Rob Portman Reverses Gay Marriage Stance After Son Comes Out

Is it more acceptable to be a drug addict today than in 1953? How about a serial womanizer?

It was much more acceptable in 1953 to be a drug addict (ie alcohol) than in 2013. Remember how folks used to drink during their lunch break and it'd be OK? That stuff doesn't fly anymore.

Serial Womanizer? 1953 without a doubt. Think of the roles of men/women then as they compare to now...

No, drug addict. Alcoholic is not the same thing. Quit playing games.
Yes, some things are more acceptable, some less.
What was your point again?

Rabbi – Really? I genuinely thought you were better than that.

Alcohol is a drug. People who are addicted to alcohol are drug addicts. To say it's not a drug is really quite absurd (and I'm sure you know this). What exactly makes alcohol any different than marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth, ect?

In fact, if I was to pick out one of those as not belonging in the group it’d be marijuana based on the fact that you can’t overdose on it, it’s non-addictive, and it actually provides many proven health benefits to those who smoke it (vs cocaine or alcohol). Marijuana is more of a 'medicine' than a drug (in my opinion). Tell me, have you ever heard of a doctor prescribing alcohol to cancer patients?

Secondly, my point was exactly what you stated – some things (ie being gay in the US) are more acceptable now vs then. You nailed it.

Last edited:
I believe God does judge nations that are morally bankrupt. Sodom was morally bankrupt and we see it was judged by fire. I believe God would have to apologise to Sodom and Gomorrah if he didn't judge America. Don't you? Lets look at what will bring judgment on a nation.. murder of 50 million babies ( abortion! check! ) openly celebrating homosexuality which is an abomination to God ( check! ) building altars to baal - Mosques included on land that was dedicated to God Almighty ( America! Check! ) Interfering with Israels right to defend herself - dividing up her land ( big judgment coming for that one ) siding with her enemies ( arab oil is not an excuse - neither is intimidation, folks ) these are the very things that have brought the judgment of God and with it? Obama. I don't believe America will have another president after Obama - what you see is it.. our nation was blessed tremendously because we were a nation who served God, knew the bible, attended church, we acknowledged God in everything we did but now? Now we have a judgment that is going to be so severe your very hair will turn white over it. I don't expect it will be very long before our enemies attack us from without and within - judgment of God is at the door now. There is no denying it. Even unbelievers know something is up.

So here is the good news... Under a nuclear attack those who belong fully to the LORD have nothing to worry about. The bad news is...... The rest of you have alot to worry about. Then there is the Good News that Jesus saves... whosoever will can come to Him and he will receive them - Psalm 91 will become theirs in an instant! Then there is the bad news...... that some of you are STILL going to reject him. If I were an unbeliever I'd buy a bible and read it from cover to cover with the prayer that God would reveal His Son to me and save me. That is what I'd do. - Jeremiah

Morally bankrupt?

Again, are you going to sit here and tell me that we are less moral now vs 1850 when (as I mentioned before) millions and millions of African Americans were being kidnapped (by Americans) and shipped in 130 degree slave ships across the Atlantic to work slave labor for life? Imagine someone coming into your home, breaking up your entire family (never to be seen again) and shipping you off to a completely foreign country to work slave labor for life. Oh yea, and you’ll probably get raped a few times a month too.

Explain to me – please – how our society was less morally “bankrupt” back then as compared to now…

Revisionist history. Americans never kidnapped any slaves. The africans kidnapped were taken by africans as a result of tribal warfare ans sold to ARAB slave traders.

The left is dependent on ignorance.

OMIGOD Down the Rabbit Hole!

Katz, really?

Regardless of how the Africans were initially "kidnapped", the White Americans shipped them over to the United States in 130 degree slave ships (1 of 3 perished), the White Americans auctioned them off (splitting apart families), the White Americans forced them to work on their plantations for no pay, the White Americans whipped and raped them, ect, ect.

