Sen Joe McCarthy: American Patriot and Hero

I swear, leftists in an argument remind me of Li'l Abner's granny, shouting, "I has spoken!" all the time. We've already decided what the truth is, and no studying or thinking on history will be done from this point on. We has spoken!!!

Yeah, that's right. Like "thinking" McCarthy is a hero. rofl!

History via Conservapedia beckons.

You see anyone here citing Conservapedia, Brain Trust? You see anyone but you even MENTIONING it? What you've got here is Wikipedia versus historians, bucko, and only liberals think history is carved in stone and never questioned or rethought. On the other hand, they're the same people who think that about science, too, so I shouldn't be surprised.

If by "historians" you mean "ideological revisionists," yeah, I would agree.

The litmus test is fairly simple…and you being equally so, it should appeal to you:
If Senator Joseph McCarthy had such a deleterious effect, and ‘ruined’ so many lives, it should be effortless for you to name a half dozen or so whose lives were so ‘ruined.’

1. If you cannot do so, it clearly casts the lie to your premise.
2. Ruin does not refer to being insulted. You must show actual damages, i.e. imprisoned and later found innocent of the charges or never working again…

Why is it so hard to answer a simple question?

You Progressives no longer control the media or the debate. If you're not lying, you should just answer the question! If you're lying, you won't

It's THAT Simple!

There were many. Here is one.

Waldo Salt.

In 1950, as his THE FLAME AND THE ARROW was showing throughout the country’s theaters, Waldo Salt seemed on his way to being one of Hollywood’s major screenwriters. But, for Salt as for many others, the 1950s meant the stifling of their creative talents by a paranoid and restrictive government. In April of 1951 Salt was called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee — Senator Joseph McCarthy’s brainchild for the investigation of Communist infiltration of America. Though never held in contempt of Congress, like a number of his colleagues, Salt was clearly identified as a card-carrying Communist and blacklisted for many years. Of that time, Salt said, “I wish we had done something to deserve being blacklisted. I wish we’d had that much influence on film or on politics at that time. I think the world might have been different. But we didn’t.”

Throughout the 1950s and early 1960s, Salt wrote primarily for television and commercials. Using a pseudonym, he worked on a number of films, keeping somewhat in touch with the industry, but no longer at the center of it. Though the blacklist had been lifted, much of his life had fallen into ruin. Divorced, and sick with pneumonia and despair, Salt was living in a cheap New York hotel trying to write television scripts. “I ended up at fifty, over-the-hill, thinking I had no future,” Salt explained. “Finally, I realized that I had allowed myself to write less than I could.” According to fellow writer Ian Hunter, “From then on, Waldo approached screenwriting as an artist.”

Waldo Salt - About Waldo Salt | American Masters | PBS

BTW, the extremist conservative revisionists don't get to define "ruin." I'll take the word of the people who were the targets, not those of the people trying to redefine the world based on their own ideology.

I'll post a few more later.

How about the relying on the English language: ruin

1.•an irrecoverable state of devastation and destruction;

2. •destroy: destroy completely; damage irreparably;

Based on the above, a shill for mass murder, including the starvation of men, women and children who wouldn's give up all of their posessions to some totalitarian ideology and had to (gasp!) stoop to "Using a pseudonym, he worked on a number of films..." paid far too little a price.

Now, to the case of Salt, in particular, you would look far more intelligent, Canadian or not, if you knew something about the subject before you post...

Senator Joseph McCarthy had nothing to do with HUAC...he was in the Senate.

And your source is as knowledgeable as you are: "In April of 1951 Salt was called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee — Senator Joseph McCarthy’s brainchild for the investigation of Communist infiltration of America."

The HUAC was established in 1937; Senator McCarthy began serving in 1947. He must have formed same ten years before he was elected....another indication of the greatness of the Senator!

"Hollywood Blacklisting had nothing to do with McCarthy. The ‘Hollywood Ten’ were called before the HUAC in 1947. McCarthy had just been elected to the Senate, and the Alger Hiss exposure, indictment and conviction occurred before McCarthy made his famous 1950 speech in Wheeling, West Virginia, before McCarthy did any investigating of Hollywood. When anti-communism took its toll in Hollywood, the blacklisting took the “deadly” form of not having ones name in the credits, or living in Paris, or not being able to sell a teleplay for as much as three years. This for folks who had no problem with Ukrainian farmers and their children eating their shoes."
Ann Coulter.

"Claiming to have been “blacklisted” is Hollywood’s version of coming over on the Mayflower."
Ann Coulter

Ruined...?

Breathlessly, I await your promise: "I'll post a few more later."

