Same bullshit, different decade: What members of the gay rights movement could learn from history

I believe that being gay is a sin and that gay people are both a cause and a symptom of the downfall of our nation. They are not normal and are an abomination. You telling me that this belief is not valid is just horrible! You are not tolerant of my beliefs. But...I don't hate gay people at all. I just hate their sin. I love gay people. I have gay friends. They know that I feel this way about them. They are tolerant of my beliefs and would never ask me to sacrifice my principles. That is true tolerance!
Replace the word 'gay' or 'homosexual' with 'thief', 'drunkard', 'idol worshiper' or 'adulterer' and the remarks carry the same weight.
Sin is sin is sin is sin....
I don't want a third to continue stealing or a drunkard to keep on drinking, etc....

But we've continually allowed these sins to seep into our day to day lives.
We just rebrand them to make them more palatable.
Drunkards are now alcoholics and, as such, have an illness.
Thieves get the psychobabble title of Cleptomaniacs.
Adultery is filed under sexual addiction.

But, for whatever reason, homosexuality gets a pass in the illness category. We just have to accept it.
Any objectional remarks are immediately reversed on to the person stating them as hateful and bigoted.

And people wonder why some of us think that they are seeking special protection

Because there's nothing wrong with being gay. It's not the same as being a drunkard or an adulterer.

Oh, poor dear...can't say mean things about gays or blacks or Jews anymore. Muslims...you can still be bigots to Muslims with relative immunity.
"Because there's nothing wrong with being gay"
That is the exact method of selling a lie.

I believe that being gay is a sin and that gay people are both a cause and a symptom of the downfall of our nation. They are not normal and are an abomination. You telling me that this belief is not valid is just horrible! You are not tolerant of my beliefs. But...I don't hate gay people at all. I just hate their sin. I love gay people. I have gay friends. They know that I feel this way about them. They are tolerant of my beliefs and would never ask me to sacrifice my principles. That is true tolerance!
Replace the word 'gay' or 'homosexual' with 'thief', 'drunkard', 'idol worshiper' or 'adulterer' and the remarks carry the same weight.

Except that they don't. If you steal, you take something from someone. If you cheat on your wife, you break a oath to her. If someone is gay.....no one loses anything.

Some things are wrong because they inherently take or cost. Somethings are 'wrong' because we say they are. Like....working on Sunday. Or having a cheeseburger. There's nothing inherently wrong with either act. Its 'wrongness' comes from cultural perception.

Where murder or theft or oath breaking is wrong because it costs someone else.

I don't want a third to continue stealing or a drunkard to keep on drinking, etc....

But, for whatever reason, homosexuality gets a pass in the illness category. We just have to accept it.
Any objectional remarks are immediately reversed on to the person stating them as hateful and bigoted.

Because there's nothing wrong with being gay. It's not the same as being a drunkard or an adulterer.

Oh, poor dear...can't say mean things about gays or blacks or Jews anymore. Muslims...you can still be bigots to Muslims with relative immunity.

Or stating a simple truth. That you feel otherwise doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with you is 'lying'.

Or stating a simple truth. That you feel otherwise doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with you is 'lying'.
But can you say that, because you don't agree with me, I am not a bigot?

We certainly disagree. As I'm not hamstrung with your assumptions, I can assess the intention and the harm caused by any given action and glean its morality accordingly. Stealing and oathbreaking cause harm to other people. Homosexuality doesn't.

If a gay couple gets married......nothing happens to you. You're simply unaffected. If a gay couple stole from you, you lose property. And you're most definitely effected.

So the first act wouldn't be immoral or a 'sin' because it causes no harm nor is intended to. While the second is an intentional act to take from you. And would qualify in my opinion.

Yet a 'thief', 'drunkard', 'idol worshiper' or 'adulterer' is allowed to marry

Are people who "disagree" that blacks should be able to marry whites bigots?

Let me check........

Yes

Are you not a bigot if you say there's something wrong with being Jewish?

We certainly disagree. As I'm not hamstrung with your assumptions, I can assess the intention and the harm caused by any given action and glean its morality accordingly. Stealing and oathbreaking cause harm to other people. Homosexuality doesn't.

If a gay couple gets married......nothing happens to you. You're simply unaffected. If a gay couple stole from you, you lose property. And you're most definitely effected.

So the first act wouldn't be immoral or a 'sin' because it causes no harm nor is intended to. While the second is an intentional act to take from you. And would qualify in my opinion.
Thank you for that concession (I think)
But I disagree that one of these things cause no harm in that it is contrary to why I believe we were created as male and female (to go forth and multiply)
Now, mind you, I only speak of the sinfulness of homosexual behavior NOT "gay marriage".
Gays SHOULD have just as much "right" to lose half of their shit in divorce as I do.
I simply object to being called a hateful bigoted homophobe because I don't buy into the hard sell that gay is normal

But I disagree that one of these things cause no harm in that it is contrary to why I believe we were created as male and female (to go forth and multiply)
Now, mind you, I only speak of the sinfulness of homosexual behavior NOT "gay marriage".
Gays SHOULD have just as much "right" to lose half of their shit in divorce as I do.
I simply object to being called a hateful bigoted homophobe because I don't buy into the hard sell that gay is normal
You can believe that all you want...just like you can believe that left-handed people aren't normal, that Jews aren't normal, that short people aren't normal. Just don't try to legislate against us.

Should we have laws that only normal people are allowed to get married?

Let me check........

Yes
And I agree, as well.
Race isn't a chemical imbalance in the brain.

However.......
:eusa_whistle:

Onus is on you to prove that it is a lie.

By claiming that someone else is lying when they aren't you are bearing false witness, right?

You can believe that all you want...just like you can believe that left-handed people aren't normal, that Jews aren't normal, that short people aren't normal. Just don't try to legislate against us.
Ok.

Then it's best settled by the courts and/or state legislatures.
Just don't put it on my ballot
:cool:

And who gets to make that call?

Normal is relative.

We do, however, have laws that only "normal people" can buy guns
:dunno:

I think its entirely possible to oppose gay marriage or even homosexuality without being hateful. I've met some principled, good people of genuine religious conviction that feel that the act is sinful. I can wrap my head around how they got to that place.

I simply think their reasoning is flawed and that there are better ways to determine morality than because someone told them so.

that short people aren't normal. Just don't try to legislate against us.

You are one of those "short people" :eek:

At least you aren't a "ginger"! :D

200_s.gif

Forum List

Back