Science Is/As A Religion

Did it need to happen over a hundred replies to the point that the thread was rendered beyond repair?

Shit doesn't "just happen". You deposit it intentionally. Thanks. Grow up.

Get back to us when you admonish the other party in that pissing match. Of course he'll call you a liar, but at least then you'll have some credibility in playing threadmother.

THREADMOTHER!!!!!????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was not taking sides in the mindless argument. The DaveBoy has taken over the CumHogs roll of threadkiller. It isn't about his pussy flap slapfest with anyone in particular..It is more about me enjoying the few threads that caught my interest over the weekend and finding them cluttered with shit. OK...so I singled out BoyDave..Big Whoop! I thought he could handle it. I wasn't concerned about his fan club.

O c'mon. "Threadmother" is a fabulous new word. You know you like it.

Dun be a new word denier, now, Huggy.

Get back to us when you admonish the other party in that pissing match. Of course he'll call you a liar, but at least then you'll have some credibility in playing threadmother.

I was not taking sides in the mindless argument. The DaveBoy has taken over the CumHogs roll of threadkiller. It isn't about his pussy flap slapfest with anyone in particular..It is more about me enjoying the few threads that caught my interest over the weekend and finding them cluttered with shit. OK...so I singled out BoyDave..Big Whoop! I thought he could handle it. I wasn't concerned about his fan club.

it is not new, madeline.

i however am extremely appalled. all the name-calling distracts from the serious discussion about sciencers and how they suck.

I guess I've been criticized too much for having Faith while at the same time believing the evidence supports evolution and quantum mechanics. It's not a lie, my college astronomy professor challenged me to a formal debate on evolution and used it to disprove creationism as what he called, "the first domino of faith to fall." It was his belief that if Heaven existed we'd have seen evidence of it by now since we can measure energy from the outer reaches of the known universe. When I said that I thought creationism and evolution were completely compatible he read from a Baptist leaflet telling me what I believe. I then read from the Book of Genesis and explained how there was nothing "false" about it. He, like you, would not accept my stated beliefs and went back to his cherry-picked sources to again assert that I was lying.
I'd be happy to knock over the second domino for you. Creationism and evolution are not compatible. The idea of religion proposing how life began and evolution taking it from there works, but generally creationism is the idea that all organisms were created unchanged and unchanging, while evolution says they can change. People like to make weird mashups where the two can somehow exist, but you'll find these people basically mutiliate evolution into some convoluted shape that goes against evidence to have it match up.

You know you lost that debate, and with that knowledge comes the idea that your beliefs are wrong. Not a fun place to be in. I recommend you reconcile to either jettison your scientific knowledge, or change your faith to acknowledge the facts.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. I've long advocated for more tolerance in religious circles especially towards those who believe in the supernatural like ghosts, aliens, and psychic powers.
The problem with that is that the leaders of religious groups invariably want to control the information and religion. Acceptance of new ideas is generally not tolerated too well. Imagine if someone came forth and claimed in a virgin birth today. How would the church respond and why?

Actually most atheists can't seperate it out. In their view if a person is religious by definition they must also be irrational and mentally unbalanced, thus incapable of the ability to engage in a rigorous scientific discussion. This will extend accross many lines of thought as well. rdean, for instance will assume that if you are a "denier" of AGW theory you must be a religious fanatic.
This right here is better known as a generalization. I recommend you steer clear of them.

Your attempt to get every red blooded man on this MB to explore his so called feminine side has not gone un noticed. :eek:

But enough about you...

The OP suggested that there can be a legitimate parallel path of faith and science. This has been supported by many others drifting back to the old arguments. I guess in a sense that is what is called progress. Not enough. The Christian filter has no place in science other than the study of mental disorders.

it is not new, madeline.

i however am extremely appalled. all the name-calling distracts from the serious discussion about sciencers and how they suck.

Tis new! Tis! Tis, tis tis. I checked the urban dictionary and when it did not appear there, I promptly contributed it, stealing asterism's fabulousity for myself.

LOL @ "sciencers". I may have to go back and contribute that, too. If I knew what it meant!

Your attempt to get every red blooded man on this MB to explore his so called feminine side has not gone un noticed. :eek:

But enough about you...

