Should Parents Pay the Bill

There seems to be two issues here. Should the ship that is rescuing her charge her parents? No, because that is the law of the sea, you respond to a distress signal, BUT this distress signal was passed on along by a SAR effort that IMO the parents should pay for.

Here's a question I have , and I really don't know. Could the ship that rescues the brat claim her ship as salvage?

It is not an abounded vessel. The owner of the vessel is present. It is not salvage.

French fishing vessel steams toward stranded teen - Yahoo! News

for this kid's rescue?

Mark me down as a YES!!!!!!!

15 Year Old Sailor Girl Found Alive!!!!

---

yeah, she's been spotted and contacted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37621453/ns/us_news/

Searchers have contacted a 16-year-old Southern California girl feared lost at sea and found her alive and well in her disabled boat.

now this family will make more money off the media attention.

gawd, some people... and their children ... Let Freedom Ring! Society Has No Say in How People Raise Their children!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/06/10/brazil.sexual.abuse/index.html?hpt=T2

According to police, Pereira had sex with his daughter since she was 12 years old. Now 29, the daughter has seven children from her father.

"It is a crime. I know that it is a crime," Pereira told Record TV. "But she was committing the crime as well, wasn't she? Then, I had to do it."

"A farmer only does things because the other consents, because if the other doesn't consent, the person doesn't do (it)," he added.

Last edited:
There seems to be two issues here. Should the ship that is rescuing her charge her parents? No, because that is the law of the sea, you respond to a distress signal, BUT this distress signal was passed on along by a SAR effort that IMO the parents should pay for.

Here's a question I have , and I really don't know. Could the ship that rescues the brat claim her ship as salvage?

Last I heard, as long as it's in international waters, yes.

The parents shouldn't pay for anything. Maritime law is not about money. Sea Air Rescue is exactly as advertised. The law came about before SAR existed.

Are you aware if you are CPR qualified and leave the scene of an auto accident you can be charged? We have a few rules and laws that apply to all. At least anyone civilized.

You don't leave someone to drown or bleed to death because of your payload.

We lost about 5 days on one deployment looking for a bird that went down, just because. It's not about pointing fingers. It's about saving lives.

The parents shouldn't pay for anything. Maritime law is not about money. Sea Air Rescue is exactly as advertised. The law came about before SAR existed.

Are you aware if you are CPR qualified and leave the scene of an auto accident you can be charged? We have a few rules and laws that apply to all. At least anyone civilized.

We lost about 5 days on one deployment looking for a bird that went down, just because. It's not about pointing fingers. It's about saving lives.

Right, but if you know CPR are you required to drop everything and run to help someone who could use you? Well, I mean certainly anyone with a heart would if they could manage it, but there is no requirement to do so.

And bringing up a military comparison is invalid, b/c the military obviously works different and we never, if it can be helped, leave a man behind.

Right, but if you know CPR are you required to drop everything and run to help someone who could use you? Well, I mean certainly anyone with a heart would if they could manage it, but there is no requirement to do so.

And bringing up a military comparison is invalid, b/c the military obviously works different and we never, if it can be helped, leave a man behind.

On the open ocean it makes no difference if you are military or non military. A distress signal is a distress signal. Anyone close will respond.

On the open ocean it makes no difference if you are military or non military. A distress signal is a distress signal. Anyone close will respond.

Right, but this ship that is going to rescue her was in fact NOT close, they in fact did NOT pick up HER distress signal, they picked one up that was relayed by an airplane that was only in the area SPECIFICALLY to look for the girl. It's an ENTIRELY different situation no matter how you spin it.

Incorrect. If you are CPR qualified and get caught, you can be charged with failure to stop and render aid.

You brought up a military comparison -- SAR is military. My comments previous to your bringing SAR up were on maritime law, not the military. The fact that military ships during peacetime are required to follow suit is irrelevant to the discussion.

Right, but this ship that is going to rescue her was in fact NOT close, they in fact did NOT pick up HER distress signal, they picked one up that was relayed by an airplane that was only in the area SPECIFICALLY to look for the girl. It's an ENTIRELY different situation no matter how you spin it.

There is no spin.

The ship was the closest and ablest ship to the scene. Doesn't matter if they received the signal directly or not. All that matters is that they did receive it.

And once you receive something like that. You respond. No exceptions.

It's kinda like rule #34 that way.

Incorrect. If you are CPR qualified and get caught, you can be charged with failure to stop and render aid.

You brought up a military comparison -- SAR is military. My comments previous to your bringing SAR up were on maritime law, not the military. The fact that military ships during peacetime are required to follow suit is irrelevant to the discussion.

Careful, Gun... you don't wanna upset Con.... he might neg rep your ass. :eek:

Keep trying.

The french were the CLOSEST to her so they are responding. The french were TOLD of her distress signal and are responding. AS i said in my first post

I think the parents should offer pay for the Quantis flight. I do not believe Quantis will take it because they are not MERCENARIES.

Well, everyone already said it...

As for the whole parents thing well... I mean, what I wonder is what if this had been a 32 year old dude? Wouldn't his family have also been worried about a distress signal and had people go around searching for him? Or was all this effort just made cuz it was a 16 year old girl?

I mean, it's not like she was some doofus, she didn't fuck up her boat, it seems like this could've happened to anyone. She apparently had been sailing all her life and whatever. That's not to say that I'd ever let any potential future offspring do anything of the sort, but... I dunno, maybe they were just really confident on their daughters abilities. To be fair she was almost halfway there and seemed to have been doing pretty well.

Well, then again, I'm 22 and imagine I can't really have any good parenting opinions. IASDHAOPSd

There's a reason the parents are receiving criticism. As you know your ability to handle danger increaes with maturity. You don't dive to deep depths with children either. Panic.

I simply shortened it to SAR I didn't really mean to bring a military comparison into the equation, sorry for the confusion.

I simply shortened it to SAR I didn't really mean to bring a military comparison into the equation, sorry for the confusion.

Back peddling again? :lol: Dont want to play big man and insult Gunny? Or are you only brave with girls?

Back peddling again? :lol: Dont want to play big man and insult Gunny? Or are you only brave with girls?

:lol: IF I ever feel the need to insult Gunny I will do so, in this case I feel no need to.

:lol: IF I ever feel the need to insult Gunny I will do so, in this case I feel no need to.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Coward

I guess Gunny would show you who has balls and who doesn't.

(sorry gunny for dragging you into a bitch slapping)

Coward

I'm a coward for not throwing around insults where I don't feel they're warranted? :lol:

Coward

you kinda sorta should be,, you are taking cheap shots, either fight your own battle or stfu.

Coward

I'm a coward for not throwing around insults where I don't feel they're warranted? :lol:

You are a coward little man because when you used a 16 year old as a shield. You are a coward because you cant debate without using insults, falsely thinking that makes you a big bad man.

And because you cant man up and say you were wrong.

Coward

You are a coward little man because when you used a 16 year old as a shield. You are a coward because you cant debate without using insults, falsely thinking that makes you a big bad man.

And because you cant man up and say you were wrong.

WTF are you serious???? You just hammered me for not insulting Gunny in a debate with him , then you turn around and call me a coward for not debating without insults?

Are you a real person?:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back