Serious Thread Topic: Can Terrorism Really Be Stopped?

I'd like to get some thoughts from the liberals on this, because as a liberal, I really don't hear a whole lot of solutions to stopping terrorism. Probably because it can't be stopped. But I'd still like to hear if there have been any solutions proposed by the left.

Also would like to hear thoughts from the right about a real solution. Do you guys really think that bombing people into oblivion is going to end terrorism? We're talking about religious extremism here -- violence against them only adds fuel to the fire. Does the right actually have a real, actionable solution to ending terrorism?

My personal point of view is that you can't really stop it. I don't see how it's possible as long as people still cling to these poisonous ME religions. The only real way we'd ever end global terrorism is through a sort of collective spiritual and psychological evolution to the next level, where as a society we've moved past the violent idiocy of archaic organized religion. The change must come from within. But that just isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. In other words, we're screwed and terrorism will become more and more of a "normal" part of life.

Discuss...
Were the Nazis stopped? Evil to this degree, can be eliminated but there will still be the deranged who will hold onto their weird religious or political emotions.

Were the Nazi’s stopped? No. Not even close.

I'd like to get some thoughts from the liberals on this, because as a liberal, I really don't hear a whole lot of solutions to stopping terrorism. Probably because it can't be stopped. But I'd still like to hear if there have been any solutions proposed by the left.

Also would like to hear thoughts from the right about a real solution. Do you guys really think that bombing people into oblivion is going to end terrorism? We're talking about religious extremism here -- violence against them only adds fuel to the fire. Does the right actually have a real, actionable solution to ending terrorism?

My personal point of view is that you can't really stop it. I don't see how it's possible as long as people still cling to these poisonous ME religions. The only real way we'd ever end global terrorism is through a sort of collective spiritual and psychological evolution to the next level, where as a society we've moved past the violent idiocy of archaic organized religion. The change must come from within. But that just isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. In other words, we're screwed and terrorism will become more and more of a "normal" part of life.

Discuss...

Good thread, one of your few, lol!

Can't have terror without money; at least not big terror. It used to be called Guerilla warfare, and now it is called terrorism, it has just come home to roost here.

And so, just like most everything else bad, you probably can NOT eradicate it, but you can cut it down significantly. Stop the money. Every time a country is hit, let someone hit Iran, get rid of the PC attitude, and starve out Islam.

Now the last thing is NEVER going to happen, but as we can see, we still have people willing to excuse what is happening, even as they start to attack young people purposely.

I would like to put forth the reality that I am NOT Jewish, but I do have a question-------------> why are Jewish people reviled so much in Europe, and even on campuses in America in some spots? It fascinates me to no end, that I do not see any acts of terror by Jews, but they are despised openly. I do see terror by Islamists, and yet in many quarters, they are apologized for, and protected. I do not understand how a group who attacks nobody but Islamists is despised; and the reason they attack Islamists is because Islamists tell everyone including them, they will destroy the Jews. Meanwhile, the Islamists are attacking EVERYBODY including the Jews, but they are apologized for.

Does anyone realize how bassackwards this is! These people, are lighting up Europe at will, raping women, and killing children, and they are apologized for? Really! How many of you are great grandchildren of Neville Chamberlain? That is the only reason I can come up with for this level of incompetence.

Terrorists will never be stopped as long as leftists say we have to live with it! That is a loser mentality and plays right into their goals.

So you take that we have to live with it crap and change it into they have to die for it! We should have killed 100 terrorists for every death they caused.

No one says that we have to live with it. We're looking for realistic ways to combat terrorism. RW blathering does not help.

If we knew where there were 100 terrorists we would certainly kill them. The problem is in figuring out who is a terrorist and who is not. Or even worst who will become a terrorist sometime in the future.

The world knew where hundreds were in a nice, neat little convoy and did nothing. Derp!

I don't think it can be stopped, bitnI do think it can fall out of favor.

Yes, I'm a hopeless liberal, but I think education promotes critical thinking, which promotes freedom, which promotes the ideals of liberalism, namely, the ability to peacefully coexist with different cultures.

Let the mocking commence.

Discuss...
It is a somewhat complicated question. You ask if we can stop terrorism and then you confined your post to current Islamist incidents. But there have been terrorists who were motivated by different political movements. So, it depends on which terrorism you mean and we have to be aware of the underlying political situation.

Secondly, most terrorists are natural-born citizens of the country whose citizens they target and cannot be equated with foreigners. Counter terrorism must understand this.

Simply attempting to stop terrorists before their murderous attacks will always put us at a disadvantage because policing does not affect motivation and no matter how many plots are frustrated, some will always get through in a free society

So, an alternative to brainwashing must include social and educational strategies as well as influencing the underlying cause.