The OP suggested that there can be a legitimate parallel path of faith and science. This has been supported by many others drifting back to the old arguments. I guess in a sense that is what is called progress. Not enough. The Christian filter has no place in science other than the study of mental disorders.

I disagree. While some christian sects are not well-adjusted, most are. Faith explores ethics, one's relationship to God and other imponderables. It is a distinct appetite from science.

Rdean can be a little pedantic. I'm not an atheist but I doubt he's typical.

And just what is "AGW theory"? Global warming?

Yes it is, and in my experience, which I grant you is anecdotal, it is a common "belief" of the atheists.

Like Lutefisk... I choose not to partake of science as religion. And you're right, that once death takes us, the truth will be known regardless of your faith.

How can dead people know anything and what could they do with the information if they found anything out ?

I would agree except faith generally explores morals, not ethics. Small but significant distinction. Ethics is usually evidence based and logically supported, whereas morals are generally blindly followed because someone told you it's how you ought to act.

Yes it is, and in my experience, which I grant you is anecdotal, it is a common "belief" of the atheists.

How odd. Many people question AGW, including scientists....that's why it is still known as a "theory". I'd expect them to be more anxious to accuse you of rejecting science if you couldn't accept evolution.

O well, I suppose everything has a fashion.

I would agree except faith generally explores morals, not ethics. Small but significant distinction. Ethics is usually evidence based and logically supported, whereas morals are generally blindly followed because someone told you it's how you ought to act.

I don't know that I agree....but anyway, I suppose all humans wrestle with just such questions, regardless.

Why can't people separate their faith in God from their confidence in science? I feel as if we're debating whether musicans can also read. I still don't get the connection.

I can, Daveman can, Intense can. You haven't been paying attention?

Indeed. However, some people have a need to buttress their beliefs by denigrating those of others.

Did it need to happen over a hundred replies to the point that the thread was rendered beyond repair?

I can handle anything. Looks like you can't, though. :lol:

But enough about you...

I disagree. While some christian sects are not well-adjusted, most are. Faith explores ethics, one's relationship to God and other imponderables. It is a distinct appetite from science.

It's more of a "distant" appetite from science. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get a chuckle watching the Free Speech chanel from time to time featuring the Vatacan's Astronomer discussing the forming of stars, black holes...dark matter.. and such. I have no idea why this guy works for the POOPY POPE! He "sounds" like a real scientist. Everything that pops out of his pie hole screams...NO GOD!!! Yet he still stands there with the funny collar. If he wasn't explaining REAL science it would look like a SNL skit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the answer.

Can I have a juice box now? :razz:

But enough about you...

I get a chuckle watching the Free Speech chanel from time to time featuring the Vatacan's Astronomer discussing the forming of stars, black holes...dark matter.. and such. I have no idea why this guy works for the POOPY POPE! He "sounds" like a real scientist. Everything that pops out of his pie hole screams...NO GOD!!! Yet he still stands there with the funny collar. If he wasn't explaining REAL science it would look like a SNL skit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The RCC has a terrible history of opposing science. Just awful. I think they got around to apologizing to Gallieleo like last year.

I guess they are trying to rehab themselves on that account.

The RCC has a terrible history of opposing science. Just awful. I think they got around to apologizing to Gallieleo like last year.

I guess they are trying to rehab themselves on that account.

It makes for some great drama tho.

AGW is "Anthropogenic Global Warming," a theory that humans are causing the planet to heat. I disagree with the point that rdean is pedantic. He is absolutely unconcerned with details of statistics. The irony is that his own ignorance proves his faith in something that can be proven right or wrong, while he attacks those for having faith in concepts that so far cannot be proven right or wrong.

I mean belief in some sort of God is one thing, but belief that the AAAS is a representative sample of all scientists is something entirely different.

How odd. Many people question AGW, including scientists....that's why it is still known as a "theory". I'd expect them to be more anxious to accuse you of rejecting science if you couldn't accept evolution.

All of science is "theory". The Laws of Gravity are still only theoretical.

That;s true. I think I shocked poor deanies worldview when asked about evolution and I came down firmly in favour of evolutionary theory and was actually able to defend the theory better than deanie could.

Forum List

Back