Russia has sent advanced antiship cruise missiles to Syria

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Democrats preparing excuses...

-------------------------:eusa_hand:

WASHINGTON — Russia has sent advanced antiship cruise missiles to Syria, a move that illustrates the depth of its support for the Syrian government led by President Bashar al-Assad, American officials said Thursday.

Russia has previously provided a version of the missiles, called Yakhonts, to Syria. But those delivered recently are outfitted with an advanced radar that makes them more effective, according to American officials who are familiar with classified intelligence reports and would only discuss the shipment on the basis of anonymity.

Unlike Scud and other longer-range surface-to-surface missiles that the Assad government has used against opposition forces, the Yakhont antiship missile system provides the Syrian military a formidable weapon to counter any effort by international forces to reinforce Syrian opposition fighters by imposing a naval embargo, establishing a no-fly zone or carrying out limited airstrikes.

“It enables the regime to deter foreign forces looking to supply the opposition from the sea, or from undertaking a more active role if a no-fly zone or shipping embargo were to be declared at some point,” said Nick Brown, editor in chief of IHS Jane’s International Defense Review. “It’s a real ship killer.”

Jeffrey White, a fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and a former senior American intelligence official, said Syria’s strengthened arsenal would “tend to push Western or allied naval activity further off the coast” and was also “a signal of the Russian commitment to the Syrian government.”

The disclosure of the delivery comes as Russia and the United States are planning to convene an international conference that is aimed at ending the brutal conflict in Syria, which has killed more than 70,000. That conference is expected to be held in early June and to include representatives of the Assad government and the Syrian opposition.

Secretary of State John Kerry has repeatedly said that it is the United States’ hope to change Mr. Assad’s “calculations” about his ability to hold on to power so that he will allow negotiations for a political solution to the conflict. Mr. Kerry indicated that he had raised the issue of Russian arms deliveries to Syria during his recent visit to Moscow, but declined to provide details.

“I think we’ve made it crystal clear we would prefer that Russia was not supplying assistance,” he said. “That hasn’t changed.”

American officials have been concerned that the flow of Russian and Iranian arms to Syria will buttress Mr. Assad’s apparent belief that he can prevail militarily

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/w...th-advanced-missiles.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Okay well.. the fact that Putin rubbed his butt in Obama and Kerry's face kinda stinks but isn't really much of a surprise..:thanks:

This is terrible.
There is no excuse for it.
After all, America never sells arms to its friends.

I find this Russian/American comparison troubling but obviously apt under an Obama/Democrat regime...:eusa_pray:

SO, Obama's supposed to help the other side and then you say he's arming Al Qaeda. I see how this works. Double talk, just like Ben Ghazi.

SO, Obama's supposed to help the other side and then you say he's arming Al Qaeda. I see how this works. Double talk, just like Ben Ghazi.

Obama is quite popular with the Hezbollah, I suspect.

1. Isn't Al Qaeda part of the people that are fighting the Syrian government? He kind of is. :eek:
2. What's wrong with having a investigation of the death of 4 of our people in Lybia?

Nothing wrong with it except that the people doing it don't really care about the deaths. It's all just a political exercise by those that haven't come to terms with Obama's re-election.

American officials have been concerned that the flow of Russian and Iranian arms to Syria will buttress Mr. Assad’s apparent belief that he can prevail militarily

One wonders what it is about the wisdom of minding one's own business that seems to be disabled in people in politics?

Assad is the lawful ruler of some shit for brains country. His friends are helping him kill anti-American terrorists.

Pardon me for not seeing the problem.

One wonders what it is about the wisdom of minding one's own business that seems to be disabled in people in politics?

Assad is the lawful ruler of some shit for brains country. His friends are helping him kill anti-American terrorists.

You make a damn good point.:eusa_whistle:

It is a little like being on the Eastern Front in WW II. You had the choice of going with the Communists or the Nazis. :eek:

It is a little like being on the Eastern Front in WW II. You had the choice of going with the Communists or the Nazis. :eek:

What's wrong with Assad?

Forum List

Back