Sen Joe McCarthy: American Patriot and Hero

PC

I'm going to put the last part of your post first.

Salt was called to testify in 1951.

Now, let's see how ruination looks:
1937 The Bride Wore Red Adaptation, uncredited
1938 The Shopworn Angel Screenplay
1939 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Dialogue, uncredited
1940 The Philadelphia Story Uncredited
1941 The Wild Man of Borneo Screenplay
1943 Tonight We Raid Calais
1944 Mr. Winkle Goes to War Alternative title: Arms and the Woman
1948 Rachel and the Stranger Screenplay
1950 The Flame and the Arrow
1951 M Additional dialogue

1961 Blast of Silence Narration written by, credited as Mel Davenport
1962 Taras Bulba
1964 Flight from Ashiya Alternative title: Ashiya kara no hiko
Wild and Wonderful
1969 Midnight Cowboy Screenplay
1971 The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Alternative title: The Gang That Couldn't Shoot
1973 Serpico Screenplay
1975 The Day of the Locust Screenplay
1978 Coming Home
Television
Year Title Notes
1955 Star Stage 1 episode
1956 Colonel March of Scotland Yard 2 episodes
1958 Swiss Family Robinson Television movie, credited as Mel Davenport
Ivanhoe 4 episodes
1961 Tallahassee 7000 1 episode
1964 Espionage 1 episode
1965 The Nurses 1 episode
1967 Coronet Blue 1 episode

See all the movies he did 10 years after he testified?

And

[edit] Awards and nominations
Year Award Result Category Film or series
1949 Writers Guild of America Award Nominated Best Written American Western Rachel and the Stranger

1970 Won Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium Midnight Cowboy
1974 Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1979 Best Drama Written Directly for the Screen Coming Home (Shared with Robert C. Jones)
1986 Laurel Award for Screen Writing Achievement -
1970 Academy Award Won Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Midnight Cowboy
1974 Nominated Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1979 Won Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen Coming Home (Shared with Nancy Dowd and Robert C. Jones)
1970 BAFTA Award Won Best Screenplay Midnight Cowboy
1974 Edgar Allan Poe Awards Nominated Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1970 Golden Globe Award Nominated Best Screenplay Midnight Cowboy
1979 Best Screenplay - Motion Picture Coming Home (Shared with Robert C. Jones)
[show]v • d • eAcademy Award for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

I'll bet lots of us hope to be so ruined.

So, you'd have no problem with someone denying you of your livelihood for over a decade?

So let's see what you all are agreeing to...the ruination of Waldo Salt?

"As a Communist Salt was sure that he understood the road map to a better future, and so he was basically optimistic. He was convinced that he was riding the wave of the future. In 1956, he heard Nikita Khrushchev explain the atrocities that occurred in Russia under Stalin. He had accepted the blacklisting, but now everything he believed in seemed to collapse. Communism had been his answer to the evil in the world. Now Communism itself proved to be evil too. "
Waldo Pressman Salt - American film-maker and Idealist

So, your evidence supported the mass extermination of millions and then said 'oops!.'

In the 1930s, a sizable minority of Americans supported fascism and Nazism, including Charles Lindbergh. They played down the violence and racism of the Nazis, saying it was overblown while extolling the virtues of Hitler. Needless to say, Nazism wasn't so popular a few years later.

The name is "My uncle was a B-17 pilot..."?????

You truly give dullards a bad name....

You show yourself to be an ideological idiot who is unable to read a thread. He already responded to you with a name:

William Harold Walker Jr., my uncle.
How old are you chic? You obviously do not know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit on this matter.
ANYONE and EVERYONE labeled a communist during those stages of the Cold War was ruined professionally unless they came from family $.
If you do not know that ole Tail Gunner was a fraud you are either too young to remember or too stupid to know any better.
Or both.

I googled the name with 'blacklisted,' and "senator McCarthy.'

There is no such reference.

You try, see if you find same...

What?! You mean you're not going to just take his word for it?! :eek:

PC

I'm going to put the last part of your post first.

Salt was called to testify in 1951.