It would be helpful if the Regressive Left would:

1. Stop dishonestly equating modern-day jihadism with modern-day Christianity
2. Stop transparently deflecting to the Crusades or other points of history as a way to dilute current-day jihadist atrocities
3. Stop transparently deflecting to political figures or political issues after every jihadist atrocity
4. Stop attacking anyone who dares to point out jihadist atrocities
5. Start holding Islam accountable for its anti-liberal elements
6. Start expecting Islam to move towards a true and badly-needed Reformation

The Regressive Left has done enough enabling. Children were just slaughtered. It's time to stop spinning for your pet PC constituent religion.

And how would that stop terrorism?

For example, how would it have stopped these attacks, just a handful of the ones that occurred over the last decade:

DC Sniper Allen Muhammad
Richard Poplawski - who went on a rampage and shot 3 Pittsburgh police in 2009
Wade Michael Page - who attacked a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin in 2012.
Aaron Alexis - killed 12 people when he opened fire on the Washington Navy Yard in DC in 2013
Glenn Miller, Jr. - attacked a Jewish community center and retirement community in 2014
Jarad and Amanda Miller - went on a shooting rampage, killed two Las Vegas police officers, said to have held extreme anti-government views, 2014
Chris Harper-Mercer - went on a shooting spree at his college killing 10 people, had anti-religious and white supremacist views, 2014
Dylann Roof - went into a church and shot 9 people, wanting to start a race war, 2015
The first four words of my post were "it would be helpful". Nothing will stop all terrorism, not in a free society. But deflecting away from the jihadist terrorism that is worldwide doesn't help.

Neither does your frequent labeling of those who object to broad brushing an entire religion as "regressive leftism" in the face of those (to whom you are silent) who are calling for extermination, genocide, expulsions, stripping away of rights and freedoms. None of that is helpful is it?

Neither is it helpful when people make the claims that Islam is inherently violent, historically violent and nothing but violent and omg - bringing up the Crusades in response is taboo.

Islam was founded by a warmongering, raping pedophile.

It's rotten to the core.

I don't think it can be stopped, bitnI do think it can fall out of favor.

Yes, I'm a hopeless liberal, but I think education promotes critical thinking, which promotes freedom, which promotes the ideals of liberalism, namely, the ability to peacefully coexist with different cultures.

Let the mocking commence.

Yeah, Trotsky and Lenin would be proud of you but even with all the education the reality is that humans must kill and acts of terror have litter our history since the dawn of enlightenment...

Terrorists will never be stopped as long as leftists say we have to live with it! That is a loser mentality and plays right into their goals.

So you take that we have to live with it crap and change it into they have to die for it! We should have killed 100 terrorists for every death they caused.
If killing them was that easy don't you think they would have done it by now? These are 2 problems.
-Identify terrorists. It's not like a terrorist wears a sign or a uniform. A devout Muslim isn't necessarily a terrorist. And even when this devout Muslim hates the West he doesn't necessarily resorts to violence or even plans violence. Trying to find those who are an actual danger is insanely hard
-Find them. Ok you identified the terrorist. They hide in the general populace who aren't necessarily pro police. It's not that straightforward.
You hit two places and you hurt terrorist's very badly.
The Gaza strip the birthplace of just about every terrorist group.
Tehran the fiscal capital of terrorist funding.

Yep, Mecca, and the dome of the rock.

Drop a nuke on Mecca and controlled-demolish the dome of the rock.

And the left cheers because Trump's travel ban has been thwarted again! My gawd!
The travel ban is not going to make you safer.

The ban is just temporary until better vetting methods are implimented.
He's already had more than the time allotted in the ban. I'm not hearing any improved methods. Why not? This wasn't done to improve vetting. It was a pacifier to make people feel safer. We won't be.

Yet if does "nothing" he'll get tarred and feathered for that.

Well, when you make ridiculous campaign promises such as being so strong “nobody will mess with us”, you deserve to be ridiculed when you shockingly are unable to stop it.

If killing them was that easy don't you think they would have done it by now? These are 2 problems.
-Identify terrorists. It's not like a terrorist wears a sign or a uniform. A devout Muslim isn't necessarily a terrorist. And even when this devout Muslim hates the West he doesn't necessarily resorts to violence or even plans violence. Trying to find those who are an actual danger is insanely hard
-Find them. Ok you identified the terrorist. They hide in the general populace who aren't necessarily pro police. It's not that straightforward.
You hit two places and you hurt terrorist's very badly.
The Gaza strip the birthplace of just about every terrorist group.
Tehran the fiscal capital of terrorist funding.

