Should religion be eliminated

Should religion be eliminated?

• Yes

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 85.4%

• Total voters
Its really not about this religion or that religion. Its more about enforcing existing laws against child abuse.

Your openly professed religious beliefs are a piss poor excuse for crippling the minds of the innocent.

Like I said, if you want to throw your mind in the trash and spend the rest of your days crawling on your belly and eating dust, leave the children out of it. When they become adults they can decide for themselves if they want to follow you into hell by throwing their minds and life in the trash.
That’s nice but all I am interested in at the moment is your desire to regulate religion.

Do you believe religion is evil?

Do you think that fucking up peoples minds for life by perpetuating falsehoods is not evil?
You've gotta be a lapsed Catholic. Am I right?
geez, no. I was never Catholic. I rejected the entire premise as horseshit when I was 8 years old, never looked back, and never had even one moment of regret or doubt that that was the right course to take
"Fucking up people's minds for life?" That's pretty strong language against things like The Golden Rule and the Good Samaritan and the dont-throw-stones-we're-all-sinners teachings. Organized churches have done a huge amount of good in the world, as well as some bad. They pool their resources to help people in need.

I'm not a believer in the God of Moses stories anymore, but I was raised in it 'til I was ready for confirmation and bowed out at 12, so I appreciate that it is a Good Thing, overall, as Martha Stewart would say. Of course, I was raised Congregationalist, which is as loosey-goosey as it gets, but I've met some really awesome Baptists and Catholics and Pentecostals, too, who are shining examples of how to do it right.
I know what the critics here are alluding to--it is not easy to find a kind "Christian" in the political forum. Judgmental, nasty, self-righteous as they come. But I don't really think that's most people who are "religious."
You chose not to be confirmed?

Sure Taz, and maybe one day you will be smart enough to decipher bronze age metaphors of wandering shepherds and understand the deep mysteries of talking snakes, talking donkeys, angels in heaven, demons in hell, and solve the great riddle of the kangaroo.......

but, that isn't very likely.

You seem to lack training in the basic disciplines foundational to life.
I've listened to a ton of different views here about god... I've come to the conclusion that you all live in a fantasy land. So what if shepherds or whatever wrote a book? It's more a book of philosophy than it is pointing to anything real (provable). And it's ok if you use it as a moral compass, not a very good one imho, but hey, to each his or her own. Like you say, talking snakes, demons, angels, floods that never happened... It's simply a colorful book of philosophy or moral guidance...
So you don’t want to abolish it because you don’t believe it is harmful?

If you did find it harmful would you support banning it then?
I'm not for banning it, as people get smarter, they abandon their superstitions. I found that in general, the dumber the person, the more they believe in god. By dumb, I don't mean necessarily book dumb, I mean more like clueless and simple in their way of thinking.
So should we condemn respect for people of faith and ridicule and mock their beliefs to help it along?
I think we should take away tax exempt status for religions. Let them help pay for roads and hospitals...

I also think that people bring ridicule on themselves with weirdo beliefs that don't make any logical sense.
They bring ridicule on themselves?

Is that another way to say they deserve your bad actions?

Sort of like a rationalization? Like it’s not your fault?

I've listened to a ton of different views here about god... I've come to the conclusion that you all live in a fantasy land. So what if shepherds or whatever wrote a book? It's more a book of philosophy than it is pointing to anything real (provable). And it's ok if you use it as a moral compass, not a very good one imho, but hey, to each his or her own. Like you say, talking snakes, demons, angels, floods that never happened... It's simply a colorful book of philosophy or moral guidance...

I'm not for banning it, as people get smarter, they abandon their superstitions. I found that in general, the dumber the person, the more they believe in god. By dumb, I don't mean necessarily book dumb, I mean more like clueless and simple in their way of thinking.
So should we condemn respect for people of faith and ridicule and mock their beliefs to help it along?
I think we should take away tax exempt status for religions. Let them help pay for roads and hospitals...

I also think that people bring ridicule on themselves with weirdo beliefs that don't make any logical sense.

I think when someone says something completely absurd and ridiculous, like you often do, that having a laugh is appropriate. Otherwise, why would go make you say all that dumb shit? :biggrin:

That’s nice but all I am interested in at the moment is your desire to regulate religion.

Do you believe religion is evil?

Do you think that fucking up peoples minds for life by perpetuating falsehoods is not evil?
geez, no. I was never Catholic. I rejected the entire premise as horseshit when I was 8 years old, never looked back, and never had even one moment of regret or doubt that that was the right course to take
"Fucking up people's minds for life?" That's pretty strong language against things like The Golden Rule and the Good Samaritan and the dont-throw-stones-we're-all-sinners teachings. Organized churches have done a huge amount of good in the world, as well as some bad. They pool their resources to help people in need.

