rise in extreme weather events have proven the scientists prediction correct. As the continuing rise in extreme weather events will continue to increase the cost of those events every year.

It's a topic about nothing. The graph is based on the value of overall losses but the value of overall losses due to weather events naturally spike as the value of property increases. You could only imagine what the henny penny global alarmists would have said about the Galveston disaster at the dawn of the 20th century.
1624153879882.png

Nobody knows the effects of extreme weather events better than the people that insure the insurance companies.
View attachment 501543
Yes, I did. And the rise in extreme weather events have proven the scientists prediction correct. As the continuing rise in extreme weather events will continue to increase the cost of those events every year.
Just more people...

View attachment 503436

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We got the very best president in the world working with FEMA on mitigation strategies. He knows what is going on. I feel very safe in his very capable and very assured hands.

“But, uh, there’s, you know, there’s to be, you know, beginning, uh, this effort for 2021 is, uh…” Biden stumbled. “I think we’ve learned a few lessons from last year, as well. There’s help, as so, uh, we, you know, being there to help, clear roads, rebuild main streets, uh, so that families can get back to their lives, uh, that’s what FEMA does every single day.”

A bunch of people in Texas are caring right now as once again their electricity is going tits up. But they have 1/4 billion dollars to spend on a wall that can be scaled with a $5 ladder. Typical Cult of Trump logic.

They have the problem BECAUSE of you clods demanding intermittent low mass power of wind and solar, they were required by the Obamination administration. The disaster last winter was the utter failure of wind to do its part that the back up high mass power generators struggled to keep the lights on.
You are such a dummy. Yes, the failure of the turbines did contribute to the disaster. However, 15 Gwts loss was from natural gas, and about 4 gwts was from wind. Yet there was little wind loss in places like Minnesota or the Dakotas. And they were colder for longer. And little loss in those areas from loss of natural gas. Now why do you suppose that was? Texas even had a nuke go offline from frozen water pipes, the same for some coal generation plants. Now we have a heat crisis, and that same Texas grid is failing in places again. Maybe an investment in their grid would be wiser than building a quarter billion dollar wall that can be scaled with a five dollar ladder. Here are some of the facts about that power loss in February;

Here is a far better article one covered by an actual engineer who lives there and additional discussion from other engineers as well, here is the chart of the power production over 10 days.

1624163351247.png

Figure 1. EIA plot of ERCOT hourly generation data from Feb. 7 through Feb. 17.

NG actually did the job kicking in to cover Wind power abject failure despite some Valves freezing up that slowed down the flow of NG, but still stayed up high that more than accounted for the big drop in wind power generation.

=====

So what put the gas generators “out of commission”. There were numerous problems.

"1. At 1:55 AM on February 15 the grid sustained an unexpected drop in frequency from 60 Hertz to 59.3 Hertz. That knocked several non renewable generators off line almost immediately. They still had gas supply but were tripped off line and all generation stopped. ERCOT says they don’t know what caused the frequency drop. But it coincided with the sudden loss of wind energy.

2. Power was lost to numerous pipeline compressor stations. Without electricity they don’t operate. That dramatically slowed the rate of gas flow through the pipelines.

3. I suspect some gas plants were running on interruptible power. Its cheaper and its rarely interrupted. Those plants had their power cut in order to route gas to home heating use."

=====

It was the big drop of wind power that triggered the power generators to shut down automatically, here is what was pointed that was supported by Genscape (Genscape PowerRT is a commercial software product that allows those in the energy business to monitor ERCOT’s power grid in real time.) HERE

It is clear YOU like to ignore factors that hurts your green delusion.

Last edited:
View attachment 501543
It's the dumbest argument ever.

A bunch of people in Texas are caring right now as once again their electricity is going tits up. But they have 1/4 billion dollars to spend on a wall that can be scaled with a $5 ladder. Typical Cult of Trump logic.

They have the problem BECAUSE of you clods demanding intermittent low mass power of wind and solar, they were required by the Obamination administration. The disaster last winter was the utter failure of wind to do its part that the back up high mass power generators struggled to keep the lights on.
You are such a dummy. Yes, the failure of the turbines did contribute to the disaster. However, 15 Gwts loss was from natural gas, and about 4 gwts was from wind. Yet there was little wind loss in places like Minnesota or the Dakotas. And they were colder for longer. And little loss in those areas from loss of natural gas. Now why do you suppose that was? Texas even had a nuke go offline from frozen water pipes, the same for some coal generation plants. Now we have a heat crisis, and that same Texas grid is failing in places again. Maybe an investment in their grid would be wiser than building a quarter billion dollar wall that can be scaled with a five dollar ladder. Here are some of the facts about that power loss in February;

Here is a far better article one covered by an actual engineer who lives there and additional discussion from other engineers as well, here is the chart of the power production over 10 days.

