Romney's Bain Lie

I am seriously dumbfounded that you guys would be making this stupid argument about when Romney left Bain when it's PUBLIC RECORD that He ran the 2002 SLC Olympic games from 1999-2002. You people are seriously trying to argue that not only did he spend 12-16 hours a day saving the Olympics, he somehow managed to run a major business at the same time?

I mean, I know Romney's leadership skills are amazing, but this claim is downright ridiculous. And if it was true that he managed to run both at the same time, then he is far more qualified to be President of the United States than Obama ever will be.

So this is seriously going to be your argument? Then thank you. Because you guys are ensuring that Romney wins the Presidency with this nonsense.

Then why is there a record of him going back to Boston to take care of Bain business, as well as a record of phone calls when he couldn't travel?

Sounds like he was running something to me.

Funny, there was a hearing when Romney wanted to run for governor that specifically found that Romney had no ties to any Bain business. In fact, back then the Democrats specifically argued that he had no real ties to Bain, and Romney even admitted it himself.

What, exactly, makes you think he was running anything now when your side specifically said he wasn't then?

I always thought that you were a GOP wingnut conspiracy theorist.

The link you've given proves it.

You obviously did not read the link, which actually argues that the income came from a trust that Obama has no control over. Not sure how that makes me the crazy person here, but I bet you can't explain it either.

Actually..................you posted a blog from a site called the Volokh Conspiracy after providing a really amusing video of you actually Googling something.

Nice try, but fail. Arguing from a blog that has cherry picked bullshit bores me. Especially when the site has the word "conspiracy" in it's title.

Got any real links from an actual news site?

I thought not..........................kinda like you right wing idiots claiming that Obama's trip to India cost 200 million per day with 35 Navy warships following.

Utter bullshit.

I am seriously dumbfounded that you guys would be making this stupid argument about when Romney left Bain when it's PUBLIC RECORD that He ran the 2002 SLC Olympic games from 1999-2002. You people are seriously trying to argue that not only did he spend 12-16 hours a day saving the Olympics, he somehow managed to run a major business at the same time?

I mean, I know Romney's leadership skills are amazing, but this claim is downright ridiculous. And if it was true that he managed to run both at the same time, then he is far more qualified to be President of the United States than Obama ever will be.

So this is seriously going to be your argument? Then thank you. Because you guys are ensuring that Romney wins the Presidency with this nonsense.

Then why is there a record of him going back to Boston to take care of Bain business, as well as a record of phone calls when he couldn't travel?

Funny, there was a hearing when Romney wanted to run for governor that specifically found that Romney had no ties to any Bain business. In fact, back then the Democrats specifically argued that he had no real ties to Bain, and Romney even admitted it himself.

What, exactly, makes you think he was running anything now when your side specifically said he wasn't then?

What exactly, according to you, makes something "my side"?

Me? I'm looking at what he'd signed in 2002, as well as what he's said on the campaign trail.

One of two choices on this one..............either he's committed a felony by signing paperwork that is in error (he was head of the company in 2002), or, he's been lying to the American people about his actual connections with Bain because he wants to get elected.

Either he's a person committing a felony, or, he's been lying to the American people about his Bain connections.

Either way........................he's fucked.

I always thought that you were a GOP wingnut conspiracy theorist.

The link you've given proves it.

You obviously did not read the link, which actually argues that the income came from a trust that Obama has no control over. Not sure how that makes me the crazy person here, but I bet you can't explain it either.

Actually..................you posted a blog from a site called the Volokh Conspiracy after providing a really amusing video of you actually Googling something.

Nice try, but fail. Arguing from a blog that has cherry picked bullshit bores me. Especially when the site has the word "conspiracy" in it's title.

Got any real links from an actual news site?

I thought not..........................kinda like you right wing idiots claiming that Obama's trip to India cost 200 million per day with 35 Navy warships following.

Utter bullshit.

Apparently PoliticalChick is unaware that Obama's tax returns have been released to the public. The blog you are so causally dismissing has actual links to the returns, and explanations and analysis of the various taxes and filings by a group of tax experts.

If Obama's actual returns are utter bullshit why is he attacking Romney?

What exactly, according to you, makes something "my side"?

Me? I'm looking at what he'd signed in 2002, as well as what he's said on the campaign trail.

One of two choices on this one..............either he's committed a felony by signing paperwork that is in error (he was head of the company in 2002), or, he's been lying to the American people about his actual connections with Bain because he wants to get elected.

Either he's a person committing a felony, or, he's been lying to the American people about his Bain connections.

Either way........................he's fucked.

Are you not arguing that Romney lied? That makes your side the same as that of the other conspiracy nuts that are ignoring the major news organizations that have all came out and said there is nothing there. Believing this stuff puts you on the credibility level of birthers and truthers.

