Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote?

Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters
You can blame the anti-alcohol crowd for income taxes, when they were going to institute prohibition the govt. needed a source of revenue to replace the 90% loss of taxes that booze provided to the US govt...

Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

No, you should not have to pay taxes, but you shouldn't be getting a check of other people's money. That's a clear conflict of interest, the opportunity to vote yourself money. But I see no reason someone self sufficient who doesn't take government money or give government money should be cut out of the process
Many seniors pay no income taxes....Yet they never get a govt. check for welfare..You want to alienate them also?

Of course they get welfare checks, social security and medicare

Should paying taxes be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

No, you should not have to pay taxes, but you shouldn't be getting a check of other people's money. That's a clear conflict of interest, the opportunity to vote yourself money. But I see no reason someone self sufficient who doesn't take government money or give government money should be cut out of the process
Many seniors pay no income taxes....Yet they never get a govt. check for welfare..You want to alienate them also?

Social security is not welfare...Medicare is paid through a monthly payment by the seniors...

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

Social security is not welfare...Medicare is paid through a monthly payment by the seniors...

Of course it's welfare. The government didn't save a dime. It's just taking other people's money and giving the money to them like any other welfare program

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

Of course it's welfare. The government didn't save a dime. It's just taking other people and giving the money to them like any other welfare program
yeah, I can see how paying for 40 years is theft..

Of course it's welfare. The government didn't save a dime. It's just taking other people and giving the money to them like any other welfare program

Paying for 40 years is irrelevant when zero money was saved. You send your broker $100 a week for 40 years. Your broker spends the money as it comes in. How much money do you have in 40 years?

Should paying Income taxes, either at the state or Federal be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Seniors who paid in their entire lives would, of course, be eligible to vote

Nuts.

Just plain nuts

When will people get it through your heads that the government is not a business? The reason this country was founded was precisely to break away from the notion that only elite aristocracy had a right to participate in the governance of a nation. How in the hell can you achieve consent of the governed by excluding people?

Paying for 40 years is irrelevant when zero money was saved. You send your broker $100 a week for 40 years. Your broker spends the money as it comes in. How much money do you have in 40 years?
I don't trust brokers, even though dear old Dad was one..

Should paying Income taxes, either at the state or Federal be a requirement to vote? It's like letting people who don't own stock, vote on company activities, compensation, policies, etc

Seniors who paid in their entire lives would, of course, be eligible to vote

Nuts.

Just plain nuts
We've been going downhill ever since we let anyone but white land owning (and sometimes slave owning) men vote.

To me it isn't paying taxes that is the issue, its public sector unions and the undue influence they have on the governments that their members work in.

Public employees should get a choice, keep your union and lose your vote at the level of government you work in, or lose your union and keep your vote.

So what's the answer to the question?

That social security is not welfare..

Depends which vehicle it fuels..

To me it isn't paying taxes that is the issue, its public sector unions and the undue influence they have on the governments that their members work in.

Public employees should get a choice, keep your union and lose your vote at the level of government you work in, or lose your union and keep your vote.
Tax the churches and every statue they have, tax it as a dependent

SwimExpert
...... [/QUOTE]The reason this country was founded was precisely to break away from the notion that only elite aristocracy had a right to participate in the governance of a nation. How in the hell can you achieve consent of the governed by excluding people?[/QUOTE]

Are middle class taxpayers part of an "elite aristocracy"?

Forum List

Back