View attachment 503485

NG actually did the job kicking in to cover Wind power abject failure despite some Valves freezing up that slowed down the flow of NG, but still stayed up high that more than accounted for the big drop in wind power generation.

=====

So what put the gas generators “out of commission”. There were numerous problems.

"1. At 1:55 AM on February 15 the grid sustained an unexpected drop in frequency from 60 Hertz to 59.3 Hertz. That knocked several non renewable generators off line almost immediately. They still had gas supply but were tripped off line and all generation stopped. ERCOT says they don’t know what caused the frequency drop. But it coincided with the sudden loss of wind energy.

2. Power was lost to numerous pipeline compressor stations. Without electricity they don’t operate. That dramatically slowed the rate of gas flow through the pipelines.

3. I suspect some gas plants were running on interruptible power. Its cheaper and its rarely interrupted. Those plants had their power cut in order to route gas to home heating use."

=====

It was the big drop of wind power that triggered the power generators to shut down automatically, here is what was pointed that was supported by Genscape (Genscape PowerRT is a commercial software product that allows those in the energy business to monitor ERCOT’s power grid in real time.) HERE

According to local sources, that graph is not accurate at all. From the Texas Tribune;

"The outages during this storm far exceeded what ERCOT had predicted in November for an extreme winter event. The forecast for peak demand was 67 gigawatts; peak usage during the storm was more than 69 gigawatts Sunday.

It’s estimated that about 80% of the grid’s capacity, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or 6 gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

Woodfin said Tuesday that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, are offline and that 30 gigawatts of thermal sources, which include gas, coal and nuclear energy, are offline.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” Woodfin said during a Tuesday call with reporters"

.https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/

View attachment 503485

=====

=====

I tried to find the source of that graph you posted, but it only took me to a picture of the graph. How about posting the whole source. Without the source, I disregard graphs like that., Not credible. Here is a more credible source.

"In the presentation, Magness noted that the types of generation that went out of service was widely distributed, as to type. At peak of outages on Feb. 15-16, the capacity out were as follows:

• Natural gas: about 27 GW, or about 52% of capacity
  • Wind: about 18 GW, or about 57% of capacity
  • Coal: about 6 GW, or about 44% of capacity
  • Solar: about 750 MW, or about 12% of capacity
  • Nuclear: about 700 MW, or about 13% of capacity

The contrast with February 2011's rolling outage event was stark, as the earlier event only had outages for 7.5 hours and were loads to be shed small enough that distribution utilities could actually cycle customers online and off, whereas the 2021 event had outages for 70.5 hours and required such a large total load to be shed, that some customers had to remain offline for days, so that power could be continued for essential services, Magness said"
.https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/022421-ercot-lost-almost-half-of-generation-capacity-in-storm-causing-20-gw-load-shed

View attachment 503436

We got the very best president in the world working with FEMA on mitigation strategies. He knows what is going on. I feel very safe in his very capable and very assured hands.

“But, uh, there’s, you know, there’s to be, you know, beginning, uh, this effort for 2021 is, uh…” Biden stumbled. “I think we’ve learned a few lessons from last year, as well. There’s help, as so, uh, we, you know, being there to help, clear roads, rebuild main streets, uh, so that families can get back to their lives, uh, that’s what FEMA does every single day.”

So, Biden has a problem with stuttering. At least he makes good sense, and it not a traitor to this nation as agent orange was and is,

View attachment 501543
Just more people...
Really a dumb fuck statement. Munich Re and many other insurers have graphs that show the same thing. This is by event, not cost;

1624205746643.png

View attachment 501543
Just more people...
Really a dumb fuck statement. Munich Re and many other insurers have graphs that show the same thing. This is by event, not cost;

View attachment 503650
Ohhhh a pretty graph that only goes back a few decades show me a graph of the past 300 years

With the same metrics

View attachment 503436

So, Biden has a problem with stuttering. At least he makes good sense, and it not a traitor to this nation as agent orange was and is,

You are a fool if you think that is all that is going on.

Why not look at some footage of just ten years ago of his public appearances and stop living in a fictional reality?

. . . oh, that would be too much to ask, look at the topic of this thread. . .

:auiqs.jpg:

View attachment 503436

floods -- in China???

Why are they building more coal plants than the rest of the world is decommissioning?

It should be a scientific issue, not a political issue. However, as is normal for them, the "Conservatives" are busy ignoring reality, and are doing their best to ruin the future for all of us.

View attachment 501543
Just more people...

View attachment 503650
Ohhhh a pretty graph that only goes back a few decades show me a graph of the past 300 years

With the same metrics
Impossible to explain to a really stupid person that things have changed siginificantly in the last 300 years.

Forum List

Back