You see anyone here citing Conservapedia, Brain Trust? You see anyone but you even MENTIONING it? What you've got here is Wikipedia versus historians, bucko, and only liberals think history is carved in stone and never questioned or rethought. On the other hand, they're the same people who think that about science, too, so I shouldn't be surprised.

So let's see what you all are agreeing to...the ruination of Waldo Salt?

"As a Communist Salt was sure that he understood the road map to a better future, and so he was basically optimistic. He was convinced that he was riding the wave of the future. In 1956, he heard Nikita Khrushchev explain the atrocities that occurred in Russia under Stalin. He had accepted the blacklisting, but now everything he believed in seemed to collapse. Communism had been his answer to the evil in the world. Now Communism itself proved to be evil too. "
Waldo Pressman Salt - American film-maker and Idealist

So, your evidence supported the mass extermination of millions and then said 'oops!.'

Now, let's see how ruination looks:
1937 The Bride Wore Red Adaptation, uncredited
1938 The Shopworn Angel Screenplay
1939 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Dialogue, uncredited
1940 The Philadelphia Story Uncredited
1941 The Wild Man of Borneo Screenplay
1943 Tonight We Raid Calais
1944 Mr. Winkle Goes to War Alternative title: Arms and the Woman
1948 Rachel and the Stranger Screenplay
1950 The Flame and the Arrow
1951 M Additional dialogue
1961 Blast of Silence Narration written by, credited as Mel Davenport
1962 Taras Bulba
1964 Flight from Ashiya Alternative title: Ashiya kara no hiko
Wild and Wonderful
1969 Midnight Cowboy Screenplay
1971 The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Alternative title: The Gang That Couldn't Shoot
1973 Serpico Screenplay
1975 The Day of the Locust Screenplay
1978 Coming Home
Television
Year Title Notes
1955 Star Stage 1 episode
1956 Colonel March of Scotland Yard 2 episodes
1958 Swiss Family Robinson Television movie, credited as Mel Davenport
Ivanhoe 4 episodes
1961 Tallahassee 7000 1 episode
1964 Espionage 1 episode
1965 The Nurses 1 episode
1967 Coronet Blue 1 episode

[edit] Awards and nominations
Year Award Result Category Film or series
1949 Writers Guild of America Award Nominated Best Written American Western Rachel and the Stranger
1970 Won Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium Midnight Cowboy
1974 Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1979 Best Drama Written Directly for the Screen Coming Home (Shared with Robert C. Jones)
1986 Laurel Award for Screen Writing Achievement -
1970 Academy Award Won Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Midnight Cowboy
1974 Nominated Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1979 Won Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen Coming Home (Shared with Nancy Dowd and Robert C. Jones)
1970 BAFTA Award Won Best Screenplay Midnight Cowboy
1974 Edgar Allan Poe Awards Nominated Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1970 Golden Globe Award Nominated Best Screenplay Midnight Cowboy
1979 Best Screenplay - Motion Picture Coming Home (Shared with Robert C. Jones)
[show]v • d • eAcademy Award for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Abby Mann (1961) · Horton Foote (1962) · John Osborne (1963) · Edward Anhalt (1964) · Robert Bolt (1965) · Robert Bolt (1966) · Stirling Silliphant (1967) · James Goldman (1968) · Waldo Salt (1969) · Ring Lardner, Jr. (1970) · Ernest Tidyman (1971) · Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo (1972) · William Peter Blatty (1973) · Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo (1974) · Bo Goldman and Laurence Hauben (1975) · William Goldman (1976) · Alvin Sargent (1977) · Oliver Stone (1978) · Robert Benton (1979) · Alvin Sargent (1980)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Complete List · (1928–1940) · (1941–1960) · (1961–1980) · (1981–2000) · (2001–present)

[show]v • d • eAcademy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) 1970–1979

Francis Ford Coppola and Edmund H. North (1970) · Paddy Chayefsky (1971) · Jeremy Larner (1972) · David S. Ward (1973) · Robert Towne (1974) · Frank Pierson (1975) · Paddy Chayefsky (1976) · Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman (1977) · Robert C. Jones, Waldo Salt and Nancy Dowd (1978) · Steve Tesich (1979)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1940–1949) · (1950–1959) · (1960–1969) · (1970–1979) · (1980–1989) · (1990–1999) · (2000–2009)

[show]v • d • eBAFTA Award for Best Screenplay
Waldo Salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excellent job, Toro!

I'll bet lots of us hope to be so ruined.

Your position is untenable logically and philosophically, PC, but it is fun to watch you twist in the wind.

