Senator: GOP bill would be a 'License to hate'

Selling flowers to grace a same sex wedding is not the equal of selling tomatoes to someone who is gay, is it?
This is the liberal concept of equality.

The answer is really, to use what freedom you still possess. The florist doesn't sell flowers to gays for their wedding. They refuse to sell wedding arrangements to anyone. But, if you know them, or know someone who can recommend your getting a favor, then you can buy a wedding arrangement that's not available to the public. Drive those businesses underground. Word of mouth only. They will still be as busy. They just won't have to bother with incessant demands to do what they don't want to do.

The underground economy is now 2 trillion dollars a year. It's the only part of the economy that's growing. Oppression does that, it forces people to think outside the box.

Uh what? Should I let a gay person dictate to me whom I will let into my establishment? Should I be shut down because I run my business as I see fit? Should the law be used as a cudgel to force me into unwilling submission? They are free to purchase goods and services from me, but the moment they start being gay, they're gone. I will not expose other patrons to that way of life. If you start politicking me or my patrons without warrant, you're gone.

Simple. I should be free to choose whom I serve and sell my products and services to. End of story.

Really? You, being the only grocery store for 50 miles should be able to refuse to sell tomatoes to the queers? How about the only heating oil company in town? Should they be able to refuse to sell heating oil to that Muslim family down the block?

You don't have the right refuse service for any reason. Learn the laws before you break them.

That should be my right. Do you know that you denigrate the people you defend by calling them "queers"?

If I am the only business of my type in town, there's a good bet that I am in no particular town at all. So I should still be able to control what clientele I allow to enter my establishment.

Ah, but the queers get a pass. See, I'm gay so I can say those things.

It isn't your right and you should learn the laws before you break them.

Selling flowers to grace a same sex wedding is not the equal of selling tomatoes to someone who is gay, is it?

It is under the law.

The answer is really, to use what freedom you still possess. The florist doesn't sell flowers to gays for their wedding. They refuse to sell wedding arrangements to anyone. But, if you know them, or know someone who can recommend your getting a favor, then you can buy a wedding arrangement that's not available to the public. Drive those businesses underground. Word of mouth only. They will still be as busy. They just won't have to bother with incessant demands to do what they don't want to do.

But that wasn't the case here was it? If the florist didn't do weddings at all, there would be no lawsuit because there would be no discrimination. She refused this couple and this couple only and under Washington state law, she committed a crime.

More GOP homophobia.

Sorry, folks, homosexuals are a protected class. FAIL :(

Is this part of the "re-branding" effort for the GOP? Writing Homophobic bills in a blue state?

While I don't condone discriminating against gays, a business owner should be able to refuse service to who ever they want for what ever reason, that is, assuming you believe in the concept of freedom.

I don't believe in that concept of freedom. Businesses that are open to the public must be open to everyone, or they can be free to shut down and let someone with a more modern worldview do it instead.

Those with a "modern worldview" couldn't run a lemonade stand.

Girl's lemonade stand shut down - Omaha.com

Well folks, here you have it. Back to 'God, Guns, and Gays'. Tis all the 'Conservatives' understand.

In the meantime, the rest of the nation will continue living in the 21st Century, rather than the 19th.

Well folks, here you have it. Back to 'God, Guns, and Gays'. Tis all the 'Conservatives' understand.

In the meantime, the rest of the nation will continue living in the 21st Century, rather than the 19th.

No, this is about rights - property rights.

Freedom, liberty.

It's about removing government intervention from between two private parties conducting business.

Freedom, liberty.

It's about removing government intervention from between two private parties conducting business.

Is it really? Public accommodation laws have been on the books for decades. These are laws that got rid of whites only lunch counters. How come ya'll haven't been bitching about your "property rights" all these decades?

LOLberals absolutely despise freedom.

They believe homosexuals should be free to harass any business they damned well please.

No, it's about the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation".

LOLberals absolutely despise freedom.

They believe homosexuals should be free to harass any business they damned well please.

No, it's about the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation".

That applies to blacks and other protected minorities. Fags and carpet munchers aren't there yet.

That applies to blacks and other protected minorities. Fags and carpet munchers aren't there yet.

On a Federal level (for now), but states have their own laws. Fags and carpet munchers are there in Washington State.

Freedom, liberty.

Is it really? Public accommodation laws have been on the books for decades. These are laws that got rid of whites only lunch counters. How come ya'll haven't been bitching about your "property rights" all these decades?

