Russia Caves In: Pressures Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

"...Who was outflanked?..."
It is possible that Obama and we (the US) were outflanked...

If Kerry's remarks were not scripted in advance, but extempore...

And if Putin and Co. jumped on those remarks in a heartbeat...

And if they convince Assad to give-it-up...

And if they thereby defuse the situation by removing the previously-declared casus belli...

Then the Russians, and Vlad, will be perceived by the International Community (including many of our friends and allies) as the more peaceful and rational of the two countries...

That amounts to an 'outflanking' on the Public Relations front by any sane gauge that I am aware of...

and we didn't invade then right? Saddam played a nice little game and cost the US billions and many lives. but at least he didn't have nukes right?

It was our own stupidity that led to the invasion

So kind of like our own stupidity if we let the moron in charge lead us into another invasion right?

A lot of us weren't savvy then. I know I never really got good on boards till the early 2000's.

I was still buying in back then.

And if they thereby defuse the situation by removing the previously-declared casus belli...

Then the Russians, and Vlad, will be perceived by the International Community (including many of our friends and allies) as the more peaceful and rational of the two countries...

That amounts to an 'outflanking' on the Public Relations front by any sane gauge that I am aware of...

Who cares?

We get more than what we wanted without firing a shot. Let Russia get some good PR, it is about time they did something with Syria. Let US play bad cop in a good cop/bad cop game.

End result is a win. What do we lose?

Last edited:

Putin said in no uncertain terms that if the US would strike Syria he was going to arm Assad to the teeth.

Now kidrocks of course is lying his ass off in his OP but what else is new? The bottom line was Putin told Obama..............make my day

what we learned here -

Obama does not have the support of the people he represents.

What the international community, Russia included learned here -

Obama does not have the support of the people he represents

What Obama learned here -

He does not have the support of the people he represents
He does not have the support of the international community

What was learned here is...

You were completely wrong, and now you have egg on your face. :eusa_whistle:

Who cares?

We get more than what we wanted without firing a shot. Let Russia get some good PR, it is about time they did something with Syria. Let US play bad cop in a good cop/bad cop game.

End result is a win

You actually think you come out of this looking good? Now I am thrilled to death that your assassinator President isn't going to bomb Syrian innocents out of ego.

But you really think you are coming out of this looking good?

Geeze louise.

OK, for the mentally defective here let's review what happened:

Kerry mumbled something about turning CW over. Putin saw an opportunity and offered himself as the honest broker.
Now, Putin is anything but honest. He is an ex head of the KGB. An honest person does not get that position.

So Assad is spared a strike by the U.S., which Obama could not sell to the Americans, much less our allies. Assad gets to stay in power and kill off rebels trying to oust him. Russia gets to cement a relationship--a profitable one btw since he's selling arms to Assad--with Syria. No actual weapons will change hands. When CW are used again Assad will blame the rebels, and have even more credibility since he "turned them over to the Russians." Assad suffers not at all for using CW. Obama looks like an impotent fool who needs the Russians to save him from his own folly. Russia looks like the peacemaker and asserts its influence in the region.

So who wins here? Obama? No, he failed to achieve any of his objectives. Assad is in power with CW with no penalty for using them. All of those were announced objectives of this administration.

Who cares?

End result is a win. What do we lose?

Why didn't Kerry simply ask Syria to surrender their Chemical Weapons?

:lol:

what we learned here -

Obama does not have the support of the people he represents.

What the international community, Russia included learned here -

Obama does not have the support of the people he represents

What Obama learned here -

He does not have the support of the people he represents
He does not have the support of the international community

What was learned here is...

You were completely wrong, and now you have egg on your face. :eusa_whistle:

Obama is the fool oh my.

You really don't get it. Putin said point blank before the G20 broke up he was going to arm Assad to the teeth.

Did you miss that?

Consequently your President said *cough * he wouldn't bomb Syria.

And an agreement was reached.

So?

If they hand over the weapons, who needs a strike?

Exactly. With the amout of opposition in the US now, how hard will it be for obama to sell a strike? Try impossible. And who exercised the leadership to present the peaceful option? I just saw Ban Ki Moon endorse the Russian option making obama look like a wild barbarian.

President Putin has delivered a fatal blow to obama's authority and credibility.

Can you believe this? I backed Putin and Moon over the US. Because it was the right thing to do.

I still can't believe it though. Aye carumba what have we come to?

Can they shove it down obama's throat and make him choke in it?

Yes you've grasped the point of: NOW let obama try to sell a strike.

You presuppose Obama really wanted a strike. I suspect he did not, but did not see how he could avoid one, after stupidly "drawing a red line" to "appease" McClusterfk. Then, when the GOP suddenly turned isolationist, he found he's painted himself into a corner, so he cut a hole in the wall by saying he'd defer to congress.

Russia sees a chance to earn cheap intl "rep," and at the same time give obama face saving and detract from the "cost" of Snowden.

Again...looks like a peaceful resolution to an international crisis

Why would anyone complain?

no idea

So kind of like our own stupidity if we let the moron in charge lead us into another invasion right?

A lot of us weren't savvy then. I know I never really got good on boards till the early 2000's.

I was still buying in back then.

By "good on boards" I assume you mean using a sexier avatar.

:eusa_shifty:

I thought all my avatars were...............hey wait a minute..........

cute. :eusa_angel:

Only one is me.

President Obama wins again!

Russia To Push Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

MOSCOW — Syria on Monday quickly welcomed a call from Russia, its close ally, to place Syrian chemical arsenals under international control, then destroy them to avert a U.S. strike, but did not offer a time frame or any other specifics.

The statement by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem appeared to mark the first official acknowledgement by Damascus that it possesses chemical weapons and reflected what appeared to be an attempt by Syrian President Bashar Assad to avoid the U.S. military attack.

I wonder why people would say that they "caved in", instead of the fact that they actually proposed a diplomatic solution that sadly, Our current administration seems not to be in favor of.

Russia Caves In: Pressures Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

That's funny. This is a total win for Russia. Iran is tied to the Syrian government because they are both Shiite, Russia is tied to the Iranians for weapons sales, oil and commerce, the last thing they want is a war.

The Russians averting toppling Assad is totally what they want. That they "caved" by getting what they long for is ridiculous.

Putin has been exposed as a paper-tiger as his puppet Assad also. Thank you President Obama for that.

Russia To Push Syria To Put Chemical Weapons Under International Control

MOSCOW — Syria on Monday quickly welcomed a call from Russia, its close ally, to place Syrian chemical arsenals under international control, then destroy them to avert a U.S. strike, but did not offer a time frame or any other specifics.

The statement by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem appeared to mark the first official acknowledgement by Damascus that it possesses chemical weapons and reflected what appeared to be an attempt by Syrian President Bashar Assad to avoid the U.S. military attack.
I wonder why people would say that they "caved in", instead of the fact that they actually proposed a diplomatic solution that sadly, Our current administration seems not to be in favor of.

You have Team Obama here PO. They don't have a clue but they are cheerleaders.

It's the way of today I suppose.Kid rocks is pathetic but that's your todays progressive.

"...Who cares?..."
A lot of people care, I'll wager; ones who don't relish the thought of being obliged to send a 'Thank You' note to the Russian leader for saving the world from our OWN Leader's fumbling... it's embarrassing...

We're all gonna have to sent thanks to Putin. It's humilitating. I weep.

Obama's a walking statute, though. He's bored. They should have just let him run with Hillary and then retire.

Forum List

Back