I swear, leftists in an argument remind me of Li'l Abner's granny, shouting, "I has spoken!" all the time. We've already decided what the truth is, and no studying or thinking on history will be done from this point on. We has spoken!!!

I am aconservative Republican.
Hasn't anyone, SOMEONE, in your own family taken you aside and politely pointed out and informed you how stupid you look when you make such absurd claims?
My family went through this,lived it and saw first hand. My uncle was a B-17 pilot in WWII,not a communis and your drunken hero labeled him as one.
Without any proof.
But dumbass ideologues like you never require proof. And that is exactly the reason we fight you and will always continue to show everyone how much of a fool you are.
In the end we will destroy you as usual.
And you claim to be a conservative???:cuckoo:
Scary shit there. You do not even know what a conservative is.

Dullard73...

Again, the easily-led brigade fails to ascertain truth, and bathes in a warm bath of liberal mythology…

The litmus test is fairly simple…and you being equally so, it should appeal to you:
If Senator Joseph McCarthy had such a deleterious effect, and ‘ruined’ so many lives, it should be effortless for you to name a half dozen or so whose lives were so ‘ruined.’

2. Ruin does not refer to being insulted. You must show actual damages, i.e. imprisoned and later found innocent of the charges or never working again…

You continuosly claim that we "fail to ascertain the truth" without offering ANY evidence or facts of your own.
How original.
Where is the definition of "ruin" "imprisoned and later found innocent or never working again"?
Where? Only in your warped mind.
All you offer is rank hearsay and I will inform you of the definition of that also as that is also 20 feet over your head.
Wham it zero on set. EP team ready on line.

Your position is untenable logically and philosophically, PC, but it is fun to watch you twist in the wind.

Jakey, You’re so batty that you must sleep upside down…

I understand this post as a face-saving device, but don't you realize how unnecessary it is: you have no reputation to save!

I am aconservative Republican.
Hasn't anyone, SOMEONE, in your own family taken you aside and politely pointed out and informed you how stupid you look when you make such absurd claims?
My family went through this,lived it and saw first hand. My uncle was a B-17 pilot in WWII,not a communis and your drunken hero labeled him as one.
Without any proof.
But dumbass ideologues like you never require proof. And that is exactly the reason we fight you and will always continue to show everyone how much of a fool you are.
In the end we will destroy you as usual.
And you claim to be a conservative???:cuckoo:
Scary shit there. You do not even know what a conservative is.

Dullard73...

Again, the easily-led brigade fails to ascertain truth, and bathes in a warm bath of liberal mythology…

You continuosly claim that we "fail to ascertain the truth" without offering ANY evidence or facts of your own.
How original.
Where is the definition of "ruin" "imprisoned and later found innocent or never working again"?
Where? Only in your warped mind.
All you offer is rank hearsay and I will inform you of the definition of that also as that is also 20 feet over your head.
Wham it zero on set. EP team ready on line.

Dully, are you trying to change the subject yet again???

Not everyone has the attention deficit that you have:

Here, let me help:

Please...not Uncle Billy again.

You Progressives no longer control the media or the debate. If you're not lying, you should just answer the question! If you're lying, you won't

It's THAT Simple!

Waldo Salt.

In 1950, as his THE FLAME AND THE ARROW was showing throughout the country’s theaters, Waldo Salt seemed on his way to being one of Hollywood’s major screenwriters. But, for Salt as for many others, the 1950s meant the stifling of their creative talents by a paranoid and restrictive government. In April of 1951 Salt was called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee — Senator Joseph McCarthy’s brainchild for the investigation of Communist infiltration of America. Though never held in contempt of Congress, like a number of his colleagues, Salt was clearly identified as a card-carrying Communist and blacklisted for many years. Of that time, Salt said, “I wish we had done something to deserve being blacklisted. I wish we’d had that much influence on film or on politics at that time. I think the world might have been different. But we didn’t.”

Throughout the 1950s and early 1960s, Salt wrote primarily for television and commercials. Using a pseudonym, he worked on a number of films, keeping somewhat in touch with the industry, but no longer at the center of it. Though the blacklist had been lifted, much of his life had fallen into ruin. Divorced, and sick with pneumonia and despair, Salt was living in a cheap New York hotel trying to write television scripts. “I ended up at fifty, over-the-hill, thinking I had no future,” Salt explained. “Finally, I realized that I had allowed myself to write less than I could.” According to fellow writer Ian Hunter, “From then on, Waldo approached screenwriting as an artist.”

BTW, the extremist conservative revisionists don't get to define "ruin." I'll take the word of the people who were the targets, not those of the people trying to redefine the world based on their own ideology.

