Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

I think people should have the right to determine who they will serve.

Well, a few federal laws disagree with the way you think it should be. Lets see...get to repealing that Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act won't you? Oh yeah, and those non-discrimination laws that say I can't discriminate based on someone's religion...work on those will you?

I wlll get right on that.

They will lose out on a lot of money. They are either in business or they're not. If they don't want to provide any service to gays, the hell with them. Plenty of other people will.

Screw the law. It's MY business and I'll hire who I want to represent MY business. See I don't buy that bs obama's spoon feeding the ignorant. I built my business myself, and I will choose who I hire to represent it and me, and that would not include felons, dopers, drunks, homosexuals, negroes or heathens. Won't hire long haired, ear ring wearing hipsters or blatant liberals either.

Can understand felons, "dopers", drunks, but..

If you were interviewing a candidate that you found to be experienced, intelligent, and a great fit with your company (and this person also came with solid recommendations), would you retract your employment offer if you were to find out sometime later (before hiring) that this person was gay? Really?

Also, what type of business do you own and how you would you describe the typical "heathen"?

I own a Home Improvement business and yeah I would not hire them. There is no shortage of good, decent, experienced, intelligent, Christian and Catholic people out there looking for work to have to settle for what I consider to be a Godless, immoral sexual deviant. I would not consider a homosexual to be a good representative of my company or the values I try to promote for myself and my company. As for heathens, that would include any atheists or people who belong to Godless cults like Mormons, Watchtowerites, muslims, etc. I only hire clean cut, sober, drug free, white or Hispanic church going men preferably with a family, though I will hire the right single guy if he's related to someone who already works for me or if he comes with strong recommendations from someone I trust, I prefer responsible men who have a family to raise. My guys often spend days in and around people's homes, so how they act, talk and carry themselves while they interact with my customers makes a big impact as to whether that customer will recommend my company to friends and acquaintances or not. Where I live my customer base is strongly Christian or Catholic, more Catholics than Christians for the most part, heavy on active and retired military, and heavy on Govt. workers and they are for the most part traditional values sort of people.

[

You are a "fascist" kid....you support forcing others to support whatever you think is right :)

Look its ok you are gay, I support you in it.

I also support you having all the rights accorded to others...I also support non gays in having their own beliefs....something you can't stomach....because as a "fascist" you need to control those different than yourself.

My sister is gay kid.....you are the one blinded by hatred.

It isn't a matter of "controlling", although society controls to a degree in any event.

Call a co-worker an a racial or homophobic slur, and guess how fast you'll be cleaning out your desk.

(This is where Roo will tell us he's his own boss and a fantastic success in whatever business he's in. because everyone can be rich on the internets....)

The laws that tell business owners they can't refuse customers without good cause are good ones. They need to get over themselves.

How would you like being forced into serving someone? Don't you like the idea of being able to control the machinations of your own business? Of course not Noomi, you'd rather the government tell you whom you can and WILL serve, under pain of financial ruin.

Do you think I should be allowed to refuse to serve people who are black?

Does your religion forbid it?

Some religions are against gays and we can't make people go against their religion.

Again, using religion to justify your hatred is kind of stupid.

I go back to my example yesterday of how all religions think that sex outside of marriage is a sin.

but do you think any of these businesses would refuse to make a birthday cake for a child born outside of wedlock or a couple living together before marriage.

Here's the rub of it. Your homophobia has become unacceptable. I would thank God if there was a God, but thankfully, there isn't.

Hiding behind your religion to try to hold on to your hate isn't going to fly for long. In 20 years, the Churches will all be denying there were ever about the hate.

How would you like being forced into serving someone? Don't you like the idea of being able to control the machinations of your own business? Of course not Noomi, you'd rather the government tell you whom you can and WILL serve, under pain of financial ruin.

Do you think I should be allowed to refuse to serve people who are black?

Does your religion forbid it?

Some religions are against gays and we can't make people go against their religion.

My religion is against old people. Can I refuse to serve anyone over the age of 50, since my religion forbids it?

Best of luck, bigot. Hope you can afford the lawsuits should your illegal hiring practices be found out.

I would think you have enough to worry about in your own life than someone running a small buisness running it the way they want to.

Thats the problem with most progressives, they are shameless busybodies.

