Sarah Palin resigning as Governor of Alaska

Watching Palin's speech today, I thought she looked like the mayor of a small town in Alaska that just bit off more than she could chew.

I don't think this move was calculated in the political sense.

If the economy is going that badly and the dems think Palin will beat Obama, wouldn't they be inclined to nominate Hillary over Obama?

has this been done? where a sitting president does not get the nomination for 2nd term?

i truly never paid attention to politics or sadly, even voted regularly, until 2000 (and was much happier i might add that ignorance was bliss) and skipped American History in high school....took World History instead....:(

care
yes
1968 for one

If the economy is going that badly and the dems think Palin will beat Obama, wouldn't they be inclined to nominate Hillary over Obama?

has this been done? where a sitting president does not get the nomination for 2nd term?

i truly never paid attention to politics or sadly, even voted regularly, until 2000 (and was much happier i might add that ignorance was bliss) and skipped American History in high school....took World History instead....:(

care
yes
1968 for one

Johnson had decided not to run, though. He'd have been nominated had he run.

This makes no sense. She's got a hell of a future ahead of her... you can't just quit as governor without finishing your first term! She's going to ruin her potential!

That's kind of what I thought..................... She doesn't have to run for govenor again in 2010...... i guess I think a person should finsish what they start....................

Watching Palin's speech today, I thought she looked like the mayor of a small town in Alaska that just bit off more than she could chew.

I don't think this move was calculated in the political sense.
no one cares what an ignorant asshole like you thinks anyway
:lol:

care
yes
1968 for one

Johnson had decided not to run, though. He'd have been nominated had he run.
he was running, but his polling vs RFK was so poor he was going to lose

She was human with an average family ... I hope she get s out all together and doesnt play the game ruing her entire life!

he was running, but his polling vs RFK was so poor he was going to lose

interesting. RFK was way behind Humphrey when he was shot.
ah, i thought humphrey was an after thought after RFK was shot

rfk got in the race late. he was way behind in delegates. LBJ would have had a lot of pull at the convention and he hated RFK (talking about after LBJ pulled out). Historians who play the what-if game say his chances of winning the nom were about 50/50. actually i don't know why they would be that high. unless all of McCarthy's delegates would have gone to RFK.

Last edited:
Tell me liberals: --& you supposedly FEMALE feminists--

Name one single MALE politician "whose family" EVER in the history of the U.S.-- was so viciously attacked as Sarah Palin's family was?

Funny--but no one has been able to answer this one yet?

I think Care4All answered you, the Clintons and the Bush's.

Now, again, without any bull, what do you think she resigned for?

1)Do you think she resigned to take care of her family? Be a stay at home mom?

2) Or do you think she did it to take a different career path, ala talk show, book tour. etc.?

3) Or, do you think she did it because she has another political aspiration up her sleeve?

I think she resigned to put her family first. I don't think she'll be a full-time stay at home mom, I think she's too driven career-wise, but I do think her main reason for resigning was her family. She and her family were screwed raw by the media and the family said enough is enough. And rightly so.

She's turned down numerous speaking engagements . . . perhaps she will go into fundraising or something similar. Her speech sounded like she still wanted to enact positive change but from outside of the political arena.

Ok, that's my 1/2 cent. Sorry, don't have 2 cents!

An interesting nugget:

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

So Sarah Palin has resigned. From four colleges. From her job with the Oil & Gas Commission. And now finally, from her job as governor.
Highly unusual for someone once so determined to climb the political ladder that she stayed on in Texas to deliver a speech to the Republican Governors' Association, even as she went into labor with her fifth child. But, hey, that's Sarah. Also.

The BRAD BLOG : EXCLUSIVE: PALIN RESIGNATION 'DAMAGE CONTROL' FOR COMING 'ICEBERG SCANDAL' ... MORE: EMBEZZLEMENT INDICTMENTS COMING?

THE $12.5 MILLION sports complex and hockey rink that is the lasting monument to Palin's two terms as Wasilla mayor is also a monument to the kind of insider politics that dismays Americans of both parties. Six months before Palin stepped down as mayor in October 2002, the city awarded nearly a half-million-dollar contract to design the biggest project in Wasilla history to Kumin Associates. Blase Burkhart was the Kumin architect on the job-the son of Roy Burkhart, who is frequently described as a "mentor" of Palin and was head of the local Republican Party (his wife, June, who also advised Palin, is the national committeewoman). Asked if the contract was a favor, Roy Burkhart, who contributed to her campaign in the same time frame that his son got the contract, said: "I really don't know." Palin then named Blase Burkhart to a seven-member builder-selection committee that picked Howdie Inc., a mostly residential contractor owned at the time by Howard Nugent. Formally awarded the contract a couple of weeks after Palin left office, Nugent has donated $4,000 to Palin campaigns. Two competitors protested the process that led to Nugent's contract.
A list of subcontractors on the job, obtained by the Voice, includes many with Palin ties. One was Spenard Builders Supply, the state's leading supplier of wood, floor, roof, and other "pre-engineered components." In addition to being a sponsor of Todd Palin's snow-machine team that has earned tens of thousands for the Palin family, Spenard hired Sarah Palin to do a statewide television commercial in 2004. When the Palins began building a new family home off Lake Lucille in 2002—at the same time that Palin was running for lieutenant governor and in her final months as mayor—Spenard supplied the materials, according to Antoine Bricks, who works in its Wasilla office.
Todd Palin told Fox News that he built the two-story, 3,450-square-foot, four-bedroom, four-bath, wood house himself, with the help of contractors he described as "buddies." As mayor, Sarah Palin blocked an effort to require the filing of building permits in the wide-open city, and there is no public record of who the "buddies" were.

Makes sense...party before country, or in this case state, has long been the GOP way.

Bingo.

All bullshit aside, the fact is she has abandonned the people who elected her, her state. She has forsaken her duties and her oath. It's the stuff deserters are made of.

yeah, it's almost as bad as being elected to the senate and then spending all your time running for the presidency.
:eusa_whistle:

Really? Then tell me how it's possible that Obama had a better attendance and voting record on bills from 2005 - 2008 than Hillary AND McCain. Look it up: U.S. Senate

OK, since Oreo won't answer the question, maybe someone else will. Why do you think she resigned?

1)Do you think she resigned to take care of her family? Be a stay at home mom?

2) Or do you think she did it to take a different career path, ala talk show, book tour. etc.?

3) Or, do you think she did it because she has another political aspiration up her sleeve?

I think there is no chance in France that her resignation is ANYTHING but a sign that she is going to run for President.

Completely incorrect as usual. Your name speaks truths as to what kind of LIABILITY you are to this forum.

You do not QUIT your job as a governor of a state in which you were elected to server for 48 months in which you only spent 18 months, ran for vice president for 3 months, toured the country and did media interviews for another 9 months and give up with 18 months left. She chided Obama over experience and yet quits halfway through her term! If she wanted to focus on 2012, then she should not run in 2010 and leave office in 2011. The only reason why it would take her a year and a half to run in 2011 is because she needs that year and a half to actually have a full understanding of the issues - which was a requisite to actually run for VP LAST YEAR. She demonstrated in all of her interviews that she had absolutely no understanding of the issues whatsoever.

Forum List

Back