Really? So are you going to take the word of Trent Lott, or is this "people who were targets" deal a one-way ratchet?

And Waldo Salt was investigated by the HUAC, you drooling, blithering, pathetic leftist excuse for a warm-blooded mammal. We're talking about SENATOR McCarthy, who never served in the House.

Epic fucking fail. You should be banned just for being such a sucking black hole of ignorance that you lower the IQ of humanity with every breath you inhale. My God, I'm embarrassed to share the same species with you at this point.

At this point, in talking to a drooling skid mark in the jockey shorts like you, "historian" would mean "Anyone who isn't so fucking moronic that he believes McCarthy was responsible for the HUAC."

Tell us some more about the eee-vils of "ideological revisionists" who want to rewrite history to suit their own agenda, you hypocritical wad of dog phlegm.

Better yet, get the fuck off my screen. There are invertebrates squirming in tide pools who are more worthy of serious consideration than you are. FLUSH!

It's THAT Simple!

Waldo Salt.

Really? So are you going to take the word of Trent Lott, or is this "people who were targets" deal a one-way ratchet?

And Waldo Salt was investigated by the HUAC, you drooling, blithering, pathetic leftist excuse for a warm-blooded mammal. We're talking about SENATOR McCarthy, who never served in the House.

Epic fucking fail. You should be banned just for being such a sucking black hole of ignorance that you lower the IQ of humanity with every breath you inhale. My God, I'm embarrassed to share the same species with you at this point.

Cecilie, you really really really went overboard on the poor Canadian!

The UN is going to cite you for excessive use of force!

I'm only about 35 pages into M. Stanton Evans "Blacklisted by History" and I am livid at the utter gall and tremendous scope of the Leftist outright lies.

Did you know that many of the original documents that McCarthy based his campaign on are missing?

As recently as March 1993 someone, we don't know who

sandy_berger.jpg

went into the US National Archives and took the Klaus Memo, a 1946 memo by a State Department official Samuel Klaus implicating Alger Hiss and many others as Communist spies?

What better example exists then the words of CrusaderFrank as evidence that the RW fringe of American politics is built on a foundation of lies, half-truths and hyperbole?
I suspect most of us thought when reading "1984" in the 8th grade that a Ministry of Truth was fiction, and no population would be stupid enough to believe propaganda which contradicted their own experience.
Today maybe 20% of our population are that stupid, they accept the most outragious lies and historical spins as truth and never critically examine the platitudes upon which the current 'conservative' message is built.
Real conservatives are fiscally responsible and value tradition but embrace change which is slow and fully vetted. Today's 'conservative' are in reality the Reactionaries of the past.

I broke out your post syllogistically and it translates as follows:

Blah blah blah I'm too fucking ignorant to read and understand what Frank wrote or why having key documents lifted from the National Archives might matter so, like every other Progressive who cannot debate on the merits, I'm going launch into a scathing 4th grade attack on Frank.

Please don't let this discourage you from "Debating" as I chalk up every Progressive non-answer on McCarthy, FDR's economic "greatness" and the Dems Tuskegee Experiments as a victory.

I'm only about 35 pages into M. Stanton Evans "Blacklisted by History" and I am livid at the utter gall and tremendous scope of the Leftist outright lies.

Did you know that many of the original documents that McCarthy based his campaign on are missing?

As recently as March 1993 someone, we don't know who

sandy_berger.jpg

went into the US National Archives and took the Klaus Memo, a 1946 memo by a State Department official Samuel Klaus implicating Alger Hiss and many others as Communist spies?

What better example exists then the words of CrusaderFrank as evidence that the RW fringe of American politics is built on a foundation of lies, half-truths and hyperbole?
I suspect most of us thought when reading "1984" in the 8th grade that a Ministry of Truth was fiction, and no population would be stupid enough to believe propaganda which contradicted their own experience.
Today maybe 20% of our population are that stupid, they accept the most outragious lies and historical spins as truth and never critically examine the platitudes upon which the current 'conservative' message is built.
Real conservatives are fiscally responsible and value tradition but embrace change which is slow and fully vetted. Today's 'conservative' are in reality the Reactionaries of the past.

And still we wait for you to DEMONSTRATE how we're wrong, rather than just superciliously stating that "everyone knows" we're wrong.

What part of "you're not defining the debate anymore" don't you understand, mouthbreather? The more you declare a victory before the battle you're too chickenshit to fight, the more obvious it becomes that you're armed with blanks.

You are wrong. It has been proved. You simply don't get it, and that is your problem, Cecilie.

Waldo Salt.