I'm not a believer in the God of Moses stories anymore, but I was raised in it 'til I was ready for confirmation and bowed out at 12, so I appreciate that it is a Good Thing, overall, as Martha Stewart would say. Of course, I was raised Congregationalist, which is as loosey-goosey as it gets, but I've met some really awesome Baptists and Catholics and Pentecostals, too, who are shining examples of how to do it right.
I know what the critics here are alluding to--it is not easy to find a kind "Christian" in the political forum. Judgmental, nasty, self-righteous as they come. But I don't really think that's most people who are "religious."
Yes.

I think when someone says something completely absurd and ridiculous, like you often do, that having a laugh is appropriate. Otherwise, why would go make you say all that dumb shit? :biggrin:
So it’s not your fault because they deserved it?

Outcomes being good or bad of one tried culture vs. the next tells someone nothing about the truth or falsehood of said culture. That's a non sequitur fallacy.

If atheism kills ten million people and religion saves the lives of double that, it tells us nothing in terms of which is true.
I couldn’t disagree more. Cultures rise and cultures fall. All one has to do to understand why is look at their behaviors and values which inform their decisions and actions.

Conversely some cultures never rise and there is a logical reason for that too. They keep doing the same thing.
That's another non sequitur.

The truth about God being how x, y, z Religion says God actually IS, or IF God actually exists, cannot be extrapolated from anyone's civilization rising or falling. That's irrationalism, at its finest.
I don’t believe I said anything about God is or actually exists.

I am referring to the behaviors religion teaches.

You should look up the Protestant work ethic by Webber, I think, or the happiness advantage. Specifically the ways in which we are able to train our minds for happiness and how those are values taught by religion.

Attitude is everything. It is the difference maker.
Religion is fine if you need it for those values, Ding.

There are plenty of people who don't.

You keep harrassing hobelim about considering religion evil, and if he does you think that its weird that he doesnt want to ban it.

You also keep posting the evils of atheism and the millions its killed.

Are you being subversive about your wishes to ban atheism?

These shoes you like to put on peoples' feet, you never understand that theyre the same ones you wouldnt want to wear, yourself.

If you werent such a twat and had some basic conversational skills, you wouldnt be down this path with such a large number of folks over simple discussions of ideas. This isnt the flame zone.
Path not taken. Their values were informed already by those principles.

You ask a good question though albeit in a straw man fashion. Do I want to ban atheism? Is that even possible? Putting that aside my answer is no. Each person must decide the path they must travel.

My actions are reactions to the reactions of atheists to Christianity.

I wholeheartedly agree in walking a mile in the other guy’s moccasins. That’s why I don’t judge the person.
The values in the most common Religious texts predated the Religion itself i.e. theyre human values, not Religious ones.

Religions, like Laws, merely codified what we already had.

Yes.
I am impressed. I have a dear friend who at 15 told his mother whom he loved dearly that he wanted to leave the Church and become a Protestant.

I'm having a laugh, shoot me. Better yet, stop saying so much dumb shit like you mean it. :biggrin:

I couldn’t disagree more. Cultures rise and cultures fall. All one has to do to understand why is look at their behaviors and values which inform their decisions and actions.

Conversely some cultures never rise and there is a logical reason for that too. They keep doing the same thing.

The truth about God being how x, y, z Religion says God actually IS, or IF God actually exists, cannot be extrapolated from anyone's civilization rising or falling. That's irrationalism, at its finest.

You should look up the Protestant work ethic by Webber, I think, or the happiness advantage. Specifically the ways in which we are able to train our minds for happiness and how those are values taught by religion.

You keep harrassing hobelim about considering religion evil, and if he does you think that its weird that he doesnt want to ban it.

These shoes you like to put on peoples' feet, you never understand that theyre the same ones you wouldnt want to wear, yourself.

If you werent such a twat and had some basic conversational skills, you wouldnt be down this path with such a large number of folks over simple discussions of ideas. This isnt the flame zone.

You ask a good question though albeit in a straw man fashion. Do I want to ban atheism? Is that even possible? Putting that aside my answer is no. Each person must decide the path they must travel.

I wholeheartedly agree in walking a mile in the other guy’s moccasins. That’s why I don’t judge the person.
The values in the most common Religious texts predated the Religion itself i.e. theyre human values, not Religious ones.

Actually at the time of Moses the standards they established were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries. Ironically people use those higher standards against them because they were not the standards we have today. Nonetheless we are still challenged by the ten that were first established.