Now, let's see how ruination looks:
1937 The Bride Wore Red Adaptation, uncredited
1938 The Shopworn Angel Screenplay
1939 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Dialogue, uncredited
1940 The Philadelphia Story Uncredited
1941 The Wild Man of Borneo Screenplay
1943 Tonight We Raid Calais
1944 Mr. Winkle Goes to War Alternative title: Arms and the Woman
1948 Rachel and the Stranger Screenplay
1950 The Flame and the Arrow
1951 M Additional dialogue

1961 Blast of Silence Narration written by, credited as Mel Davenport
1962 Taras Bulba
1964 Flight from Ashiya Alternative title: Ashiya kara no hiko
Wild and Wonderful
1969 Midnight Cowboy Screenplay
1971 The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Alternative title: The Gang That Couldn't Shoot
1973 Serpico Screenplay
1975 The Day of the Locust Screenplay
1978 Coming Home
Television
Year Title Notes
1955 Star Stage 1 episode
1956 Colonel March of Scotland Yard 2 episodes
1958 Swiss Family Robinson Television movie, credited as Mel Davenport
Ivanhoe 4 episodes
1961 Tallahassee 7000 1 episode
1964 Espionage 1 episode
1965 The Nurses 1 episode
1967 Coronet Blue 1 episode

See all the movies he did 10 years after he testified?

And

[edit] Awards and nominations
Year Award Result Category Film or series
1949 Writers Guild of America Award Nominated Best Written American Western Rachel and the Stranger

1970 Won Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium Midnight Cowboy
1974 Best Drama Adapted from Another Medium Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1979 Best Drama Written Directly for the Screen Coming Home (Shared with Robert C. Jones)
1986 Laurel Award for Screen Writing Achievement -
1970 Academy Award Won Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Midnight Cowboy
1974 Nominated Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1979 Won Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen Coming Home (Shared with Nancy Dowd and Robert C. Jones)
1970 BAFTA Award Won Best Screenplay Midnight Cowboy
1974 Edgar Allan Poe Awards Nominated Serpico (Shared with Norman Wexler)
1970 Golden Globe Award Nominated Best Screenplay Midnight Cowboy
1979 Best Screenplay - Motion Picture Coming Home (Shared with Robert C. Jones)
[show]v • d • eAcademy Award for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

I'll bet lots of us hope to be so ruined.

So, you'd have no problem with someone denying you of your livelihood for over a decade?

So let's see what you all are agreeing to...the ruination of Waldo Salt?

"As a Communist Salt was sure that he understood the road map to a better future, and so he was basically optimistic. He was convinced that he was riding the wave of the future. In 1956, he heard Nikita Khrushchev explain the atrocities that occurred in Russia under Stalin. He had accepted the blacklisting, but now everything he believed in seemed to collapse. Communism had been his answer to the evil in the world. Now Communism itself proved to be evil too. "
Waldo Pressman Salt - American film-maker and Idealist

So, your evidence supported the mass extermination of millions and then said 'oops!.'

In the 1930s, a sizable minority of Americans supported fascism and Nazism, including Charles Lindbergh. They played down the violence and racism of the Nazis, saying it was overblown while extolling the virtues of Hitler. Needless to say, Nazism wasn't so popular a few years later.

First, and most significnt, our member, Toro, has by admitting an error, done a great deal in restoring my faith in ...to be eschatological, ...mankind.

I appreciate it greatly.

1. The ten year lapse has no relevance, as he, simply, "had to write under pseudonyms."

2. I have studied the period in great detail. And have regularly posted about the origins of progressivism and its debt to fascism. While your statement re: progressives were enthralled with fascism and Nazism, you fail to include communism.

All of the totalist views were embraced. Revelations of the Holocaust soured most on Nazism, but many simply re-emphasized communism, making excuses for its murderous ideology, and attacking those, i.e. Senator McCarthy who exposed the connections.

"The American elites, including much of FDR’s ‘Brain Trust’ made the pilgrimage to Moscow and spoke glowingly of the Soviet experiment. The economist and originator of the expression ‘New Deal,’ explained how, in the Soviet Union the all-caring state “was informed by battalions of statistics” and led by Communist Party officials who need “no further incentive than the burning zeal to create a new heaven and a new earth which flames in the breast of every good Communist.” Lewis S. Feuer, “American Travelers in the Soviet Union, 1917-1932” American Quarterly 14, no. 2, pt. 1, Summer 1962.