The UN is welcome to go fuck itself on the dunce stool in the corner right next to Toro, for much the same reasons.

The name is "My uncle was a B-17 pilot..."?????

You truly give dullards a bad name....

You show yourself to be an ideological idiot who is unable to read a thread. He already responded to you with a name:

William Harold Walker Jr., my uncle.
How old are you chic? You obviously do not know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit on this matter.
ANYONE and EVERYONE labeled a communist during those stages of the Cold War was ruined professionally unless they came from family $.
If you do not know that ole Tail Gunner was a fraud you are either too young to remember or too stupid to know any better.
Or both.

Every time a Progressive provides a non-answer, Joe McCarthy gets another feather in his wings

The UN is welcome to go fuck itself on the dunce stool in the corner right next to Toro, for much the same reasons.

Now, now...let's give credit where credit is due:

WryBread, Junky, Toro, JakeStinky, Dullard, ...
It’s the axis of Evel Keneval…

See how smart they make us look!

The name is "My uncle was a B-17 pilot..."?????

You truly give dullards a bad name....

You show yourself to be an ideological idiot who is unable to read a thread. He already responded to you with a name:

William Harold Walker Jr., my uncle.
How old are you chic? You obviously do not know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit on this matter.
ANYONE and EVERYONE labeled a communist during those stages of the Cold War was ruined professionally unless they came from family $.
If you do not know that ole Tail Gunner was a fraud you are either too young to remember or too stupid to know any better.
Or both.

I googled the name with 'blacklisted,' and "senator McCarthy.'

There is no such reference.

You try, see if you find same...

How about the relying on the English language: ruin

1.•an irrecoverable state of devastation and destruction;

2. •destroy: destroy completely; damage irreparably;

Based on the above, a shill for mass murder, including the starvation of men, women and children who wouldn's give up all of their posessions to some totalitarian ideology and had to (gasp!) stoop to "Using a pseudonym, he worked on a number of films..." paid far too little a price.

Now, to the case of Salt, in particular, you would look far more intelligent, Canadian or not, if you knew something about the subject before you post...

Senator Joseph McCarthy had nothing to do with HUAC...he was in the Senate.

And your source is as knowledgeable as you are: "In April of 1951 Salt was called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee — Senator Joseph McCarthy’s brainchild for the investigation of Communist infiltration of America."

The HUAC was established in 1937; Senator McCarthy began serving in 1947. He must have formed same ten years before he was elected....another indication of the greatness of the Senator!

Yes, yes, I made a mistake. I mixed up the man with "McCarthyism," a term HE embraced at the time.

"Hollywood Blacklisting had nothing to do with McCarthy. The ‘Hollywood Ten’ were called before the HUAC in 1947. McCarthy had just been elected to the Senate, and the Alger Hiss exposure, indictment and conviction occurred before McCarthy made his famous 1950 speech in Wheeling, West Virginia, before McCarthy did any investigating of Hollywood. When anti-communism took its toll in Hollywood, the blacklisting took the “deadly” form of not having ones name in the credits, or living in Paris, or not being able to sell a teleplay for as much as three years. This for folks who had no problem with Ukrainian farmers and their children eating their shoes."
Ann Coulter.

"Claiming to have been “blacklisted” is Hollywood’s version of coming over on the Mayflower."
Ann Coulter

Ruined...?

Breathlessly, I await your promise: "I'll post a few more later."

Being blacklisted was serious business in the 1950s. It meant that many of those on the list couldn't get work or had to write under pseudonyms.

Let's ask Richard Nixon, who was Vice President of the time, what he and the administration thought about McCarthyism in 1954.

"Men who have in the past done effective work exposing Communists in this country have, by reckless talk and questionable methods, made themselves the issue rather than the cause they believe in so deeply."

McCarthyism

Yes, an American hero and patriot.

And here you are, defending him.

At this point, in talking to a drooling skid mark in the jockey shorts like you, "historian" would mean "Anyone who isn't so fucking moronic that he believes McCarthy was responsible for the HUAC."

Tell us some more about the eee-vils of "ideological revisionists" who want to rewrite history to suit their own agenda, you hypocritical wad of dog phlegm.

Better yet, get the fuck off my screen. There are invertebrates squirming in tide pools who are more worthy of serious consideration than you are. FLUSH!

I couldn't give a flying fuck what you think, you stupid conservatard hack bitch. Extremists like yourself never exit your ideological circle jerk. Go beat a homeless person. You'll feel better.

And wasn't it you that was telling me how homeless people in America have better medical care than everyone else anywhere else in the world, or was that some other un-evolved conservatard? Yeah, "revisionism."

Forum List

Back