SCOTUS Refuses To Hear Appeal - Gays Win Again!

I'll just leave this here. Let the casualties fall where they may:

10172858_10152358398281178_100768646222773277_n.jpg

You just became the first casualty of your own post. Any intelligent person knows that you can grow as a person and subsequently change your mind. Also intelligent people know the quote is out of context because he is talking about his own personal beliefs and not saying that gay people should not get married. You need more practice in fooling people.

Simple cause and effect. Now, a neo Nazi can sue a Jewish baker for not making him a Nazi themed cake. A Klansman can sue a black seamstress for not making him his white robe and hat. A Christian can sue a Muslim because he refused to serve him pork chops, and vice versa. The possibilities are endless, LL.

Just remember, equality works both ways, not just for gay people.

You seem to be catching on to how this all works. You cant discriminate against people because you dislike them. Its illegal.

Well then, I suppose you can tell that to the IRS then.

I said you can't. The IRS has nothing to do with it.

And Public Accommodation laws are in my mind unconstitutional. When they force people to act against their beliefs while doing business with the public, they have lost control of their business and of their basic religious freedoms. The ability to run a business should not come at the expense of your religious beliefs.

Even when your religious beliefs are against race mixing?

Sorry boy, we don't serve colored here

Sorry boy, your argument is a red herring. Moving on.

It s the same issue. Using religion to cover for your hatred of blacks or hatred of gays. Didnt work in 1965, doesn't work in 2014

You just became the first casualty of your own post. Any intelligent person knows that you can grow as a person and subsequently change your mind. Also intelligent people know the quote is out of context because he is talking about his own personal beliefs and not saying that gay people should not get married. You need more practice in fooling people.
Obama grew as a personal person right after winning the election? Gotta love liblogic. I had a guy come into my shop wearing a Bush in crosshairs teeshirt back in the liberal glory days. If I refused service to him, would that be my right?

I.
It think you miss the point that the only free choice you have is to live by the rules of society/government or be penalized. Since the OP is about discriminating against a couple because of what your religion dictates then "free choice" would cover the ability to discriminate.

II. In regard to your last paragraph....the point of progress is to move forward even when at times it may seem you need to stand still and figure it all out perfectly before implementation. I can tell you that it rarely works that way. People get brain lock and freeze trying to come to a 100% consensus. Nothing would ever get done. You take the best course of action, evaluate the results, tweak the solution and continue to do this in a never ending cycle. This is a process not the completed package.

I. Yes, however that is the very problem -- when people do not agree or believe in the same "rules" in order not to face consequences they both "penalize each other"
(I don't think "penalized" is the only option, but responsibility for correction and restitution if you want to consider that a penalty; I just see it as a natural process to correct wrongs)

if we understood and respected religious beliefs equally, either for or against gay marriage, then we could start working out a plan toward resolution, from equal footing.

So A, it is ALSO natural law or Constitutional law to respect people's religious beliefs;
we could not reach a resolution by never including the person as an equal to begin with.

If you ask any experienced mediator, they will tell you the conflict resolution has to start with neutral ground. If you are going into it already presupposing the other is wrong and needs to be "penalized", of course you are going to deadlock.

That IS part of "natural law" or natural rules of society and how people function.
We cannot solve problems while we feel we are being attacked and excluded
and focus on defending our right to exist. One side gets that for themselves,
but they don't see the other feels equally as disenfranchised, so they stay stuck in conflict.

II. Regarding nothing would get done
I disagree; it would compel a higher standard on resolving conflicts where govt is neutral, people resolve their issues first, and then write laws or reform govt to reflect that plan.

it would compel BETTER leaders who are more able to represent "all people equally"
in shaping and correcting public policy.

This is like saying:
If we required planes to be piloted correctly, or we required doctors to be fully trained and licensed to be accurate in their work, we'd have a shortage and wouldn't meet the need.

Yes there is a high stress level on pilots and doctors because the demands are greater.

But we need it to be that way
or we'd have a bunch of dangerous incompetent practices going on,
making more messes.

And that's what we have now with lawyers and govt.
Competent enough to know the laws to get into conflicts and win by bullying
or excluding the other.

But where are the mediators, legislators, and leaders who can unify people on common solutions and write good laws that people support uniformly?

Look at the Code of Ethics for Govt Service as an example
of laws written and passed UNANIMOUSLY by Congress:
ethics-commission.net

Why can't we make that the standard?
then force all people to solve problems at the local level where they are EQUAL,
and only reserve the state and federal levels for policies that
"all people agree on" on THAT level before it is enforced as public.