Lincoln Steffens, journalist, lecturer, and political philosopher, muckraker, famously said of the Soviet Union in 1921: "I have been over into the future, and it works." And he said much the same about Fascist Italy. He, like other Progressives, considered the ‘experimentation’ all the same, as in ‘the Russian-Italian method.’

John Reed, best remembered for his first-hand account of the Bolshevik Revolution, Ten Days that Shook the World, explained how meaningless was the ‘Red Terror,’ and mass murder of non- Bolsheviks. “To the wall with them I say! ‘Razstrellyat!’(execute by shooting). Herbert Croly excused the atrocities by comparing same to the American Civil War, which was necessary to exterminate slavery. So, slavery and capitalism are the same…

One can hear he same echoes today, in the rants of the Left.

3. "So, you'd have no problem with someone denying you of your livelihood for over a decade?"
Context is everything.

If I espoused a murderous ideology which has been responsible for over 100 Million deaths during the last century, and aided and supported attempts to advance same at the expense of my fellow citizens, then "denying you of your livelihood" should, correctly, be the least of my debt.

In the interest of full disclosure, I espouse no such view.

The name is "My uncle was a B-17 pilot..."?????

You truly give dullards a bad name....

You show yourself to be an ideological idiot who is unable to read a thread. He already responded to you with a name:

William Harold Walker Jr., my uncle.
How old are you chic? You obviously do not know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit on this matter.
ANYONE and EVERYONE labeled a communist during those stages of the Cold War was ruined professionally unless they came from family $.
If you do not know that ole Tail Gunner was a fraud you are either too young to remember or too stupid to know any better.
Or both.

You previously claimed those lists were false as "no one was ruined".
So you went to the sources that you previously claimed as invalid to now use as your evidence.:cuckoo:
You are so stupid, naive and gullible that you believe everyone McCarthy blacklisted is on some internet site.
You are a dunce chic. I prepare court cases for trial in my work. You would not last 5 minutes in my world.
I hope you are never picked to serve on a jury. My uncle is dead. Thousands of people were persecuted and labeled as communists and never listed on any site.
Your type believes you can Google "Jews persecuted in south Florida 1910-1950" and get a complete list.
I always thought you were a bufoon. Your ignorance has proved it WAD.

Do you really believe everyone persecuted and labeled as a communist by McCarthy and his goons is on some internet list?
Are you that stupid? MOST tried their best to run from that persecution.
You must be young and dumb also.
Never forget is what we learned.

There is something needed to be made clear. I enjoy a good political football as much as anyone. That said ... Some here from the OP to PC and others feel that anything is acceptable as a chance to "adjust" history for their hack purposes. I was alive and aware of the McCarthy hearings at the time they occured. Yes I was young..but I actually saw them. My family was GOP back several generations before me. IKE was a bonified certified hero. Not like the so-called heros paraded around by today's republicans. Eisenhower despised McCarthy and that is all I need to know. All this Johnnie come lately re-writing of events I witnessed is bad enough...when you tread on the memory of one of the finest human beings this country has had the good fortune to know, someone that led us to victory in WWII and on into his presidency, you do a serious disservice to our country.

I for one will fight you..any of you ...till the end of fuckin time on this particular issue.

You have crossed a line on this. Pick another hero. McCarthy was an evil snake. Period.

My uncle was a B-17 pilot in WWII,not a communis and your drunken hero labeled him as one.
Without any proof.

What was your uncle's name? If he was so labeled by McCarthy, then that should be public information and provable in that public record.

This is different from your other claims, which were people who were not your family members.
And nothing of what you've said so far in this and other threads is provable on this subject, but instead is just hearsay.

Any actions by the House Unamerican Activities Committee attributed to McCarthy fall into that category of "hearsay."