But to your point it is the role of religion to teach civility. Something a government cannot do. So I dispute that religion played no role in establishing the standards and values we follow or try to follow today.

You are arguing a path not taken and are assuming it would have been a better path.

I'm having a laugh, shoot me. Better yet, stop saying so much dumb shit like you mean it. :biggrin:
No need to shoot you. I already made my point.

:lol:

See what I mean? :biggrin:

No. I don’t. Can you explain it to me?

I may laugh and make jokes when you say dumb shit. It's my god given right. Otherwise god wouldn't let you say those things.

Actually at the time of Moses the standards they established were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries. Ironically people use those higher standards against them because they were not the standards we have today. Nonetheless we are still challenged by the ten that were first established.

But to your point it is the role of religion to teach civility. Something a government cannot do. So I dispute that religion played no role in establishing the standards and values we follow or try to follow today.

You are arguing a path not taken and are assuming it would have been a better path.
The Values at the time of Moses were barbaric. Thats why, when society advanced past that barbaric way of living during those times, Religions needed new covenants to save face when everybody else realized that slavery was wrong. Killing kids for their Fathers' sins was wrong. Raping women as your spoils of war, was wrong. Society pulled Religious values forward.

And I didnt say that Religion played "no role." Of course it had a role. Necessarily. There's people who actually believe in it.

And I said nothing of a better path..... for anything, and didnt even say that Religion was evil, as a whole.

Thats more of your twatty assuming, and it takes so many conversations onto un-pointed, needless asides.

Yes.
I am impressed. I have a dear friend who at 15 told his mother whom he loved dearly that he wanted to leave the Church and become a Protestant.
Ding, back to your OP, there may be a few very radical folks here (well, yeah, there are) who don't tolerate other people's beliefs, but I think you err in believing that agnostics and atheists and those of us I call "searchers" care about what others believe, as long as those others don't try to impose their beliefs on us.

Most of us probably came to the realization that God ain't up there via the knowledge of other religions and the careful observations of science. Why you believe others automatically want to "ban" or "abolish" religion simply because we made a personal decision about our own beliefs, I don't understand.

Like I said, yes, there a few radicals here who would say religion is bad and everyone should get over it. I think most people think it is just not a good fit for them. Just as religion is a good fit for you.
If you continue to start threads to discuss it, you will hear from people who don't agree with you. Sure as the sun rises. Ignore the ones who can't be fair about it.

The Values at the time of Moses were barbaric. Thats why, when society advanced past that barbaric way of living during those times, Religions needed new covenants to save face when everybody else realized that slavery was wrong. Killing kids for their Fathers' sins was wrong. Raping women as your spoils of war, was wrong. Society pulled Religious values forward.

And I didnt say that Religion played "no role." Of course it had a role. Necessarily. There's people who actually believe in it.

And I said nothing of a better path..... for anything, and didnt even say that Religion was evil, as a whole.

Thats more of your twatty assuming, and it takes so many conversations onto un-pointed, needless asides.
Implied in your comments is the assumption that we would have gotten to the same place without religion. I’m not convinced of that. That is the path not chosen.

As for your understanding of what the Jews established you should read Huston Smith book on world religions.

I may laugh and make jokes when you say dumb shit. It's my god given right. Otherwise god wouldn't let you say those things.
Laughing leads to crying.

Implied in your comments is the assumption that we would have gotten to the same place without religion. I’m not convinced of that. That is the path not chosen.

As for your understanding of what the Jews established you should read Huston Smith book on world religions.
I dont need your recommends, Im a grown man and Ive done my research.

What you believe was implied, wasn't. You were in error.

If asked which would have been the "better path" to advance ancient societies? My answer would have been, "I dont know."

Now, you no longer need to assume.

Yes.
Ding, back to your OP, there may be a few very radical folks here (well, yeah, there are) who don't tolerate other people's beliefs, but I think you err in believing that agnostics and atheists and those of us I call "searchers" care about what others believe, as long as those others don't try to impose their beliefs on us.

Most of us probably came to the realization that God ain't up there via the knowledge of other religions and the careful observations of science. Why you believe others automatically want to "ban" or "abolish" religion simply because we made a personal decision about our own beliefs, I don't understand.

Like I said, yes, there a few radicals here who would say religion is bad and everyone should get over it. I think most people think it is just not a good fit for them. Just as religion is a good fit for you.
If you continue to start threads to discuss it, you will hear from people who don't agree with you. Sure as the sun rises. Ignore the ones who can't be fair about it.
My intent is not to disparage atheists or agnostics. My intent is to bring the logical conclusion foreward of those who condemn respect for people of faith.

Forum List

Back