Wouldn't that reward the good pilots and good doctors
who know how to operate accurately and effectively?

Wouldn't that create jobs paying mediators and law teams
TO SOLVE PROBLEMS not just getting paid to bully in Courts and Congress.

Equal rights are not like a sport, a wrestling match where
you enjoy the soap opera drama of watching two foes fight it out.

These are people's rights, lives, freedom and RELATIONSHIPS on the line.
Don't we owe it to each other to stand for solutions that
respect and represent us EQUALLY? Isn't that what the
First and Fourteenth Amendments are supposed to be about?

Why not challenge ourselves and our govt to live up to our noble standards:
Equal Justice Under Law

Not just "one side" getting their way who had more money, better lawyers,
a judge who sympathized, or majority rule from more members of their party voting.

Equal Justice for ALL

How can we live up to that if we keep compromising with a lower standard?
Why not elect and hire people who can come closer to truly equal inclusion.

I was invited to a gay wedding a little while ago and politely said "FUCK NO". I'm fairly sure I would have thrown up when they kissed. So you see, gays aren't winning. Unless you want to pass a law that makes people come to your weddings with a smile. LOL

Even when your religious beliefs are against race mixing?

Sorry boy, we don't serve colored here

It s the same issue. Using religion to cover for your hatred of blacks or hatred of gays. Didnt work in 1965, doesn't work in 2014

Dear Rightwinger:
Sorry but race and orientation are NOT the same.
These issues have some similarities externally, but internally not the same level.

A. Enough research has been shown to back the arguments
that orientation is NOT defined, limited, or determined by genetics alone.

Not the same with RACE which is determined by genetics.

B. People who were homosexual have been healed if this
was caused by abuse, and they were later healed of the abuse.
Not all, but some cases this happens where they change
back to their original orientation and no longer are attracted homosexually.

I have never heard of anyone who "naturally changed race"
after they were healed of past abuses.

Abuse does not cause someone's race,
but it has caused people to exhibit sexual behavior patterns,
either heterosexual or homosexual, that "changed after they were healed of abuse."

This is not limited to just gay but also can affect cases of
straight sexually abusive behavior caused by abuse.

I have NEVER heard of someone
being "healed of their race" or changing their race "naturally."

Not all cases of homosexuality are caused by abuse.

But ALL people I know are of their race by birth, they were born that way
and it is not caused by environmental or social factors after the fact.

Last edited:
I was invited to a gay wedding a little while ago and politely said "FUCK NO". I'm fairly sure I would have thrown up when they kissed. So you see, gays aren't winning. Unless you want to pass a law that makes people come to your weddings with a smile. LOL

Hey some people react like that just because
of the people who are getting married or kissing.

"Yuck no thanks"
is not limited to just gay couples.

Personally I think we should stick with govt just writing such neutral general laws
that we don't argue over applying it to this case but not that one.

Just keep it centrally focused and objective,
and let people apply it how it works for them
and quit running to "mommy and daddy" for every little conflict
we need to learn to resolve ourselves. we need to grow up and quit
thinking we are going to magically solve problems by imposing them from federal govt
reigning down on top of everyone like a God figure ruling from the clouds
because we can't figure solutions out for ourselves.

Funny how the same people who yell about churches and religions
pontificating for the masses (at the expense of individual liberty
and freedom to work things out ourselves and "still be responsible and moral"
WITHOUT relying on faith in Jesus and God to make it right)
Now want to use GOVERNMENT as the substitute Jesus/God figure to IMPOSE LAWS.
And only if you go through THAT is is "good will for all" and the right way.

So weird how ironic that is.

And how people cannot see that they are both doing it to each other.
They TRULY believe their way is right anyway, and the other is wrong.
so they keep pushing, they don't get why the other side keeps doing it to them,
but they are doing the same thing too!

At what point are people going to see each other as equals in the same process?
Not "our way is right" "their way is wrong" and just needs to go away and get over it.

Is there a "magic light switch" that I could suddenly flip on
and people realize they are in the same room or the same boat?

And what "other people are doing on their side to push intolerantly"
is a "mirror projection" of what their side is doing and looks like also.

???

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here. Let the casualties fall where they may:

10172858_10152358398281178_100768646222773277_n.jpg

Obama changed his position more than once since 1996. How is that "growing" exactly? You've become a casualty of your own ignorance. :eusa_whistle:

President Barack Obama's shifting stance on gay marriage | PolitiFact

Not my examples.