If Romney didn't lie, then why did Bain continue to pay him until 2002?

Face it...............you hate it when you're shown to be wrong.

And like I said, your link isn't for shit.

Mitt Romney stayed at Bain three years longer than he claimed: As we’ve previously noted, Mitt Romney twice told the Government Ethics Office that he left Bain Capital in February 1999, but there has been plenty of evidence suggesting otherwise. When he left Bain is a critical question, both because a different date than the one he claimed could mean he lied on official forms, and also because Romney has used the early departure date to insulate himself from attacks on Bain’s practices during the early 2000s.

But the Boston Globe reports today that Romney stayed on a full three years longer at Bain than he has claimed. Securities and Exchange Commission documents filed the in the years after 1999 list Romney as the “sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president” of Bain. And a Massachusetts financial disclosure form Romney filed in 2003 states that he still owned 100 percent of Bain Capital in 2002.

Romney’s Bain lie - Salon.com

Debunked. You embarrassed yet?

btw, I know a handful of people that worked on the Vancouver Olympics, more than 60 hours a week, and they didn't ignore and or pretend they weren't involved with the companies they own.

Mitt can't chew gum and ride a horse. :lol:

No. You don't. But even if you did, those "friends" didn't leave their companies to RUN the Olympics, you hack.

Correct. They didn't leave their companies. They basically lived in Vancouver, worked 80 hours a week on the temporary gig and their real job all at the same time.

Last edited:
I don't care. I don't care about someone's college transcripts, or their birth certificate, or their tax returns.

Have they broken the law? If not, why the f*** does it matter? It's private. Let it be.
It matters when they take advantage of a system gamed to benefit the wealthy, especially when bragging to be a "job creator." It also matters if they claim they had nothing to do with a company that had them on the payroll.

Why shouldn't he take advantage of tax breaks? Most people do. Saying he shouldn't take advantage of tax breaks that is readily available to him is about as nonsensical as conservatives saying that if liberals want to raise taxes, they should voluntarily send money to the Treasury and not force everyone to pay. Same coin, different sides.

You realize that his tax return is irrelevant to determining his involvement in Bain, right? He would continue to receive partnership distributions from carried interest from past funds and profits from the management company whether or not he was actively involved. This was investigated when he ran for governor in MA. This whole "Was he running Bain" garbage reminds me of the birfers demanding to see Obama's birth certificate years after it was certified.
If it doesn't matter, why is Mitt reluctant to release his tax returns?

From what I understand, he wasn't just getting distributions, he was being paid a salary of $100,000 a year. While he "wasn't there" doing anything to earn a salary.

When he ran for governor is when he used his Bain tenure as proof that he really "was there" in MA and therefore qualified to run for governor.

That wasn't name calling. I think the birther stuff is BS. Way to assume things though. I have said repeatedly that I want him to release the exact same tax returns every other person running for President has released. Even members of his own party are asking for this. What am I hoping to learn? More about Romney's finances and how he handles his money. Kind of important if you are running for President. Heck, I don't even care about his paperwork from college just like I don't care about Obama's. That's hardly hypocritical.

Nice dodge.

Let me repeat the question, what exactly are you hoping to find? The only thing his tax returns can tell you is how much money he made and how much tax he paid, NONE of which is germane to the discussion. It won't prove or disprove the accusations of the Left, it will simply give you more ammunition for your 'class warfare' exercise.

And I want BoiKing to release his college records, just like "every other person running for President has..."

I notice you slipped in that 'has to' in your sentence that I quoted. Care to point out the law that says ANY candidate 'has to' release ANY tax returns?

Corrected my post to say has released. I told you what I'm hoping to find in the tax returns already. I also want to know why he released 23 years to the McCain campaign when they vetted him in 2008 but has never released them during his run for Gov. of MA, the MA Senate race, or his 2008 Presidential run and only released a year when under pressure during the primaries. There is obviously something there that compromises something he already said and he thinks the political risks are too great. Obviously, I want to know what this is.

Wink - YouTube

Very simple.

Romney represents capital's desire for the higher returns through cheaper labor costs.

Read your uncle Milty. Capital does not care about externalities like patriotism or morality; if it can get higher returns stabbing the American worker in the back in favor of sweatshop labor, than so be it.

The point of Bain Capital is to destroy American jobs in order to get higher returns for investors who benefit by cheapest labor costs.

The story of postwar capitalism is the story of how the New Deal Democrats made sure we had high paying American jobs. The story of post Reagan capitalism is the story of how companies like Bain created massive profits for the elite by shipping American jobs to freedom-hating sweatshop nations.