Information is not advocacy. He's breaking the law. It's that simple.

I would prefer he could be open and honest about his bigotry and homophobia, without fear of civil lawsuit, but the laws are currently very clear and he is in violation of them.

There are many ways around laws you believe to be immoral, obtrusive and wrong, and I have had no problems getting around them. NOBODY tells me who I can and cannot hire in the company I built with MY sweat, MY blood and MY sacrifices, period. I don't have applicants fill out a job application and most of the people who work for me come recommended by someone I know, so I already know a lot about them before I even meet them. Then I always do my interviews over a long and leisurely lunch, and if you are a good interrogator, which I am, you can find out quite a bit about a person talking to them for an hour or an hour and a half, and if I like what I hear, I then ask them for their personal info to have a background check done on them. I do a lot of work on Military and Govt. installations so the back ground checks are a bit more intensive than your normal 50 dollar online checks because the govt. does them for me. I let them know in writing that for the first 90 days they are on probation and can be fired for any reason or no reason. I do this for my regular employees and for my subs, most of whom are regularly drug tested. Has worked out fine in the 8yrs I've had my own business.

[

Were you born this stupid or do you work at it? The whole topic is business owners, like bakers who make wedding cakes, hall owners who rent reception halls, photographers that take wedding pictures, wedding planners, and the 101 other businesses that specialize in wedding related goods and services being forced by law to include offering these goods and services to sodomites and dykes who get legally married in jurisdictions that have gay "marriage" or get sued for discriminating against them. This has ALREADY happened dumbass, If you are telling bakers they have to bake a wedding cake for two sodomites that are getting married or they get sued, or if you tell a wedding planner that if they turn down two faggots or dykes just because they are faggots or dykes and you don't believe in gay marriage that they can be sued, or if you tell a person that rents out halls for wedding receptions that if they refuse to rent the hall to deviants who wish to celebrate their reception at your hall only because he believes gay marriage is immoral and against his religious beliefs he can be sued, you are forcing them to participate in a gay marriage/wedding. Damn you're an idiot.

If they don't approve of certain kinds of weddings, they shouldn't be in that kind of business.

Seems pretty simple to me.

I would look at it this way. You guys would make horrible businessmen the way you are always on about business.

their money is just as green as the straights, that's the way I look at it.

Coors and Chik-fil-A found that out, didn't they?

I don't know the details about Coors, but I know Chik-fil-A found out it had it's highest single day of profits on the support Chik-fil-A days in the company's history when people came out IN SUPPORT OF their anti-homo marriage stance.

Seems that there are plenty of wedding planners, bakers and photographers so let me ask this question. Why would one want to do business with a company that didn't want your business in the first place when there are other businesses around that would just at the chance to get your money?

Because the intent of the militant homosexuals is NOT live and let live, it is their desire to force their immorality and perverse lifestyle choices on every one else in the nation. Their agenda isn't to live their lives as they see fit, it's to get every one else to accept their perversion as natural and normal and to do that they will bully, boycott and use the liberal court system to carry this out.

Seems that there are plenty of wedding planners, bakers and photographers so let me ask this question. Why would one want to do business with a company that didn't want your business in the first place when there are other businesses around that would just at the chance to get your money?

Because the intent of the militant homosexuals is NOT live and let live, it is their desire to force their immorality and perverse lifestyle choices on every one else in the nation. Their agenda isn't to live their lives as they see fit, it's to get every one else to accept their perversion as natural and normal and to do that they will bully, boycott and use the liberal court system to carry this out.

In other words, you don't like gay people because they are 'icky'.

Wow...missed the blacks part the first time. You're an all inclusive bigot. You are breaking the law though.

Screw the law. It's MY business and I'll hire who I want to represent MY business. See I don't buy that bs obama's spoon feeding the ignorant. I built my business myself, and I will choose who I hire to represent it and me, and that would not include felons, dopers, drunks, homosexuals, negroes or heathens. Won't hire long haired, ear ring wearing hipsters or blatant liberals either.

Interesting.....so you don't follow any licenses, safety, health requirements, pay taxes, etc.

