Schoolgirl tries science experiment, arrested for felony

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
A teenage girl puts two household chemicals in a water bottle at school to see what might happen. There is a small explosion. No one is hurt. She is expelled and charged with weapons possession.

Who among us hasn't -- just once in our lives -- put a couple of things in a test tube, a bottle, or our mouths and wondered what might happen?

Occasionally, this might have difficult consequences. But rarely does someone try to arrest us for it.

16-year-old Kiera Wilmot wasn't so lucky.

This student at Bartow High School in Florida allegedly thought she'd put a couple of household chemicals in an 8-ounce water bottle, just to see the reaction.

The reaction was that she was expelled and marched off in handcuffs, accused of felony possession/discharge of a dangerous weapon.

Schoolgirl tries science experiment, arrested for felony | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

Definitely an overkill being done here with the police

You know, I understand her getting in trouble for performing an experiment without adult consent and supervision...but that should be the schools doing..NOT Law Enforcements. She did nothing wrong to get arrested..the only thing she did wrong was make a stupid decision to mix two chemicals without knowing what would happen. No one was hurt, no damage to the school building or it's grounds was done...the Principal even said that the 'explosion' was no bigger than a firecracker going off...the lid blew off the bottled chemicals..that is it.
So she gets arrested for a FELONY???
I hope her parents are pissed, so much so that they sue.

A good lawyer will help her out and possibly gain damages.

A teenage girl puts two household chemicals in a water bottle at school to see what might happen. There is a small explosion. No one is hurt. She is expelled and charged with weapons possession.

Who among us hasn't -- just once in our lives -- put a couple of things in a test tube, a bottle, or our mouths and wondered what might happen?

Occasionally, this might have difficult consequences. But rarely does someone try to arrest us for it.

This student at Bartow High School in Florida allegedly thought she'd put a couple of household chemicals in an 8-ounce water bottle, just to see the reaction.

The reaction was that she was expelled and marched off in handcuffs, accused of felony possession/discharge of a dangerous weapon.

Schoolgirl tries science experiment, arrested for felony | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

There was no explosion. The build up of gases in the sealed bottle caused the top to blow off, which caused a small noise. I made a bigger blast in Advanced Chemistry in high school when I was bumped and dropped 0.5 grams of sodium in the sink of my lab table.

Who exercised the worse judgment here? Kiera Wilmot or the Polk County Schools District and the local police?

School districts and law enforcement rarely have that type of latitude.

One is innocent until proven guilty.

The intelligent response to this is to wait for the final outcome of the issue and reserve judgement until then – however contrary to human nature that may be.

No thoughts of your own?

Oh that's right, you're waiting on the liberal talking points to come out first.

Kids already can't go to school anymore without fearing for their life. Now because of this, it sounds like that they can't learn anything anymore without the possibility of being arrested. :( :( :(

God bless you and that girl always!!!

Holly

Who exercised the worse judgment here? Kiera Wilmot or the Polk County Schools District and the local police?

School districts and law enforcement rarely have that type of latitude.

One is innocent until proven guilty.

The intelligent response to this is to wait for the final outcome of the issue and reserve judgement until then – however contrary to human nature that may be.

Wrong. The girl should never have been arrested. Only a Nazi would agree the charge is justified.

No thoughts of your own?

Oh that's right, you're waiting on the liberal talking points to come out first.

Interesting that you're deciding to attack me for what? Just posting the story? No? Waiting on my own thoughts on this story? :cuckoo:

Well I must say you had a big bowl of "Dumb Ass" this morning, because right after I posted this story I did post my own thoughts in regards to this story.

Now if you want to attack me just to attack me, have at it. I give just as good as I take...:eusa_whistle:

Arrested? Felony charge? Expulsion? Can anyone say "Overkill"?

I don't see the Mythbusters being arrested. God knows how many explosions they've done over the last 10 years.

Welcome to the New America!

She was stupid in not having an adult supervise her, and she also didn't conduct this experiment in a classroom, where she should have, but I think expulsion and arrest is a little much - I would support a suspension, though.

Forum List

Back