Yep, Mecca, and the dome of the rock.

Drop a nuke on Mecca and controlled-demolish the dome of the rock.
Mecca is in Saudi Arabia, dome of the rock is Jerusalem, neither of those place is in Iran or the Gaza strip.

The cause of most of this has already been stated earlier. Young men with no jobs and no hope. Nothing to live for. Whether it is in the Middle East or the inner city, or the suburbs and the heartland now with meth addiction or opiates, young males that are hopeless are the cause of almost all the ills in all societies around the world. That we sell billions in arms to arab governments that take 95% of the profits of the oil in their countries while their populations live in poverty only provides the most fertile ground for recruiters to violence. Add in ignorance and religious fanaticism and you have a cauldron of boiling misery that is gigantic and looking to feel powerful. Witness Isis, who's members hold the power of life and death in their hands and can rape any woman or girl they see. The two ultimate powers that a young male can wield.

Go back to the line in A Christmas Carol.

From the Ghost of Christmas Present as two hideous children hide under his robe:
“They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.

A civilization lasts only until enough people in that society see that there is no hope for anyone other than a wealthy controlling few, then the civil society loses it's meaning as do the laws and the rule of the jungle is reinstated. And in the jungle it is angry young males in groups that control the countryside. Ignore the disenfranchised and someone else will not. They will recruit them with promises of power and dignity against the 'oppressors'. Forget the names of religions, countries, and sects. This is how humans everywhere through time behave.

And the left cheers because Trump's travel ban has been thwarted again! My gawd!
The travel ban is not going to make you safer.

I am amazed that you would say that. Obviously there's no way to guarantee anyone's safety these days, but you can cut down on the odds by reducing the number of possible terrorists and their supporters by not letting them in the country int he first place. And you do that by better and more thorough vetting. Whichis what Trump's travel ban is all about.
Then ban visitors on a permanent basis from the countries where the terrorists are coming from--Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia. This was a poorly thought out ban for optic purposes only.

I was under the impression that Trump's ban was applied to countries where their vetting process was deemed by the Obama Administration to be unacceptable. Which gives Trump the basis for temporarily denying entry until proper vetting is done on our side or better vetting is done on the other side. We can't know everything about everybody from anywhere and everywhere, right? So, we are forced to rely on foreign countries to provide us with valid information. Is it perfect? Of course not, no matter what you do the bad guys are going to get in but at least you can try to stop the flow of people from ME countries where we can't even trust their vetting procedures. And that ain't optics IMHO, it's about the best we can do under our constitution.

And BTW, can you imagine the hue and cry from the liberal left if Trump permanently banned everybody from your listed countries?
In order to make us "safer," in Trump's way of thinking, it would have to be a permanent ban. How is 90 or 120 days going to help? Since it's been more than that now and he hasn't asked for a report on "extreme vetting solutions," I'm believing he isn't serious about that either. I know what the admin said about the countries they chose. It sounds sensible on the outside, but the fact is that the work arounds we do to vet people from those countries (some of the countries where the civilian population is living through the worst hell, btw) seems to be working since they aren't coming here and attacking. Seems to be second generation Americans who got "turned." Maybe Dad was a radical, maybe the kid wasn't feeling part of American society. Maybe he was just an a-hole and it wouldn't make any difference. But the ban as written, even 2.0, isn't going to work. If it makes Americans feel better, I guess it will serve its purpose. But I do not agree with it and Trump's real reason for it--theater--is clear to me.

You call it theater, I call it the best he can do under the Constitution. Look at what's going on, liberal judges are blocking even a temporary ban from muslim countries based on perceived vetting inadequacies. How could he ever get a permanent ban passed the courts? Look - if his ban was in effect at least SOME young muslim males from the ME would be denied entry for a little while while we try to upgrade our vetting of them. I don't have a problem with that and I do think it's an attempt to make us safer.

But I'll also say this; if there is a terrorist attack in this country by somebody from one of those countries who we might have detained or denied entry but didn't because some liberal activist judge thinks he knows more about national security than the POTUS, who's going to look like shit then?

Judaism was founded by a genocidal monster who used deceit in battle effectively.

Indeed, much of the Old Testament was jewish authors retroactively rationalizing the slaughtering of tribes other than the 12 chosen by the satanic Yahweh deity (which was actually adopted by Moses from the Kenites). The 12 Yahweh tribes allegedly had a civil war between the 10 tribes of Israel vs the tribe of Judah and Benjamin, if I recall the nonsense mythology correctly.

Forum List

Back