Senator: GOP bill would be a 'License to hate'

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

More GOP homophobia.

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A bill in the state Legislature to allow business owners to refuse services for same-sex couples would give them a “license to hate,” according to one Senator. But the bill’s sponsor says it protects religious freedoms.

“This is a bill that allows bigotry,” said Sen. Kevin Ranker, D-Orcas Island.

The state of Washington is suing a florist in Richland for refusing to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding. The owner said her religious beliefs prevented her from serving the couple.

Senate Bill 5927 would allow business owners to “deny services” based on an owner’s “religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs or matters of conscience.”

Sorry, folks, homosexuals are a protected class. FAIL :(

Is this part of the "re-branding" effort for the GOP? Writing Homophobic bills in a blue state?

More GOP homophobia.

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A bill in the state Legislature to allow business owners to refuse services for same-sex couples would give them a “license to hate,” according to one Senator. But the bill’s sponsor says it protects religious freedoms.

The state of Washington is suing a florist in Richland for refusing to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding. The owner said her religious beliefs prevented her from serving the couple.

Senate Bill 5927 would allow business owners to “deny services” based on an owner’s “religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs or matters of conscience.”

Is this part of the "re-branding" effort for the GOP? Writing Homophobic bills in a blue state?

Already a thread on this...and youre too pussy to stay here

Forcing your fag beliefs on people is hate

Yet you can discriminate against other choices a person makes (no shoes, no shirt, etc)... why is this any different... that's right, it is a favorite cause...

Look.. in a free society, your freedom to do what you want does not come with the caveat that you get to squelch the freedom of others who may not agree with you.. THIS is exactly what I was talking about with the forced acceptance agenda of the homosexual community... it is not just about inheritance or tax returns or been treated equally by government.. this is about forced acceptance.. and that is against freedoms...

More GOP homophobia.

While I don't condone discriminating against gays, a business owner should be able to refuse service to who ever they want for what ever reason, that is, assuming you believe in the concept of freedom.

More GOP homophobia.

While I don't condone discriminating against gays, a business owner should be able to refuse service to who ever they want for what ever reason, that is, assuming you believe in the concept of freedom.

He does. Every American should be free to have an abortion. That's about the extent of it.

Liberals do not believe in freedom.

End of story.

More GOP homophobia.

More GOP homophobia.

I don't believe in that concept of freedom. Businesses that are open to the public must be open to everyone, or they can be free to shut down and let someone with a more modern worldview do it instead.

I don't believe in that concept of freedom. Businesses that are open to the public must be open to everyone, or they can be free to shut down and let someone with a more modern worldview do it instead.

Does that apply to businesses that refuse to admit men?

You may want to check out "Curves for women".

You have to be kidding me here. It's like the First Amendment doesn't exist here! Its like... man is no longer able to do with his property and his money as he so pleases. A man's business is his second home, apart from his other one. If one cannot establish rules and or policies governing the operation of his own business, then is it really his business anymore? Telling a man to admit everyone regardless of what they believe in is like asking me to let anyone into my house without assessing their character first. Let businesses operate on their own terms, without the undue restraints of some laws being used to force them to serve people the do not wish to. If I have the freedom to give my money to whom I please, a business should be able to take the money of whomever it pleases also. Simple.

EDIT: I will however add, as OrignalShroom pointed out, that the law is the problem as it is being used to tie the hands of small businesses and franchises alike (e.g. Chick-fil-A), so I have amended my post to reflect that.

Last edited:
You have to be kidding me here. It's like the First Amendment doesn't exist here! Its like... man is no longer able to do with his property and his money as he so pleases. A man's business is his second home, apart from his other one. If one cannot establish rules and or policies governing the operation of his own business, then is it really his business anymore? Telling a man to admit everyone regardless of what they believe in is like asking me to let anyone into my house without assessing their character first. Let businesses operate on their own terms, within the bounds of existing law, of course.

The problem is the law. It is being used to force people to do business with those they don't want to.

Unless, as I pointed out earlier, your company is "Curves for Women", then you are allowed to discriminate against men and even advertise that you do.

You have to be kidding me here. It's like the First Amendment doesn't exist here! Its like... man is no longer able to do with his property and his money as he so pleases. A man's business is his second home, apart from his other one. If one cannot establish rules and or policies governing the operation of his own business, then is it really his business anymore? Telling a man to admit everyone regardless of what they believe in is like asking me to let anyone into my house without assessing their character first. Let businesses operate on their own terms, within the bounds of existing law, of course.

The problem is the law. It is being used to force people to do business with those they don't want to.

Unless, as I pointed out earlier, your company is "Curves for Women", then you are allowed to discriminate against men and even advertise that you do.

Well, you do have a point.

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone Because of Appearance, Odor or Attitude?

Like many issues involving constitutional law, the law against discrimination in public accommodations is in a constant state of change. Some argue that anti-discrimination laws in matters of public accommodations create a conflict between the ideal of equality and individual rights. Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations outweighs the individual liberties involved.

You know...you don't hear much about Public Accommodation laws these days...until someone wants to be a dick to the gheys.

More GOP homophobia.

You believe in the concept of freedom that says "You are free to do whatever you are told and that's the extent of your freedom."

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone Because of Appearance, Odor or Attitude?

Like many issues involving constitutional law, the law against discrimination in public accommodations is in a constant state of change. Some argue that anti-discrimination laws in matters of public accommodations create a conflict between the ideal of equality and individual rights. Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations outweighs the individual liberties involved.

You know...you don't hear much about Public Accommodation laws these days...until someone wants to be a dick to the gheys.

Uh what? Should I let a gay person dictate to me whom I will let into my establishment? Should I be shut down because I run my business as I see fit? Should the law be used as a cudgel to force me into unwilling submission? They are free to purchase goods and services from me, but the moment they start being gay, they're gone. I will not expose other patrons to that way of life. If you start politicking me or my patrons without warrant, you're gone.

Simple. I should be free to choose whom I serve and sell my products and services to. End of story.

Last edited:

Uh what? Should I let a gay person dictate to me whom I will let into my establishment? Should I be shut down because I run my business as I see fit? Should the law be used as a cudgel to force me into unwilling submission? They are free to purchase goods and services from me, but the moment they start being gay, they're gone. I will not expose other patrons to that way of life. If you start politicking me or my patrons without warrant, you're gone.

Simple. I should be free to choose whom I serve and sell my products and services to. End of story.

Really? You, being the only grocery store for 50 miles should be able to refuse to sell tomatoes to the queers? How about the only heating oil company in town? Should they be able to refuse to sell heating oil to that Muslim family down the block?

You don't have the right refuse service for any reason. Learn the laws before you break them.

Really? You, being the only grocery store for 50 miles should be able to refuse to sell tomatoes to the queers? How about the only heating oil company in town? Should they be able to refuse to sell heating oil to that Muslim family down the block?

You don't have the right refuse service for any reason. Learn the laws before you break them.

That should be my right. Do you know that you denigrate the people you defend by calling them "queers"?

If I am the only business of my type in town, there's a good bet that I am in no particular town at all. So I should still be able to control what clientele I allow to enter my establishment.

Forum List

Back