Sad day - Put my dog down.

He was sick and declining. It was the right thing to do but it hurts. My kids are really sad. Tough situation. Not sure why I am posting this here. Probably just therapeutic?

sigh……

I'm so very sorry, Azog. I know how you feel. It takes courage and real love to release a pet when the time comes.

I still mourn every fur baby I ever had. I miss them and love them like it's my very first day without them.

I look at it like a beloved pet's death is my obligation to save another life that, but for me would end too soon.

He was sick and declining. It was the right thing to do but it hurts. My kids are really sad. Tough situation. Not sure why I am posting this here. Probably just therapeutic?

sigh……
Watched this endlessly when it was my dog's time.

You saved him the pain of further decline. He'll love you in the long run for that.

You'll see him/her again....I am convinced of it.

I also love the rainbow bridge poem.....very consoling.

sigh……

Sorry for your loss.. They are such wonderful friends and companions and it is so cruel to lose them.

sigh……
It's hard to let a family member go-------but honestly I think they want to go when their time comes. I had to put my elderly lab down a couple of years ago. He barely made it to the car to go to the vet. It was an awful process watching him get worse and worse off. I took him to the vet promising to put him to sleep so he wouldn't suffer but I just couldn't do it and brought him back home with his conditioning worsening---I think he was mad at me for not ending the pain for him. He couldn't even walk outside by the next day. I wound up taking him back, and only then did he seem to forgive me. You just got to remember that your dog is no longer suffering and that releasing them from the pain is an act of love for everyone involved.

Even knowing you're going to end up grieving we still get new dogs.
Their short time with us brings more joy than the heart break of having them die. Yes they're that special.
I'm on my 8th Boxer and I cried like a baby after losing everyone of the last 6.
I find myself thinking that Gadsden and Betsy will probably be my last due to my age.
I find that sadder than knowing I'll die before I can raise a couple more of my four legged friends.

It's hard to let a family member go-------but honestly I think they want to go when their time comes. I had to put my elderly lab down a couple of years ago. He barely made it to the car to go to the vet. It was an awful process watching him get worse and worse off. I took him to the vet promising to put him to sleep so he wouldn't suffer but I just couldn't do it and brought him back home with his conditioning worsening---I think he was mad at me for not ending the pain for him. He couldn't even walk outside by the next day. I wound up taking him back, and only then did he seem to forgive me. You just got to remember that your dog is no longer suffering and that releasing them from the pain is an act of love for everyone involved.

I often wonder if my dog would be upset for ending his life.

Somehow I always get the feeling he loves me and understands my choice for him.

I so look forward to that rainbow bridge reunion.

AzogtheDefiler ....For most, the pain of loss disappears into the sweet memories of your time together.

I am sorry for your loss. But it isn't permanent.

Their short time with us brings more joy than the heart break of having them die. Yes they're that special.
I'm on my 8th Boxer and I cried like a baby after losing everyone of the last 6.
I find myself thinking that Gadsden and Betsy will probably be my last due to my age.
I find that sadder than knowing I'll die before I can raise a couple more of my four legged friends.

You have a lot of super friends waiting for you.

AzogtheDefiler ....For most, the pain of loss disappears into the sweet memories of your time together.

I've always waited to get new pups until the day comes that thinking of them makes me smile rather than being sad.

sigh……
You are posting it here because we all have been in that same boat. It sucks. It hurts. It's grief and you want to share it. I'm so sorry. I KNOW your pain.

Which is why I will not get another dog. When Karma died....so did I. I walk, talk, breathe, eat....but my spirit died with her. I'm too old to go thru that again, plus, I almost went with her. Almost. So very fucking close to doing it. Can't take the chance. So....I wait. I will see her again. Eventually.

But I sure miss having dogs.

Which is why I will not get another dog. When Karma died....so did I. I walk, talk, breathe, eat....but my spirit died with her. I'm too old to go thru that again, plus, I almost went with her. Almost. So very fucking close to doing it. Can't take the chance. So....I wait. I will see her again. Eventually.

I miss him terribly

You might consider fostering.

That is what I want to do.

((( I am very sorry to hear Azog, to all of us who love our dogs, cats and pets in general, we consider them part of our family, we love them dearly))):confused:

I have a little dog, a stray that showed up on my carport. I can't imagine life without her. She is my traveling companion. Her and I travel the country together in my 18 wheeler. Her territory stretches from California to Vermont. She's peed on seemingly every little clump of grass along the way.

I know it's damn hard to do what you did, but one thing you gotta be happy about. That was one happy dog, huh? You spoiled the shit out of that dog didn't you? That dog ran the show, not you. Be happy for every day you had with that crazy dog. Because now God's the one taking it for a walk and giving it treats.

My little girl was terrified. I could see it in her eyes. But she was suffering so much, her heart was failing, she struggled for every breath she was bleeding internally as every organ catastrophically failed. She was still afraid and all I could do was tell her how much I loved her.

Forum List

Back