Or am I mistaken, was it the Africans that ran the plantations and commerce in the US in 1850 and forced other Africans (in America) to work slave labor?

Be courageous and explain yourself.

According to colonial records, the first slave owner in the United States was a black man.

By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

The popular opinion regarding slavery in the United States is that it was a simple matter of racial oppression of blacks by whites. However, the presence of black slaveholders in North America prior to the Civil War shows that slavery was not based solely on color but on economics. Black slave owners, for the most part, were complicities in support of the institution deriving from it wealth and privileges denied to other groups.

Unspoken Reality: Black Slaveholders Prior to the Civil War

Listen, you know as well as me that it was the White Americans who controlled and perpetuated a grand majority of the US slave trade, period. Blacks couldn't even vote in the US at this time!

Don't be a moron.

Well duh, if you look at a small percentage of the trans-atlantic slave trade, that percentage ending up here then you can say that it was white Americans that controlled it.

Myth: Most slaves were imported into what is now the United States
Fact: Well over 90 percent of slaves from Africa were imported into the Caribbean and South America

Myth: Slavery is a product of capitalism.
Fact: Slavery is older than the first human records.

Myth: Slavery is a product of Western Civilization.
Fact: Slavery is virtually a universal institution.

Myth: Slavery in the non-western world was a mild, benign, and non-economic institution.
Fact: Slaves were always subject to torture, sexual exploitation, and arbitrary death.

Myth: Slavery was an economically backward and inefficient institution.
Fact: Many of the most progressive societies in the world had slaves.

Myth: Slavery was always based on race.
Fact: Not until the 15th century was slavery associated primarily with people of African descent.

Myth: Europeans physically enslaved Africans or hired mercenaries who captured people for export or that African rulers were "Holocaust abettors" who were themselves to blame for the slave trade.
Fact: Europeans did engage in some slave raiding; the majority of people who were transported to the Americas were enslaved by Africans in Africa.

Myth: Many slaves were captured with nets.
Fact: There is no evidence that slaves were captured with nets; war was the most important source of enslavement.

Myth: Kidnapping was the usual means of enslavement.
Fact: War was the most important source of enslavement; it would be incorrect to reduce all of these wars to slave raids.

Myth: The slave trade permanently broke slaves' bonds with Africa.
Fact: Slaves were able to draw upon their African cultural background and experiences and use them as a basis for life in the New World.

Myth: Plantation life with its harsh labor, unstable families, and high mortality, made it difficult for Africans to construct social ties
Fact: African nations persisted in America well into the 18th century and even the early 19th century.

Myth: Masters assigned names to slaves or slaves imitated masters' systems of naming.
Fact: In fact, slaves were rarely named for owners. Naming patterns appear to have reflected African practices, such as the custom of giving children "day names" (after the day they were born) and "name-saking," such as naming children after grandparents.

Myth: Slaveholders sought to deculturate slaves by forbidding African names and languages and obliterating African culture.
Fact: While deculturation was part of the "project" of slavery, in fact African music, dance, decoration, design, cuisine, and religion exerted a profound, ongoing influence on American culture.
Fact: Slaves adapted religious rites and perpetuated a rich tradition of folklore.

Source

Army guy - the gallup polls support my claim. Not yours. Here are some credible links you should look at. If they don't post correctly you can google the titles and read it for yourself. The majority of Americans oppose gay Marriage and Gallup Poll Link proves this to be true also. - Jeremiah

NOM Claims Majority Oppose Gay Marriage - On Top Magazine | Gay ...
On Top Magazine21 hours ago
Mar 14, 2013 · ... NOM claims a majority of Americans oppose gay marriage. ... marriage, the overwhelming majority voted ... Against Gays? Increasing Support For Gay ...
Majority of Americans Continue to Oppose Gay Marriage

I guess you didn't read a latter paragraph disagreeing with NOM:

"Surveys over the past 18 months have shown a majority of Americans support extending marriage rights to gay couples. During the last election cycle, voters in three states legalized such unions and Minnesotans became the first to reject an amendment seeking to exclude gay couples from marriage."​

Majority of Americans Continue to Oppose Gay Marriage ... increasingly likely to believe that the law should not discriminate against gay individuals and gay ...