Interesting. I specifically reference my hiring practices and my hiring practices ONLY, and from this you get, "so you don't follow any licenses, safety, health requirements, pay taxes, etc"? No wonder obama had no problem convincing so many liberals to vote for him. You're a bunch of freaking brain dead morons who base your thoughts and opinion on stuff you pull out of your asses. Piss off dumbass.

[
I don't know the details about Coors, but I know Chik-fil-A found out it had it's highest single day of profits on the support Chik-fil-A days in the company's history when people came out IN SUPPORT OF their anti-homo marriage stance.

ONe day of profits vs. long term boycotts?

The fact is, Chick-Fil-A dropped its support of homophobic hate groups because they were bad publicity.

I would think you have enough to worry about in your own life than someone running a small buisness running it the way they want to.

Thats the problem with most progressives, they are shameless busybodies.

Information is not advocacy. He's breaking the law. It's that simple.

I would prefer he could be open and honest about his bigotry and homophobia, without fear of civil lawsuit, but the laws are currently very clear and he is in violation of them.

There are many ways around laws you believe to be immoral, obtrusive and wrong, and I have had no problems getting around them. NOBODY tells me who I can and cannot hire in the company I built with MY sweat, MY blood and MY sacrifices, period. I don't have applicants fill out a job application and most of the people who work for me come recommended by someone I know, so I already know a lot about them before I even meet them. Then I always do my interviews over a long and leisurely lunch, and if you are a good interrogator, which I am, you can find out quite a bit about a person talking to them for an hour or an hour and a half, and if I like what I hear, I then ask them for their personal info to have a background check done on them. I do a lot of work on Military and Govt. installations so the back ground checks are a bit more intensive than your normal 50 dollar online checks because the govt. does them for me. I let them know in writing that for the first 90 days they are on probation and can be fired for any reason or no reason. I do this for my regular employees and for my subs, most of whom are regularly drug tested. Has worked out fine in the 8yrs I've had my own business.

So you won't hire a gay person? Even though that gay person might be the best employee you could ever have?

I'm wondering who these militant homosexuals are. I've never met one.

Fact is, most gays I've known in the workplace go through great lengths to hide their sexual orientation.

I had a manager I worked with for two years before I knew she was gay. Did it make any difference in the way she did her job? Nope.

I knew another gal who kept her orientation under wraps until she brought her partner to the Holiday party. They fired her three weeks later.

Here's the thing, Petey. I just don't see how they are "forcing" you to do anything. No one is making you be gay.

No, his royal majesty, Barack Hussein Obama II - Emperor of all the Americas, anointed above all gods, creator of the Universe, cum guzzler and turd burglar, will send his the personal henchmen, the IRS, to punish any who defy the royal decree of the GLORIOUS PEOPLES JUDGES who have made this law.

It's not like anyone wants a law that says photographers have to go to gay weddings and perform photography services. No one wants that. Or, bake same sex wedding cakes, or deliver flower arrangements. No. Not at all. There is nothing that shotguns anyone into participating.

There are public accommodation and anti discrimination laws that say you can't deny services. Some of them include "the gheys". Most are the usual...race, religion, gender. Go ahead, repeal them so I can kick red neck Christian fucks out of my place of business.

I don't know too may Redneck Christian folks that frequent gay establishments in the first place.

It's not like anyone wants a law that says photographers have to go to gay weddings and perform photography services. No one wants that. Or, bake same sex wedding cakes, or deliver flower arrangements. No. Not at all. There is nothing that shotguns anyone into participating.

There are public accommodation and anti discrimination laws that say you can't deny services. Some of them include "the gheys". Most are the usual...race, religion, gender. Go ahead, repeal them so I can kick red neck Christian fucks out of my place of business.

I don't know too may Redneck Christian folks that frequent gay establishments in the first place.

Oh, I'm sure you've been to a few. ;)

Coors accommodated....and Chik-fil-A.....heh...watch what happens. :D They'll go the way of Cracker Barrel. :D

They set records because of that stunt, geeeeezus.

There aren't enough of you to hurt them kid....and too many of don't give a shit what you think.

yes they did...for a short time. How are they doing now? :D

Might be a good idea to actually look things up prior to bloviating on them. Chik-fil-A sales where up 12% in 2012 and are set to rise again this year according to 1st qtr sales figures.

Forum List

Back