Sherrod's going to Sue Breitbart...

So you're saying I have a case against T R U T H O U T for defamation of character and emotional anguish. Ok. Know any lawyers?

Given the scope of the readership of said posts, and how the small number of viewers would affect any "emotional anguish" you might have, I'd say a judge might award you about $3.50.

But, hey, go ahead and try.

But he also posted editorial comments at the beginning of the tape he "released" stating that she was engaging in racist actions in her USDA job currently...and that was not true.

he did not specifically say that

next

Fox did. Not next, lets deal with this lie.

link

and ravi claimed breitbart said it...care to deal with that? even if he implied it, which it seems like, if it wasn't intentional, she will lose

she wins nothing from this case, the people she should sue are the naacp and the federal government, they are the ones who harmed her the most....but like you, she is only going to attack fox news and breitbart

why isn't she suing the naacp for their written defaming of her character? it was their video....and their comments were as bad, if not worse than breitbarts

Depending on how it was worded, she may have a case based on that.

But the video is irrelevant as far as a slander suit.
Yes, absolutely it is...it is his commentary that makes it slander, imo. Have you watched the video as he released it with the comments at the beginning?

I've only seen the segment of her, and the full clip.

I try to stay away from bloviating hack douchenozzles
when it comes to political commentary.
What fun is that? :lol:

It's here on this page...the little blue box that now appears in front of the video wasn't there until after the full video came out.

http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/2010/07/19/video-proof-the-naacp-awards-racism2010/

The money quote:

Ms. Sherrod admits that in her federally appointed position, overseeing a billion dollars, she discriminates against people due to their race.
The graphic of the "race card" at the top of the post is a nice touch, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: What is the most important issue facing the U.S. today?

- Two wars
- The Deficit and Debt
- Unemployment
- The BP Oil Spill
- Breitbart posting two video clips on his political blog site

Well in order of "importance" by the RWNM, the BP oil spill is getting a lot of faux press by their unequivocal defense of BP, now claiming the damage is actually minimal and those people in the Gulf should just grin and bear it.

How is it an attack to quote somebody verbatim?

He didn't quote her verbatim, he edited the video.

How is an edited video considered an "attack"?

Out of context materials and quotes are released all the time to put people in a less than favorable light... What makes her case different? Was it because some 0bama official decided to use it to force her resignation? Did Brietbart force the "forcers" to have her resign?

Personally, I think she's playing her initial cards to see if Brietbart will cough up some sort of apology and/or some cash....

It's CLEARLY Not...

And the NAACP's own version has part of it Edited out, and I have yet to see the a Version that's not...

I would LOVE to see what the NAACP removed.

:)

peace...

Yes, absolutely it is...it is his commentary that makes it slander, imo. Have you watched the video as he released it with the comments at the beginning?

It's here on this page...the little blue box that now appears in front of the video wasn't there until after the full video came out.

The money quote:

Ms. Sherrod admits that in her federally appointed position, overseeing a billion dollars, she discriminates against people due to their race.

I don't see it on this page.

So you're saying I have a case against T R U T H O U T for defamation of character and emotional anguish. Ok. Know any lawyers?

Given the scope of the readership of said posts, and how the small number of viewers would affect any "emotional anguish" you might have, I'd say a judge might award you about $3.50.

But, hey, go ahead and try.

And if the White House had not precipitously fired her, most people wouldn't have heard of the post on BigGovernment.com.

Damages are typically to the reputation of the plaintiff, but depending upon the laws of the jurisdiction it may be enough to establish mental anguish.

Most jurisdictions also recognize "per se" defamation, where the allegations are presumed to cause damage to the plaintiff. Typically, the following may consititute defamation per se:

* Attacks on a person's professional character or standing;
* Allegations that an unmarried person is unchaste;
* Allegations that a person is infected with a sexually transmitted disease;
* Allegations that the person has committed a crime of moral turpitude;
Defamation, Libel and Slander Law

Interesting.

Wouldn't that broad swath include any conservative you have slandered here?

Certainly, if anyone has a determination to do so.

The money quote:

I don't see it on this page.
Oh, forgot the link, sorry.

Video Proof: The NAACP Awards Racism?2010 - Big Government

Scroll down towards the bottom to see the video.

- Two wars
- The Deficit and Debt
- Unemployment
- The BP Oil Spill

Well in order of "importance" by the RWNM, the BP oil spill is getting a lot of faux press by their unequivocal defense of BP, now claiming the damage is actually minimal and those people in the Gulf should just grin and bear it.

Really? The stories I see the RWNM giving the most coverage concern the economy, the debt, the deficit, ObamaCare, the Financial Reform Bill, and the wars. The Oil Spill is is continuing to get coverage, but I haven't seen any widespread defense of BP. If anything, their handling of the situation is quite reviled.

Tom Cruise got a settlement because he had actual proof that his ability to further enrich himself was hampered by smears.

That said, he had enough money to pursue an active defense, something that Ms. Sherrod doesn't have.

I just wonder why she isn't suing the party at fault, the party that cause the actual damage.

She has actual proof they tried to smear her name, and it will be very easy to prove mental anguish.

As it turns out, mental anguish is pretty hard to prove. But go on with your theories.

Surely you jest. Mental anguish is very easy to prove. It's usually why punitive damages are often much higher than actual damages.

In a statement released Monday, NAACP President Benjamin Jealous said that the organization concurred with Vilsack accepting Sherrod's resignation, adding, "Racism is about the abuse of power. Sherrod had it in her position at USDA. According to her remarks, she mistreated a white farmer in need of assistance because of his race."

Shirley Sherrod Resigns from USDA over Race Remark Furor - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

they called her comments "shameful"....

why isn't she suing the naacp?

And Brietbart is the party at fault, he is the one who posted the video and claimed she was a racist. I do love how you guys continue to defend him,

Use of the phrase "you guys" in a post responding to my post causes me mental anguish. I am not defending "him" (aka Breitbart) one bit. You have slandered the name of a public person by including me in that false and baseless attack on my character.

I am deeply offended that you would ever accuse me of defending anyone named Breitbart.

Well then we all must need new glasses. So sue us.

She has actual proof they tried to smear her name, and it will be very easy to prove mental anguish.

As it turns out, mental anguish is pretty hard to prove. But go on with your theories.

Surely you jest. Mental anguish is very easy to prove. It's usually why punitive damages are often much higher than actual damages.

no its not and puni's are not about mental anguish alone

- Two wars
- The Deficit and Debt
- Unemployment
- The BP Oil Spill

seems mother nature cleaned up the spill fatser than obama and bp could....either that it obama and company blew it all out of proportion...remember never let a good crisis go to waste....

Forum List

Back