Should President Trump invoke the Insurrection Act of 1807 and end the riots in Portland?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
The Act empowers the U.S. president to call into service the U.S. Armed Forces and the National Guard:

when requested by a state's legislature, or governor if the legislature cannot be convened, to address an insurrection against that state (§ 251),
to address an insurrection, in any state, which makes it impracticable to enforce the law (§ 252), or
to address an insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination or conspiracy, in any state, which results in the deprivation of Constitutionally-secured rights, and where the state is unable, fails, or refuses to protect said rights (§ 253).

Personally, I think he does have the authority to call in whatever forces are necessary to end the nightly BS in Portland and other places. It really should be done by the mayor, city council, and governor, but after 3 months I think enough is enough. But here's the thing: if he goes in and ends the rioting, what happens when the military or NG leaves? Do the rioters and thugs return and pick up where they let off? I kinda think so, the next time a cop shoots somebody or a black guy dies in custody, here we go again.

So, much as I hate to say it, I think Trump should wait until he gets assurances from the governor and mayor that once law and order has been restored they will maintain it, as they should've done in the 1st place. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time and money. And if they won't commit to do their primary function of providing public safety and security then the citizens of Portland and Oregon will have to continue to suffer the consequences for who they elected into office. And IMHO Trump should not intervene.

The Act empowers the U.S. president to call into service the U.S. Armed Forces and the National Guard:

when requested by a state's legislature, or governor if the legislature cannot be convened, to address an insurrection against that state (§ 251),
to address an insurrection, in any state, which makes it impracticable to enforce the law (§ 252), or
to address an insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination or conspiracy, in any state, which results in the deprivation of Constitutionally-secured rights, and where the state is unable, fails, or refuses to protect said rights (§ 253).

Personally, I think he does have the authority to call in whatever forces are necessary to end the nightly BS in Portland and other places. It really should be done by the mayor, city council, and governor, but after 3 months I think enough is enough. But here's the thing: if he goes in and ends the rioting, what happens when the military or NG leaves? Do the rioters and thugs return and pick up where they let off? I kinda think so, the next time a cop shoots somebody or a black guy dies in custody, here we go again.

So, much as I hate to say it, I think Trump should wait until he gets assurances from the governor and mayor that once law and order has been restored they will maintain it, as they should've done in the 1st place. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time and money. And if they won't commit to do their primary function of providing public safety and security then the citizens of Portland and Oregon will have to continue to suffer the consequences for who they elected into office. And IMHO Trump should not intervene.

" I think Trump should wait until he gets assurances from the governor and mayor ..."

This is pretty much the only part you got right. Gotta love the smaller government type.

He should, but he can't due to the aformentioned mayors and govenors who are too afraid of losing the next election to authorize federal intervention.

I think Trump should wait until he gets assurances from the governor and mayor that once law and order has been restored they will maintain it, as they should've done in the 1st place.

I don't.

They have proven that they lack either the desire or the ability to maintain order. As such, the Feds should move in and take over the city until such a time when a suitable mayor and governor, appointed by the Feds, can be found.

The two jackasses already there should never be allowed to run a municipality again...

It is the sworn duty of the governor and mayor to protect the citizens who pay them. Invoke the insurrection act, take the mayor and governor into custody for having abandoned their sworn duty. The successors would be careful not to make the same mistakes. The National Guard would round up the insurrectionists. Send them to Gitmo.

Should President Trump invoke the Insurrection Act of 1807 and end the riots in Portland?
Nope. Even if application of the act is appropriate, it would be better for those folks to stand up take control of their community. If they chose not to then they deserve to only exist among the ruins.

YES. Bottom line: Americans are dying and losing their lifelong livelihood across the country due to the actions of the terrorist democrat rioters. ALL law abiding American lives are invaluable; Americans leave no fellow countrymen behind. Crush the motherfuckers.

Forum List

Back