Interesting, you went back to 2009 in your link. Here's the chart for 2012...

ljidpw36ceqh7xm50bwyzg.gif

>>>>

Army guy - the gallup polls support my claim. Not yours. Here are some credible links you should look at. If they don't post correctly you can google the titles and read it for yourself. The majority of Americans oppose gay Marriage and Gallup Poll Link proves this to be true also. - Jeremiah

Mar 14, 2013 · ... NOM claims a majority of Americans oppose gay marriage. ... marriage, the overwhelming majority voted ... Against Gays? Increasing Support For Gay ...

"Surveys over the past 18 months have shown a majority of Americans support extending marriage rights to gay couples. During the last election cycle, voters in three states legalized such unions and Minnesotans became the first to reject an amendment seeking to exclude gay couples from marriage."​

Majority of Americans Continue to Oppose Gay Marriage ... increasingly likely to believe that the law should not discriminate against gay individuals and gay ...

>>>>
So some misguided idiots think gay marriage is ok, and I'm supposed to accept that?
Sorry that duck don't fly.

>>>>
So some misguided idiots think gay marriage is ok, and I'm supposed to accept that?

You're free to think whatever you like.

And once gay marriage is the law of the land, you're free to "accept" it or not. Matters little what you think, because the majority will have made it law.

According to colonial records, the first slave owner in the United States was a black man.

By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

The popular opinion regarding slavery in the United States is that it was a simple matter of racial oppression of blacks by whites. However, the presence of black slaveholders in North America prior to the Civil War shows that slavery was not based solely on color but on economics. Black slave owners, for the most part, were complicities in support of the institution deriving from it wealth and privileges denied to other groups.

Unspoken Reality: Black Slaveholders Prior to the Civil War

Listen, you know as well as me that it was the White Americans who controlled and perpetuated a grand majority of the US slave trade, period. Blacks couldn't even vote in the US at this time!

Don't be a moron.

Well duh, if you look at a small percentage of the trans-atlantic slave trade, that percentage ending up here then you can say that it was white Americans that controlled it.

Myth: Most slaves were imported into what is now the United States
Fact: Well over 90 percent of slaves from Africa were imported into the Caribbean and South America

Myth: Slavery is a product of capitalism.
Fact: Slavery is older than the first human records.

Myth: Slavery is a product of Western Civilization.
Fact: Slavery is virtually a universal institution.

Myth: Slavery in the non-western world was a mild, benign, and non-economic institution.
Fact: Slaves were always subject to torture, sexual exploitation, and arbitrary death.

Myth: Slavery was an economically backward and inefficient institution.
Fact: Many of the most progressive societies in the world had slaves.

Myth: Slavery was always based on race.
Fact: Not until the 15th century was slavery associated primarily with people of African descent.

Myth: Europeans physically enslaved Africans or hired mercenaries who captured people for export or that African rulers were "Holocaust abettors" who were themselves to blame for the slave trade.
Fact: Europeans did engage in some slave raiding; the majority of people who were transported to the Americas were enslaved by Africans in Africa.

Myth: Many slaves were captured with nets.
Fact: There is no evidence that slaves were captured with nets; war was the most important source of enslavement.

Myth: Kidnapping was the usual means of enslavement.
Fact: War was the most important source of enslavement; it would be incorrect to reduce all of these wars to slave raids.

Myth: The slave trade permanently broke slaves' bonds with Africa.
Fact: Slaves were able to draw upon their African cultural background and experiences and use them as a basis for life in the New World.

Myth: Plantation life with its harsh labor, unstable families, and high mortality, made it difficult for Africans to construct social ties
Fact: African nations persisted in America well into the 18th century and even the early 19th century.