Your claim of flouride likewise only has a hearsay connection. What you said:

Gadawg said: " If you do not know that Joe McCarthy stated himself that vaccinations, fluoridation of water and the government funding mental health clinic then you are in denial. He said it and that is documented fact. "

Hearsay definition: " Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor. 2. Law Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness ... "

Last edited:
Huggy is right. The only "litmus test" is to demonstrate that McCarthy was not an evil political prick intent on political glory despite the good of the country. This characterizes the overwhelming amount of McCarthy's work: "Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor."

Eisenhower hated him.

Republicans correctly destroyed him.

End of story.

Last edited:
"Certainly, he is a controversial man. He is earnest and he is honest. He has enemies. Whenever you attack subversives of any kind...you are going to be a victim of the most extremely vicious criticism that can be made." -- J Edgar Hoover, as quoted in "Blacklisted by History" and found in Executive Session of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the Committee on Governmental Operations 1953-1954 (released to the public 2003)

Huggy is right. The only "litmus test" is to demonstrate that McCarthy was not an evil political prick intent on political glory despite the good of the country. This characterizes the overwhelming amount of McCarthy's work: "Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor."

Eisenhower hated him.

Republicans correctly destroyed him.

End of story.

No fucker! NO!

It's not the end of the story because Progressives say so! Those days are gone!

Information keeps coming out about what really happened and with each release we see more and more that if anything McCarthy vastly and tragically UNDERSTATED the problem of Communist infiltration of the US government.

I'll keep posting facts, you keep begging to end the debate because you say or or Ike said so or Huggy said so and I'm not going anywhere!

This is personal for me too.

There is something needed to be made clear. I enjoy a good political football as much as anyone. That said ... Some here from the OP to PC and others feel that anything is acceptable as a chance to "adjust" history for their hack purposes. I was alive and aware of the McCarthy hearings at the time they occured. Yes I was young..but I actually saw them. My family was GOP back several generations before me. IKE was a bonified certified hero. Not like the so-called heros paraded around by today's republicans. Eisenhower despised McCarthy and that is all I need to know. All this Johnnie come lately re-writing of events I witnessed is bad enough...when you tread on the memory of one of the finest human beings this country has had the good fortune to know, someone that led us to victory in WWII and on into his presidency, you do a serious disservice to our country.

I for one will fight you..any of you ...till the end of fuckin time on this particular issue.

You have crossed a line on this. Pick another hero. McCarthy was an evil snake. Period.

Stop the reflexive hatred and take the time to read what's been posted starting with source material vanishing from the National Archives.

That's debating.

You indeed were young. In a comment you made earlier in this thread, quote: " my enrollment in kindergarten in Lake Forest Park elementary, Seattle 1955-59." tells us your congnizance of the events at the end of McCarthy's senate career which were broadcast on tv the summer of 1954 leading up to his censure were when you were something like 4 or 5 years of age. My impressions came from watching the same hearings at age 14.

I came away with a somewhat different impression than did you. By the time I graduated high-school, and enlisted in the Marine Corps, the term "McCarthyism" had not become so imbedded in the popular culture as it now is. That has been an ongoing process, made more effective by McCarthy's timely death as an alcoholic.

I was young, yes, but the impression I came away with was of one lone man, calm and reasonable in his presentation, taking on a system, which had been caught with it's pants down, and you dare not catch the highest levels of government with their pants down.

A lot of the "crimes" claimed to have been committed here by McCarthy have no basis in fact; they simply fail the test of documentation. Otherwise what we are seeing are emotional arguments, not rational ones.

Last edited:

Do you really believe everyone persecuted and labeled as a communist by McCarthy and his goons is on some internet list?

Solomon Adler

My uncle was a B-17 pilot in WWII,not a communis and your drunken hero labeled him as one.
Without any proof.

What was your uncle's name? If he was so labeled by McCarthy, then that should be public information and provable in that public record.

This is different from your other claims, which were people who were not your family members.
And nothing of what you've said so far in this and other threads is provable on this subject, but instead is just hearsay.

Any actions by the House Unamerican Activities Committee attributed to McCarthy fall into that category of "hearsay."