Some have. A business owner is just that, the owner. Since we have private means of production and property, it is the right of the owner to discriminate from conducting business with anyone they choose. It's called freedom. Public accomodations should refer solely to public works, not private property. That is where the governments ability to dictate comes in, on public accomodation. A persons private property and means of production are not public. They are open to voluntary exchange from other private individuals. Next you'll tell us that customers MUST purchase from a homosexual or other protected "class" because it would be discrimination to not do so.

Like I said, LOLberals absolutely despise freedom.

More GOP homophobia.

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A bill in the state Legislature to allow business owners to refuse services for same-sex couples would give them a “license to hate,” according to one Senator. But the bill’s sponsor says it protects religious freedoms.

“This is a bill that allows bigotry,” said Sen. Kevin Ranker, D-Orcas Island.

The state of Washington is suing a florist in Richland for refusing to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding. The owner said her religious beliefs prevented her from serving the couple.

Senate Bill 5927 would allow business owners to “deny services” based on an owner’s “religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs or matters of conscience.”

Is this part of the "re-branding" effort for the GOP? Writing Homophobic bills in a blue state?

I don't have any problem with private businesses being allowed to discriminate against any group of people by refusing to serve them. Of course, I also have no problem with them being called out publically for that and reaping the consequences either.

More GOP homophobia.

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A bill in the state Legislature to allow business owners to refuse services for same-sex couples would give them a “license to hate,” according to one Senator. But the bill’s sponsor says it protects religious freedoms.

“This is a bill that allows bigotry,” said Sen. Kevin Ranker, D-Orcas Island.

The state of Washington is suing a florist in Richland for refusing to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding. The owner said her religious beliefs prevented her from serving the couple.

Senate Bill 5927 would allow business owners to “deny services” based on an owner’s “religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs or matters of conscience.”

I don't have any problem with private businesses being allowed to discriminate against any group of people by refusing to serve them. Of course, I also have no problem with them being called out publically for that and reaping the consequences either.

That's right. That's how freedom works. A group, an individual, for whatever reason they choose. Your breath could stink and make me not want to sit through meetings to discuss a sale with you. It should be my right to do so. I'm not a fan of people who discriminate against others due to sexual orientation, race, creed, etc..but I am a strong proponent of their right to do so. Any American should be.

Freedom, liberty.

Some have. A business owner is just that, the owner. Since we have private means of production and property, it is the right of the owner to discriminate from conducting business with anyone they choose. It's called freedom. Public accomodations should refer solely to public works, not private property. That is where the governments ability to dictate comes in, on public accomodation. A persons private property and means of production are not public. They are open to voluntary exchange from other private individuals. Next you'll tell us that customers MUST purchase from a homosexual or other protected "class" because it would be discrimination to not do so.

What they "should" and actually do are two different things. Currently they are the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation.

But nobody bitched much about them...until "the gheys" started using the law in their states. :lol:

It is under the law.

But that wasn't the case here was it? If the florist didn't do weddings at all, there would be no lawsuit because there would be no discrimination. She refused this couple and this couple only and under Washington state law, she committed a crime.

That's the answer. Stop public service. The business won't suffer any loss of business. There will be plenty of couples contacting them for florist services for weddings.

What they "should" and actually do are two different things. Currently they are the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation.

But nobody bitched much about them...until "the gheys" started using the law in their states. :lol:

You can keep saying the same thing over and over, but what you're really a proponent of is centrally planned society and economics. YOu love the idea that people are forced (instead of voluntarily) to make exchange with those they would not otherwise wish to do so with. Because youre a special interest tyrant, doesn't make your "law", or your interpretation of it any more morally or ethically sound.

You love dictated society. Like I said, LOLberals HATE freedom.

It is under the law.

That's the answer. Stop public service. The business won't suffer any loss of business. There will be plenty of couples contacting them for florist services for weddings.

That's esentially what they are advocating. Then when there are no florists, because no one wants to suffer a lawsuit because they refuse to be forced to exchange with a special interest, they will advocate that the government FORCE people to be florists.

This is the LOlberal mindset in a nutshell.

Really? You, being the only grocery store for 50 miles should be able to refuse to sell tomatoes to the queers? How about the only heating oil company in town? Should they be able to refuse to sell heating oil to that Muslim family down the block?

You don't have the right refuse service for any reason. Learn the laws before you break them.

That should be my right. Do you know that you denigrate the people you defend by calling them "queers"?

If I am the only business of my type in town, there's a good bet that I am in no particular town at all. So I should still be able to control what clientele I allow to enter my establishment.

Ah, but the queers get a pass. See, I'm gay so I can say those things.

It isn't your right and you should learn the laws before you break them.

Oh so you're self depreciating now. Yeah, way to stand up for your mindset. It isn't your right to force your homosexuality on people. Read the law before you comment on it.

Forum List

Back