Myth: Masters assigned names to slaves or slaves imitated masters' systems of naming.
Fact: In fact, slaves were rarely named for owners. Naming patterns appear to have reflected African practices, such as the custom of giving children "day names" (after the day they were born) and "name-saking," such as naming children after grandparents.

Myth: Slaveholders sought to deculturate slaves by forbidding African names and languages and obliterating African culture.
Fact: While deculturation was part of the "project" of slavery, in fact African music, dance, decoration, design, cuisine, and religion exerted a profound, ongoing influence on American culture.
Fact: Slaves adapted religious rites and perpetuated a rich tradition of folklore.

Source

Lonestar- what is the point you're trying to make, exactly? None of these point discredit anything that I was saying.

I don't care how the slaves were captured, how long slavery existed prior, whether or not so called "progressive societies" condoned slavery.

All I care about is that in 1850 (in America) it was legal for a White man to "own" another human being, and force him to work for life without pay simply because the man's skin was black.

Blacks were worked to death, raped, beaten, and treated like animals.

Nowadays, that atrocity no longer exists, so we (as a result) are a much more progressive, moral, and ethical society.

Do you agree or disagree with that?

You can accept or reject as you see fit. But by every metric, acceptance of homosexuals and support for Same-sex Civil Marriage is on the rise as a function of population. In the early part of the 2000's initiatives/referendums/amendments conducted during general elections passed with margins of victory of (IIRC) 23-76%. By 2008/2009 initiatives in general elections were down to passing where less than a 3% shift in voting results would have changed the outcome (California Prop 8, Maine Question 1). In 2012 Same-sex Civil Marriage questions were on the general election ballot in 4 states and won in all 4 (3 approving SSCM directly and the 4th rejecting an Amendment to bar it).

Not only to the opinion polls show the change, voter reactions in the ballot boxes during general elections also reflect the change in attitudes.

>>>>

>>>>

And once gay marriage is the law of the land, you're free to "accept" it or not. Matters little what you think, because the majority will have made it law.

First you better be more concerned with the civil war that is coming.
Between this and the gun issue there is a tender box

So slavery was a good thing in your deluded little world?

Did I say that slavery was a good thing?

No, I didn't.

Excuse me gentlemen - but what has any of this got to do with gay marriage?

Nothing.

However, something was written about slavery that I felt needed to be addressed. So many people are ignorant on the subject and only knows what the public educational system has taught them.

There it is......the "homosexuals = pedophiles" argument.

Please. There are far more heterosexuals that are pedophiles than gays. There are far more heterosexual deviants of all kinds (rapists, murderers, sadists, etc...) than there are deviant gays. Don't get me started.

If a man molests young boys, he's not a heterosexual.

Yeah....that's more......

eusa_doh.gif

Stupid Fuckin' Teabaggers

You can accept or reject as you see fit. But by every metric, acceptance of homosexuals and support for Same-sex Civil Marriage is on the rise as a function of population. In the early part of the 2000's initiatives/referendums/amendments conducted during general elections passed with margins of victory of (IIRC) 23-76%. By 2008/2009 initiatives in general elections were down to passing where less than a 3% shift in voting results would have changed the outcome (California Prop 8, Maine Question 1). In 2012 Same-sex Civil Marriage questions were on the general election ballot in 4 states and won in all 4 (3 approving SSCM directly and the 4th rejecting an Amendment to bar it).

Not only to the opinion polls show the change, voter reactions in the ballot boxes during general elections also reflect the change in attitudes.

>>>>

California Prop 8? Did some circuit court judge over rule the majority of the people?
North Carolina Amendment 1 passed with a strong majority.

First you better be more concerned with the civil war that is coming.
Between this and the gun issue there is a tender box

Ah, the civil war porn that you fringe right wingers masturbate to. :lol:

Look pal, I'm in the Army, deployed three time, the whole nine. If there is some revolt and you summon up the balls to crawl out of your trailer, worried is about the last thing I'll be when I take you out.

Forum List

Back