Gadawg said: " If you do not know that Joe McCarthy stated himself that vaccinations, fluoridation of water and the government funding mental health clinic then you are in denial. He said it and that is documented fact. "

Hearsay definition: " Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor. 2. Law Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness ... "

You are dumb as a box of rocks. THOUSANDS of people were labeled communists by that committee and their minions everywhere all over America. Only a small fraction of them were on any list.
I am old enough to remember Tail Gunner Joe, his drunken ways and his lies.
McCarthy did state that about fluoride. You are in serious denial. The man was a fraud.

I M with U Huggy. I will line it up and fight anyone on this issue also.
Sad fact is that what we have here are a bunch of milk weak fools that have never crossed the lines ever at anything. They believe an entertainment talking head bleached blonde skinny whorre over a decorated veteran that became President.
Anyone and everyone that supports Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy is a traitor and deserves to have their milk weak ass whipped.

Without any proof.

You are dumb as a box of rocks. THOUSANDS of people were labeled communists by that committee and their minions everywhere all over America. Only a small fraction of them were on any list.
McCarthy did state that about fluoride. You are in serious denial. The man was a fraud.

McCarthy said what about fluoride?

When you blow up on this are you at least willing to listen to what's come out recently?

I M with U Huggy. I will line it up and fight anyone on this issue also.
Sad fact is that what we have here are a bunch of milk weak fools that have never crossed the lines ever at anything. They believe an entertainment talking head bleached blonde skinny whorre over a decorated veteran that became President.
Anyone and everyone that supports Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy is a traitor and deserves to have their milk weak ass whipped.

Once more: Solomon Adler

You indeed were young. In a comment you made earlier in this thread, quote: " my enrollment in kindergarten in Lake Forest Park elementary, Seattle 1955-59." tells us your congnizance of the events at the end of McCarthy's senate career which were broadcast on tv the summer of 1954 leading up to his censure were when you were something like 4 or 5 years of age. My impressions came from watching the same hearings at age 14.

I came away with a somewhat different impression than did you. By the time I graduated high-school, and enlisted in the Marine Corps, the term "McCarthyism" had not become so imbedded in the popular culture as it now is. That has been an ongoing process, made more effective by McCarthy's timely death as an alcoholic.

I was young, yes, but the impression I came away with was of one lone man, calm and reasonable in his presentation, taking on a system, which had been caught with it's pants down, and you dare not catch the highest levels of government with their pants down.

A lot of the "crimes" claimed to have been committed here by McCarthy have no basis in fact; they simply fail the test of documentation. Otherwise what we are seeing are emotional arguments, not rational ones.

I wasn't an average 4 year old. I read Websters dictionary cover to cover along with Roget's Thesaurus by 5 without any prompting by my parents. I attended Kings Garden preschool before grade K. entered K early... Perhaps your view of those events was different than mine. All I really got was that Ike was adored in my family and he hated McCarthy. My dad also worked in the movie industry...not Hollywood. He knew many people in the movie industry at the time. I remember him talking with my mom about his friends being under preasure to "turn in" people that had done nothing wrong. He made the movies Boeing used to sell it's commercial and military aircraft. He would bring home 727's and others used in wind tests and let me handle them. It was very cool. I had rebuilt an RCA tube radio pulled from the trash and had my own darkroom at 5. My parents also gave the "gifted" child Huggy a very complete chemistry set at the same age. That they regretted! :lol:

I cannot speak for your experiences. I will not abandon mine.

Solomon Adler

It's always entertaining - and bemusing - to be accused of being stupid and gullible by someone who believes people are going to take his unsubstantiated word for things. :eusa_eh:

THAT COMMITTEE? The House Un-American Activities Committee?

JMcC served as chairman on two senate committees. He was chairman of the "Government Committee on Operations of the Senate," and the "Investigations Subcommittee of the Committee on Expenditures in Executive Departments"
He was questioned in front of the Tydings Committee which had one purpose, to destroy JMcC, and to limit the exposure of government offices with communist agents working in them. They did that by making the claim that he only had the names that had come from the Lee list. He had many more names than those, and with few exceptions they have proven to have been communist agents, working to promote communist not American goals.

PROVE the flouride claim with documentation. At one point you said it was "documented." Show some documentation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back