My examples:

But race is...as is color. The KKK is a race-based advocacy group. The Black owned caterer therefore cannot refuse to provide his service to the KKK meeting because he has a problem with white race advocacy groups. Same goes for the Black seamstress refusing to hem the white robe.

Religion is too. Therefore, the Christian can sick the government on the Jewish baker for refusing to make a Jesus-on-the-cross cake. The Muslim baker cannot refuse on religious grounds to bake the cake with a picture of Mohammed on it.

Age is also. So, if the Senior Center prefers not to offer their rec room to teenagers, they're out of luck. If a 60 year old man wants to join the Boys Scouts, what's to stop him now?

KKK argument was raised and dismissed by the court. If the black seamstress refused service because they are white - the complaint would be valid.

Or if he refused because they are White race advocacy group. I say that's wrong.

Service is not required based on political ideology. Your making a classic strawman failure. The court specifically said that the KKK is a political view and therefore does not fall under the protections of the New Mexico Public Accommodation law.

Again from the New Mexico Supreme Court, which the SCOTUS upheld by denying the cert:

"Elane Photography also suggests that enforcing the NMHRA against it would mean that an African-American photographer could not legally refuse to photograph a Ku Klux Klan rally. This hypothetical suffers from the reality that political views and political group membership, including membership in the Klan, are not protected categories under the NMHRA. See § 28-1-7(F) (prohibiting public accommodation discrimination based on “race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap”). Therefore, an African-American could decline to photograph a Ku Klux Klan rally."​

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/ElanePhotoNMSCopinion.pdf

Agreed. Political groups are not protected...yet. Further demonstrating my point that to pick and choose which group gets protection and which does not is a slippery slope.

They may, they may not.

However to argue that the laws are unconstitutional when they have been upheld in state courts and federal courts all the way to the SCOTUS isn't helping.

What we need to do is call for the repeal of Public Accommodation laws and to allow the market to control such things. That the inherent right of private businesses to associate and control their goods and services is a right of property. That Public Accommodation laws should only limit the actions of governments in the directs goods and services they provide and limit their ability to contract work from private businesses that operate under a discriminatory model.

Does matter how many White customer she has. If she dares utter the truth, that she doesn't want to work a garment worn by a white supremacist group, she's out of luck. I say that's a shame.

False, she can utter the truth, "No I don't make robes for the KKK" she wouldn't be in any trouble.

>>>>

Is the problem that the photographer didn't offer to substitute something else?

No.

The problem is the unwarranted fear and hatred of gay Americans by many on the social right.

That's not the point. It shouldn't matter if the guy who walks in my door is gay, black, Muslim, a daywalking ginger, or is wearing a Winger t-shirt. As a business owner I should have the same right to not do business with someone as that guy's right to go to my competitor.

Does the flip side hold true, that government can tell our hypothetical buyer who he must do business with? Am I going to be funneled to gay owned businesses or black owned businesses or Muslim owned businesses just because some bureaucrat or society demands it? It's bad enough that we have to ask permission via licencing just to open a business, but where does that government intervention in the marketplace in the name of fairness end?

Just take the gig and let them know all proceeds from it was being donated to an anti gay marriage group. They want to go forward you have a win/win

Nonsense.

Businesses are subject to all manner of regulatory measures determined appropriate and Constitutional by Commerce Clause jurisprudence – from employees’ wages to working conditions to environmental protection to consumer safety – and public accommodations laws are no different and just as appropriate and Constitutional.

Clearly the social right’s opposition to public accommodations laws that afford protections to gay customers is predicated solely on their animus toward gay Americans, not some inane, errant perception of an “erosion of freedom.”
Nonsense? You just blew your wad. If it was a Constitutional issue, there would be no need for an "Accommodation law". There is no federal law that states you must serve anyone if you serve anybody. I can say "I don't do business with women". You can sue but you'd loose, unless there was a local law businesses were forced to operate under.

Your info reflects Washington State, here is the Washington State Public Accommodation law. Every State in the union has Public Accommodation laws and (IIRC) just over twenty include sexual orientation. New Mexicos does.

RCW 49.60.215
Unfair practices of places of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, amusement — Trained dog guides and service animals.