The American private sector gets tax cuts on the promise that it will create American jobs. Then it uses those tax cuts to buy politicians who create the legal framework for destroying American jobs so an elite group of investors can benefit from cheap labor.

Mitt Romney represents an elite private sector in its war against American labor.

Guess what the private sector does with the extra profits it makes from not having to pay first world labor costs? It invests those profits into Republican talk radio ... which covers up the reality of who got rid of America's manufacturing base, and why.

...hence the conclusion at the end of the "Firms" ad, stating that Mitt Romney is part of the problem.

Anything to keep the subject off the economy. In the end, most don't care about Romney and Bain. It only shows his success as a businessman, as one would expect him to be, instead of a community agitator.

That ship sailed a short time ago. We're looking at the bigger picture now. It isn't any prettier, either.

Can we talk about the economy (and how bad it sucks) now ?

Sure we can...

but the question is why does it suck?

Does it suck because Obama waived his Hopey-Changy wand and nothing happened?

or does it suck because Romney and his sort have been waging a decades long war on the middle class?

Great questions....but incomplete.

There might be lots of other potential answers.

And once you have identified the issue....you can work on solutions.

Right now, Obama's issue is Booooosssssshhhhhhh. Seems if we brought GWB back and shot him, all our problems would be saved. I mean, he does somehow control it all.

Obama sure acts like he is a helpless little twit.

I think pointing out that before he got there, we had the worst economic crash since 1929 is a valid point.

There are a lot of factors. One of them is that the states listened to the Austerity stupidity and cut payrolls. If the states retained people, unemployment would be down to 7%, but the problem was that for every new job the private sector created, state governments cut one.

The second problem is that we need to finally admit that Free Trade was a huge mistake, but no one on either side is willing to say that openly yet.

The thing is, I don't see the Weird Mormon Robot as having any solutions. He certainly didn't have any when he was governor of Massachusetts.

It matters when they take advantage of a system gamed to benefit the wealthy, especially when bragging to be a "job creator." It also matters if they claim they had nothing to do with a company that had them on the payroll.

Why shouldn't he take advantage of tax breaks? Most people do. Saying he shouldn't take advantage of tax breaks that is readily available to him is about as nonsensical as conservatives saying that if liberals want to raise taxes, they should voluntarily send money to the Treasury and not force everyone to pay. Same coin, different sides.

You realize that his tax return is irrelevant to determining his involvement in Bain, right? He would continue to receive partnership distributions from carried interest from past funds and profits from the management company whether or not he was actively involved. This was investigated when he ran for governor in MA. This whole "Was he running Bain" garbage reminds me of the birfers demanding to see Obama's birth certificate years after it was certified.
If it doesn't matter, why is Mitt reluctant to release his tax returns?

From what I understand, he wasn't just getting distributions, he was being paid a salary of $100,000 a year. While he "wasn't there" doing anything to earn a salary.

When he ran for governor is when he used his Bain tenure as proof that he really "was there" in MA and therefore qualified to run for governor.

Romney was listed as the CEO but that doesn't mean he was actively involved. That may sound weird to people, but in financial industry general partnerships, that's not uncommon. Founders often receive compensation long after they've either left or are at the firm but aren't doing much productive. In limited liability corporations, people receive stock they hold on to and can sell at later times. In general partnerships in the financial industry, they usually don't.

My guess why he is reluctant to release his tax returns is because it will show that he used offshore tax structures to avoid - legally - paying taxes, maybe some that the IRS has since ruled against. The IRS used to allow carried interest held offshore to be deferred until brought onshore. They disallowed that in the mid-OOs. He probably also had some tax swaps which deferred paying taxes which he no longer uses. All that stuff used to be common.

Romney was listed as the CEO but that doesn't mean he was actively involved. That may sound weird to people, but in financial industry general partnerships, that's not uncommon. Founders often receive compensation long after they've either left or are at the firm but aren't doing much productive. In limited liability corporations, people receive stock they hold on to and can sell at later times. In general partnerships in the financial industry, they usually don't.

My guess why he is reluctant to release his tax returns is because it will show that he used offshore tax structures to avoid - legally - paying taxes, maybe some that the IRS has since ruled against. The IRS used to allow carried interest held offshore to be deferred until brought onshore. They disallowed that in the mid-OOs. He probably also had some tax swaps which deferred paying taxes which he no longer uses. All that stuff used to be common.

Well, gee, so you support a guy who doesn't want to let the little people know how he gamed the system to not pay his fair share while they struggle to make ends meet.

This is the guy you support, someone who isn't being honest with us, pretty much.

(Waiting for Toro's usual whine about Mormons and hate.)

Forum List

Back