Shots reported fired at/near Navy submarine base in San Diego, CA

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
I just heard a report on the radio (sorry, no link yet) that someone reported hearing shots fired in or near the Navy sub base on Pt. Loma in San Diego. It's reported that the sub base is locked down, with personnel being ordered to "shelter in place". That means, "Run away and hide, and hope you don't wind up dead."

No reports yet of casualties. It apparently happened less than 30 minutes ago. Hopefully it will turn out to be exaggerated (as early reports often are), and that no one got hurt. But that's unknown right now.

Now a local report, with some different details. Still not much hard news.

"No gunshots were reported."

Go figure.

--------------------------------------------

Naval base issues 'shelter in place' order | UTSanDiego.com

Naval base issues 'shelter in place' order

by Lyndsay Winkley
11:50 a.m.April 24, 2014

POINT LOMA — A shelter-in-place order was given at Naval Base Point Loma Thursday morning after a person with a gun was seen, a Navy spokesman said.

First reports came in about 10:55 a.m. at the base near Rosecrans Street, spokesman Brian O'Rourke said. No gunshots were reported.

The base wasn't locked down, but people are being asked to stay inside, he said.

FRKN News reporting this image of the perpetrator gleaned from security video.

Barack-Obama-Shooting-a-Gun--75685.jpg

Last edited:
Moved to Current Events :)

'shelter in place' is quite a bit different from 'run away and hide'

At the risk of sounding pedantic, it's not all the different. After all, if they're not in a place conducive to taking shelter, "run away" is exactly what they're being told to do...at least away from exposed areas. And "shelter" is absolutely a synonym for "hide".

Shelter Synonyms, Shelter Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

But the point is, as I think we all know, is that due to the fact that our soldiers are disarmed while on base, they are not able to defend themselves or help to stop the threat. Personally, I find the notion of directing men trained with firearms to 'shelter in place', whether that requires running away and hiding or not, to be somewhat pathetic and counter-intuitive.

My goodness, the people outside that base have the right to defend themselves, but not those that defend that right through their military service? Makes NO sense.

Please note that I say this in general terms as I have no idea what has actually transpired on or near that base in San Diego.

Well, this is getting weirder.

Now, no shots were fired.

And the sum total of the "dangerous situation", is that someone was seen with a gun.

And the two people in custody, might have nothing to do with the first reports.

Hey, there are lots of civilian houses adjacent to the base in Pt. Loma. Many of the residents are ordinary people who have little to do with the military (true for most cities in the U.S.). And a lot of regular U.S. citizens are gun owners.

If I lived there, it would not be unusual for someone to "see a person with a gun" as I prepared for an ordinary trip to the range, bringing my guns out to the car and checking their safety before locking them up as usual.

If no one was hurt, and no shots were fired, and nobody saw anything except "a person with a gun", then what is this story doing in the papers at all?

What's next? Reports of a person with a poodle? Or a clarinet?

Oh, the humanity!

------------------------------------------------

2 suspects in custody after shelter-in-place ordered at Naval Base Point Loma | Fox News

2 suspects in custody after shelter-in-place ordered at Naval Base Point Loma

Published April 24, 2014·
FoxNews.com

Two suspects were reportedly in custody after a shelter-in-place order was issued Thursday at San Diego's Naval Base Point Loma after an earlier report of a person seen with a gun.

It is unclear if those in custody were connected to the report, but officials said no shots were fired, Navy Installations Command tweeted.

U-T San Diego reported that the base was never on lock down, but those on the base were asked to remain indoors. Navy officials tell Fox News that law enforcement and security are at the base are investigating. The shelter-in-place is still in effect for the base.

What's next? Reports of a person with a poodle? Or a clarinet?

Oh, the humanity!

Well, those clarinets do have a rather pointy end...and you could hurt someone by throwing a poodle at them. Maybe not one of those Toy poodles, but a Standard could do some damage.

Time for poodle control laws!

And finally the truth is coming out.

It wasn't even a real gun.

It was an enlisted sailor and his friend, playing with a "plastic pellet gun". Maybe an Airsoft or a paintball.

Apparently some person excessively in touch with his feminine side, flapped his hands and exclaimed, "Oh my goodness, a g-g-g-gun!"

....and half the base went ballistic.

Never mind.

I love the way people make the command to "Shelter in Place" sound like cowardice.

Why do so few think before they post?

Perhaps you're right. The REAL cowardice was the act of disarming soldiers so that are forced to shelter in place...in the first place.

I love the way people make the command to "Shelter in Place" sound like cowardice.

Why do so few think before they post?

Perhaps you're right. The REAL cowardice was the act of disarming soldiers so that are forced to shelter in place...in the first place.

I agree that they should be able to carry on a base.

But the order to shelter in place has a twofold purpose. First, it is to prevent additional casualties. Regardless of your training, an armed perpetrator is almost always going to win a fight against an unarmed person. Especially in open spaces. But second, and as important, if the innocent are sheltering in place, anyone moving is either cop or suspect. It cuts down on the number of people to be checked out rapidly.

Forum List

Back