🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Shackling the Scholar: Israel’s administrative detention of Palestinian students

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012
Shackling the Scholar: Israel’s administrative detention of Palestinian students

They used to renew my detention the day before or the same day that I was supposed to get out. So every 6 months, I would face renewal again. They used to take me for investigation but nothing actually happened there – it was just to tease me. There were no charges against me in the investigation. One time I was supposed to go home but they left me in prison that day, and the next day they told me that they renewed my detention…I stayed there for two and a half years and I didn’t even make my bed because I had the hope that I’m going home the next day.”

- Tariq, 24, Student at Birzeit University, held under administrative detention by Israel.

Since 2006, as collective punishment for the Hamas capture of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, Palestinian prisoners have been denied basic rights to education. Only those sentenced to more than five years in prison can access education and these prisoners are restricted to studying only in Hebrew at a prohibitively expensive Israeli university. For those prisoners sentenced to less than five years in prison, including children, access to education is denied. Prisoners held under administrative detention - denied the right to a trial and therefore never sentenced - are thus also denied the right to education. In denying education to Palestinian prisoners, Israel is in violation of a number of international laws including Article 94 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, which states that the detaining power should “take all practicable measure to ensure the exercise” of “intellectual, educational and recreational pursuits”.

Shackling the Scholar: Israel?s administrative detention of Palestinian students | Mondoweiss

The depravity Israel practices against Palestinian children has no limits, no bounds. I always stand amazed by how low Israel sinks. We are talking about children and young persons unlawfully detained without charges filed against them and held indefinitely and deliberately denied an education. I cannot see that as anything short of collective punishmant, another war crime Israel embraces in her occupation of Palestine.

For those of us who see children suffering everywhere as our children, this is heartbreaking to watch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DWUPgt62Fn4]Join Addameer's Stop Administrative Detention Campaign! - YouTube[/ame]

Sherri

Presently, there are over 4700 Palestinian political prisoners Israel is detaining, and 178 of them are held under administrative detention. The administrative detention practice, as carried out by Israel, which results in indefinite renewals of up to six month sentences of persons being held without charges filed, has been found to be unlawful.

The Israeli practice of administrative detention violates Article 9 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which provides that no persons should be subjected to arbitrary detention, that detainees must be informed of the reasons for their detention and that detainees must have access to a court hearing. These are all fundamental principles of human rights and criminal law. In it its defense, Israel invokes Article 4 of the ICCPR, which allows states to deviate from Article 9 when they face a public emergency threatening the life of the nation. An Amnesty International report, which studied cases of administrative detention over a period of many years, refutes Israel’s security-based justification.

“…administrative detention is used regularly by the Israeli authorities as a form of political detention, enabling the authorities to arbitrarily detain political prisoners, including prisoners of conscience, and that the practice is used to punish them for their views and suspected political affiliations when they have not committed any crime.”*

Shackling the Scholar: Israel?s administrative detention of Palestinian students | Mondoweiss

As well as the illegality of administrative detentions, there are other violations of intl law faced by detainees that include torture, medical neglect, denial of family visits, denial of education, and most are held unlawfully outside of the OPT which is a direct violation of the provisions of The Fourth Geneva Convention.

Sherri

you got a last name on TARIQ sherri? I cannot find
it even the propaganda crap mondelweiss site you
you cited. I was wondering if he was ever convicted
of a crime---as was that "samer" felon

How is it going for the islamic hero Shaykh Abdel Rahman?
anyone start a hunger strike yet?

Forum List

Back