Schoolgirl tries science experiment, arrested for felony

Surely there is more to this story. I'm sure the instructor would have told the students what chemicals could not be mixed together, if those chemicals were in the lab for them to have access to and use. If he didn't then she should have known better than to just mix them to see what would happen. What if the explosion would have killed someone?

As for the felony, not sure it will stick, unless they can prove that she knew what she was doing and willfully did it anyway.

She was stupid in not having an adult supervise her, and she also didn't conduct this experiment in a classroom, where she should have, but I think expulsion and arrest is a little much - I would support a suspension, though.

Which chemicals did she mix? Until you can be specific about that, you cannot say she needed adult supervision. It is possible to mix baking soda and vinegar in a water bottle and get the exact reaction she did. It is also possible that an adult being there would not have made a bit of difference in the results because, believe it or not, being an adult does not magically make you incapable of making a mistake.

Yanno................potassium generates a thermal reaction when it gets wet.

I've heard stories from friends where they've seen potassium get wet from a damp paper towel, and seeing it go up in a pretty spectacular flame.

Maybe a 3 day suspension could be in order, but anything more than that is overkill.

She was stupid in not having an adult supervise her, and she also didn't conduct this experiment in a classroom, where she should have, but I think expulsion and arrest is a little much - I would support a suspension, though.

Which chemicals did she mix? Until you can be specific about that, you cannot say she needed adult supervision. It is possible to mix baking soda and vinegar in a water bottle and get the exact reaction she did. It is also possible that an adult being there would not have made a bit of difference in the results because, believe it or not, being an adult does not magically make you incapable of making a mistake.

The point is though, that she conducted an experiment outside of the science lab. The place for such experiments is in a safe environment, not behind a building with fellow students watching.

Which chemicals did she mix? Until you can be specific about that, you cannot say she needed adult supervision.

If it exploded she needed a fucking supervisor!

Ever see what happens when dry ice hits water in a closed environment?

Tell ya what.................try dropping some dry ice into a Gatorade bottle half filled with water and cap it. But...............remember to make sure it's at least 50 ft. from you when it goes off.

Do we need supervisors for dry ice and water as well?

Again, this is what happens after a terrorist or shooting event. Everyone gets jumpy and overreacts.

This is silly.

Which chemicals did she mix? Until you can be specific about that, you cannot say she needed adult supervision.

Ever see what happens when dry ice hits water in a closed environment?

Tell ya what.................try dropping some dry ice into a Gatorade bottle half filled with water and cap it. But...............remember to make sure it's at least 50 ft. from you when it goes off.

Do we need supervisors for dry ice and water as well?

Don't even need water...put some dry ice in a bottle, cap it tightly, and leave it for an hour...POW!

It was obviously a "gateway explosive".
Throw away the key I say, before she starts moving onto harder explosives.
Before you know it she'll be targeting national sporting events.

The point is though, that she conducted an experiment outside of the science lab. The place for such experiments is in a safe environment, not behind a building with fellow students watching.

The point is that what she did did not hurt anyone, caused absolutely no damage, and that she did not try to pretend it was not her. Given the over reaction of the school to those facts they probably would allow a teacher to preform the experiment, much less a student.

Technically, shaking a soda can right before you open it is an explosion. Do you think teenagers should have adult supervision for that? The fact that no one git hurt, and that there was no property damage, tells me she did not need the omnipresent supervision of an adult.

Technically, shaking a soda can right before you open it is an explosion. Do you think teenagers should have adult supervision for that? The fact that no one git hurt, and that there was no property damage, tells me she did not need the omnipresent supervision of an adult.

You say she didn't need adult supervision. Can we wait until we find out exactly what these chemicals were before we decide that?

You say she didn't need adult supervision. Can we wait until we find out exactly what these chemicals were before we decide that?

I did not say that, I am saying that the fact that no one got hurt even though there was no adult present tells me that she didn't need it. That is a statement of opinion based up by the evidence we have.

Was she wearing a t-shirt with an image of a gun on it at the time??? Cuz that would make the punishment tooooottttaaallly justifiable. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back