Sarah Murnaghan - Lung Transplant FAILED

We used to have a principle of law, that laws would not be passed that benefit only a single person. Unfortunately that principle, like many others, has gone by the wayside. Now it's a media battle for public opinion. We have become more like spectators in the gladiatorial arene showing by thumbs up who lives and who dies before cheering crowds.

Yup. Like giving organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors, and members of the political class.

What law was changed to give organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors and members of the political class?

This isn't about giving organs to anyone, it's about changing the law to force medical providers to give organs to one, single, person, denied that organ on medical grounds.

How did Mickey Mantle jump the list for a liver? How did Dick Cheney jump the list for a heart?

This is why I am not an organ donor.

There is no way to tell if your organs will be wasted on a lost cause while other people die.

I'd rather throw my organs in the ring and perhaps give 10-20 people a shot.

There's a 100% chance they're wasted on me at that point.

I don't know about David Crosby, the Larry Hagman worked up until the day he died at age 86.

Still say there should be a free market for organs and body parts. The central planning of the organ market keeps supply well below demand and ensures costs remain high due to a lack of competition...just like every government-imposed monopoly.

But hey, there are plenty of humans, right? :eek:

All they need to do is start killing people for their organs, no shortage after that.

Still say there should be a free market for organs and body parts. The central planning of the organ market keeps supply well below demand and ensures costs remain high due to a lack of competition...just like every government-imposed monopoly.

Maybe they can just send the IRS after them.

You know, tell them they owe a liver or a set of lungs rather than pay fines.

Yup. Like giving organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors, and members of the political class.

What law was changed to give organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors and members of the political class?

This isn't about giving organs to anyone, it's about changing the law to force medical providers to give organs to one, single, person, denied that organ on medical grounds.

How did Mickey Mantle jump the list for a liver? How did Dick Cheney jump the list for a heart?

I will agree with you here. Dick Cheney should have never been considered for the heart. Money decided who got what, and who gets what.

There used to be. Its called China.

Sorry folks, but not trying is worse than failure.

Two sets of inferior, diseased lungs that the childs body can't even function without yet another surgery. Trying for the sake of trying is just stupid.

Sorry, but I don't take everything I read as gospel. I believe there is a slight chance there is an agenda at work here and false information is being put out by the media.

Could be. What would it be though ? Rateings ?

I will agree with you here. Dick Cheney should have never been considered for the heart. Money decided who got what, and who gets what.

Dick Cheney waited for three years for his transplanted heart. He had a heart pump installed during the waiting period. So he didn't jump to the front of the line. He came up just like everyone else.

if I recall correctly the panel that makes or made the rule ala who gets 'lungs' etc. delineated the boundaries, were Doctors...it didn't just appear out of nowhere, that had been the rules for a while.

sarah got that changed by a judge, becasue her parents found a way to surface and bring attention to their case, Sibelius was exactly right when she said she could not change the rules ( and if she had she would be as wrong as the judge inho).

Look, if the new paradigm is who yells loudest and best able to manage the press etc. as to how care is meted out, we are in deep shit.

This may sound harsh but I cannot think of anyway other way to say it- sarah may be cute and her parents successful at extending her life or giving her the opportunity to live, but, if this second set of lungs fails too, they have taken 2 sets of lungs that would have had provided much better odds as laid out by those doctors, given to the patients who had the best chances of integrating/utilizing them.

I said it then and I included every politician who got involved from each party and every media outlet, Fox, abc et al. Using emotional appeals to drive distribution of care is dishonest. If we are not going to let Doctors make those rules and turn it over to the judiciary, well, its going to be chaos.

This is a highly charged very emotional issue because literally we do not have enough organs to be able to save people.

I pity the "deciders". What a burden to bear.

I'm conflicted on many medical issues politically of course as we all are, but when one steps away from the keyboard and into those doctors shoes......

I couldn't do what they do.

When the panels of experts decide who gets an organ, they don't get emotional appeals, nor do they ever see the people whose lives depend on their decisions.

I do not support organ donation myself.

Dick Cheney waited for three years for his transplanted heart. He had a heart pump installed during the waiting period. So he didn't jump to the front of the line. He came up just like everyone else.

No other human in his condition would have been considered for the heart pump, let alone a transplant. A normal person also would not get the transplant on the taxpayers dime. The fact Dick Cheney is who he is got him the transplant. He contributes nothing, and should have been passed up.

if I recall correctly the panel that makes or made the rule ala who gets 'lungs' etc. delineated the boundaries, were Doctors...it didn't just appear out of nowhere, that had been the rules for a while.

sarah got that changed by a judge, becasue her parents found a way to surface and bring attention to their case, Sibelius was exactly right when she said she could not change the rules ( and if she had she would be as wrong as the judge inho).

Look, if the new paradigm is who yells loudest and best able to manage the press etc. as to how care is meted out, we are in deep shit.

This may sound harsh but I cannot think of anyway other way to say it- sarah may be cute and her parents successful at extending her life or giving her the opportunity to live, but, if this second set of lungs fails too, they have taken 2 sets of lungs that would have had provided much better odds as laid out by those doctors, given to the patients who had the best chances of integrating/utilizing them.

I said it then and I included every politician who got involved from each party and every media outlet, Fox, abc et al. Using emotional appeals to drive distribution of care is dishonest. If we are not going to let Doctors make those rules and turn it over to the judiciary, well, its going to be chaos.

This is a highly charged very emotional issue because literally we do not have enough organs to be able to save people.

I pity the "deciders". What a burden to bear.

I'm conflicted on many medical issues politically of course as we all are, but when one steps away from the keyboard and into those doctors shoes......

I couldn't do what they do.

I say fuck the deciders. What right do they have to decide anything ?a

One thing I will correct is the second set of lungs did not have pneumonia. The person with them had a history of pneumonia but they would not transplant a set of lungs from a person currently suffering from pneumonia.

No other human in his condition would have been considered for the heart pump, let alone a transplant. A normal person also would not get the transplant on the taxpayers dime. The fact Dick Cheney is who he is got him the transplant. He contributes nothing, and should have been passed up.

I agree. Also, at his age, most would not have been considered.

Why not? He was otherwise healthy. My husband was 70 going through the transplant evaluation process. Up until he died of necrotizing faciatis he was otherwise healthy. As a normal person, unpolitically connected, we would not have paid anything at all for the transplant. Cheney contributes more now, that obama does and most people do in their entire lives.

Admit it, who gets transplants should depend on what political party they belong to.

Forum List

Back