Russia Caves In: Pressures Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

Well, for the obamahaters, it's like a game of 21. But in reality, no hearts or minds were won on Assad gassing people. Assad seems to be on a charm offensive. Perhaps its in connection with ongoing ruskie "efforts" at mediating. The US has said Assad must go, but of course that's not happening ... unless we're willing alter the status quo and directly assist the terrorists, which we won't do. Perhaps Assad is willing to give the terrorists some land.

Oh fuck off. You are so desperate to hand Syria over to the AQ it's nauseating.

Just stop ok.

You fuck up everything. Only Egypt finally went fuck you America and got back to being real throwing out Morsi.

Look how many ME countries can you just hand over to radicals? Seriously. Fix some pot holes, fix your budget and just go away.

A win for Obama?

More like ol' Vladimir outflanking Obama - pouncing on Kerry's remarks - and pinning the Obama Administration to the wall... here... we can help you to achieve such International Control... now, will you stop your attack?

If this was a game of chess, Putin may have check-mated our Fearless Leader...

There's always the possibility that this was scripted between the two, but, I seriously doubt that...

Kerry offered a way out and Putin and Assad jumped at it

Did John Kerry just stumble on a resolution to the crisis in Syria? - The Week

I look forward to the UN having all of Assad's chemical weapons under lock and key in 5 1/2 more days. If not, they could be subject to and "unbelievably small' attack according to John Kerry.

Asked at a news conference if there was anything Syrian President Bashar al-Assad could do to prevent a U.S. strike, Secretary of State John Kerry responded, "Sure, he could turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week — turn it over, all of it, without delay and allow the full and total accounting."

It seems like a win on all sides. Those who disagreed with striking don't have to see it happen, Obama can save face against a majority that opposed his idea, and the Syrians don't get bombed. Why is there even an argument over this?

No argument. Obama looks like an asshole. I'm happy.

It would not have looked so bad for Kerry if the state department had not almost immediately come out and said Kerry's remark was rhetorical and he didn't mean it.

It looks like President Putin is trying to lead the US out of the problems that obama created. NOW let obama try to sell a strike. His planned speech has been cut off at the neck.

So?

If they hand over the weapons, who needs a strike?

Yes you've grasped the point of: NOW let obama try to sell a strike.

You presuppose Obama really wanted a strike. I suspect he did not, but did not see how he could avoid one, after stupidly "drawing a red line" to "appease" McClusterfk. Then, when the GOP suddenly turned isolationist, he found he's painted himself into a corner, so he cut a hole in the wall by saying he'd defer to congress.

Russia sees a chance to earn cheap intl "rep," and at the same time give obama face saving and detract from the "cost" of Snowden.

It would not have looked so bad for Kerry if the state department had not almost immediately come out and said Kerry's remark was rhetorical and he didn't mean it.

It looks like President Putin is trying to lead the US out of the problems that obama created. NOW let obama try to sell a strike. His planned speech has been cut off at the neck.

So?

remember when iraq handed over monitoring of their nuke program to the UN? how did that all work out?

Very well...Iraq did not have nukes

It seems like a win on all sides. Those who disagreed with striking don't have to see it happen, Obama can save face against a majority that opposed his idea, and the Syrians don't get bombed. Why is there even an argument over this?

It looks a bit like Assad would got a free pass if he actually gassed his people in violation of an International norm.

Russia Caves In: Pressures Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

President Obama wins again!

That's funny. This is a total win for Russia. Iran is tied to the Syrian government because they are both Shiite, Russia is tied to the Iranians for weapons sales, oil and commerce, the last thing they want is a war.

The Russians averting toppling Assad is totally what they want. That they "caved" by getting what they long for is ridiculous.

A win for Obama?

More like ol' Vladimir outflanking Obama - pouncing on Kerry's remarks - and pinning the Obama Administration to the wall... here... we can help you to achieve such International Control... now, will you stop your attack?

If this was a game of chess, Putin may have check-mated our Fearless Leader...

There's always the possibility that this was scripted between the two, but, I seriously doubt that...

Kerry offered a way out and Putin and Assad jumped at it

Did John Kerry just stumble on a resolution to the crisis in Syria? - The Week

I look forward to the UN having all of Assad's chemical weapons under lock and key in 5 1/2 more days. If not, they could be subject to and "unbelievably small' attack according to John Kerry.

Asked at a news conference if there was anything Syrian President Bashar al-Assad could do to prevent a U.S. strike, Secretary of State John Kerry responded, "Sure, he could turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week — turn it over, all of it, without delay and allow the full and total accounting."

Kerry needs to be seriously internationally punched out.

The man is a douche bag on a continuous rag. Sadly empowered now.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
So?

Yes you've grasped the point of: NOW let obama try to sell a strike.

You presuppose Obama really wanted a strike. I suspect he did not, but did not see how he could avoid one, after stupidly "drawing a red line" to "appease" McClusterfk. Then, when the GOP suddenly turned isolationist, he found he's painted himself into a corner, so he cut a hole in the wall by saying he'd defer to congress.

Russia sees a chance to earn cheap intl "rep," and at the same time give obama face saving and detract from the "cost" of Snowden.

Again...looks like a peaceful resolution to an international crisis

Why would anyone complain?

So?

remember when iraq handed over monitoring of their nuke program to the UN? how did that all work out?

Very well...Iraq did not have nukes

but they MIGHT have. El-Baradi and the entire world MIGHT have been wrong. So, where'd we be then? Screwed! We'd be glowing in the dark right now! Sure, Bushii looked like a total id-get looking under his desk for WOMD. But, you can't be too careful. It's like when they tell you a colonoscopy once ever ten years. HAH! How about year three, or seven. We neocons get them every year, and even then we worry.

So?

Exactly. With the amout of opposition in the US now, how hard will it be for obama to sell a strike? Try impossible. And who exercised the leadership to present the peaceful option? I just saw Ban Ki Moon endorse the Russian option making obama look like a wild barbarian.

President Putin has delivered a fatal blow to obama's authority and credibility.

It looks a bit like Assad would got a free pass if he actually gassed his people in violation of an International norm.

No the rebels got a free pass because they didn't read the International Law governing the use of Chemical Weapons.

I still find it so fascinating that the Saudi Prince who is financially backing the rebels was able to whisk away so called victims of this attack to Britain ever so quickly to be tested for Sarin.

Really interesting.

So?

Exactly. With the amout of opposition in the US now, how hard will it be for obama to sell a strike? Try impossible. And who exercised the leadership to present the peaceful option? I just saw Ban Ki Moon endorse the Russian option making obama look like a wild barbarian.

President Putin has delivered a fatal blow to obama's authority and credibility.

Can you believe this? I backed Putin and Moon over the US. Because it was the right thing to do.

I still can't believe it though. Aye carumba what have we come to?

President Obama wins again!

Russia To Push Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

MOSCOW — Syria on Monday quickly welcomed a call from Russia, its close ally, to place Syrian chemical arsenals under international control, then destroy them to avert a U.S. strike, but did not offer a time frame or any other specifics.

The statement by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem appeared to mark the first official acknowledgement by Damascus that it possesses chemical weapons and reflected what appeared to be an attempt by Syrian President Bashar Assad to avoid the U.S. military attack.

Vlad called to thank me for my OP of last week...I may get hero of Russia medal if all goes right.

True. Guess I should have said it's a win for everybody, but the rebels, and people of Syria.

Forum List

Back