(1) It shall be an unfair practice for any person or the person's agent or employee to commit an act which directly or indirectly results in any distinction, restriction, or discrimination, or the requiring of any person to pay a larger sum than the uniform rates charged other persons, or the refusing or withholding from any person the admission, patronage, custom, presence, frequenting, dwelling, staying, or lodging in any place of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, or amusement, except for conditions and limitations established by law and applicable to all persons, regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, honorably discharged veteran or military status, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability: PROVIDED, That this section shall not be construed to require structural changes, modifications, or additions to make any place accessible to a person with a disability except as otherwise required by law: PROVIDED, That behavior or actions constituting a risk to property or other persons can be grounds for refusal and shall not constitute an unfair practice.​

RCW 49.60.215: Unfair practices of places of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, amusement ? Trained dog guides and service animals.

>>>>

Careful what you wish for...

If this Christian photographer must work a gay wedding, so must a Black-owned caterer provide their services to a KKK meeting.

Political belief is not protected, only political speech.

And Public Accommodation laws are in my mind unconstitutional. When they force people to act against their beliefs while doing business with the public, they have lost control of their business and of their basic religious freedoms. The ability to run a business should not come at the expense of your religious beliefs.

Except they aren't unconstitutional and no one really cares about your personal lack of understanding of constitution and caselaw.

Excuse me? Jillian? I dare you to get into a case law debate with me. I've studied the law a lot longer than you have, granted. Your lack of an argument tells me all I need to know. Nobody cares that your argument is inferior, jillian. Your lack of understanding on free expression and religious freedom is limited only to that which the liberal elite in Washington tell you.

a paralegal student and a longtime lawyer

TK, stop it for your sake please

Dear Rightwinger:
These issues have some similarities externally, but internally not the same level.

either heterosexual or homosexual, that "changed after they were healed of abuse."

Dear Emily

You post like it is still 1950, please stop

It's amazing to me that anyone would force themselves on a business who doesn't want their business.

In this case the lesbian couple had zero respect for the photographers religious beliefs, and instead of simply going elsewhere they chose to force themselves on the photographer.
Fucking pricks.

It amazes normal people that rightwingnuts think they can claim a religious exemption to equal protection

its amazing to be that liberals claim they are against slavery when they would force a person to work for someone they don't want to under penalty of law handed down by their big government masters. That's slavery and liberal democrats still support it. They always have been the party of slavery. Liberty? not in their vocabulary.:cuckoo:

What did gays win?

Christians just have to make minor adjustments and never offer a service to gays. Or, may now legally put in any kind of disclaimer no matter how hateful the language.

Yes they won but they didn't win very much.

Dear Rightwinger:

Dear Emily

You post like it is still 1950, please stop

A group of (insert color, gender or national origin)sailors are taking shore leave. As they leave the ship they are handed condoms.

One group, homosexuals, will hook up with members of the same sex and use the condoms so not to contract an STD

The other group, heterosexuals, will hook up with members of the opposite sex and use the condoms to not only safeguard against STDs, but also guard against pregnancy.

Place a race, gender or any national origin into the above groups and the dynamic of the use of the condom does not change.

Flip the sexualities of the two groups and you have homosexuals using condoms, during same sex hook ups to guard against pregnancy?

See how silly your argument is?

It was silly in the 50s, silly now, and silly in the future.

In this case the business had zero respect for the public. They should have put up signs announcing they hate gay people. If they want to run a straight club they are more than welcome. However, since this is a business that caters to the public and not just those in their church group they have to accommodate everyone.

I agree with you in saying that there is no way someone is getting my money if they hate/dislike me. On the other hand it is funny they lost and will have to either remove their religious beliefs from their business and treat everyone equally. (Weird that religious beliefs and equality are at odds in that sentence.)

I know how many want to blame the gay couple.....is there evidence that they KNEW prior to going to this business that they were going to refuse to serve them?

Face it. You really, really don't know 99% of people out there you deal with on a daily basis are gay or not. Not all gays fit your biased stereotype of being swishing sissies.

Get over it.

That is true, not every single one of them are.

It's amazing to me that anyone would force themselves on a business who doesn't want their business.

In this case the lesbian couple had zero respect for the photographers religious beliefs, and instead of simply going elsewhere they chose to force themselves on the photographer.
Fucking pricks.

All they've done is set gay rights back 20 years, and likely made a whole lot of people hate anything to do with gay rights.

Your post, in particular the last two words, about says it all.

The US Supreme court could now, to many people, look like a wimp/scaredy-cat/chicken.

Indeed a backlash wouldn't surprise me. We've been expected to digest quite a bit in just a few short years.

Forum List

Back