Should Sara Murnaghan have died in favor of the person before her?

Did little Sarah deserve to die?

• Yes, she should have waited in line like everyone else, I feel sorry for the guy who got bumped.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, she deserved to live

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not the point. People are asking what if Sarah died if she had to wait longer, but they refuse to consider the reverse - what if an adult died for her?

I look at the one most in need at the time, the rest is emotional BS.

You are relying on your emotions by refusing to even consider letting the child die to save an adult who has a greater chance of survival.

You don't know that for sure.

You are relying on your emotions by refusing to even consider letting the child die to save an adult who has a greater chance of survival.

You don't know that for sure.

No, and you had better hope that the adult at the top of that list doesn't die because they were denied their transplant.

We'd better hope? Nobody here decided who lived and who died. If you think it's bad for any of us to HOPE that Sarah received a lung, you must be HORRIFIED that a government bureaucrat actually had the power to decide.

Not the point. People are asking what if Sarah died if she had to wait longer, but they refuse to consider the reverse - what if an adult died for her?

I look at the one most in need at the time, the rest is emotional BS.

Here's another problem. Sarah had been on a waiting list for 18 months. The adult you speak of may not have not been waiting that long. Second, you can't seem to grasp the fact that list does not work the way you think it does. She didn't push anyone out of the way for the lungs, she was seen first because her case and situation exceeded that of anyone else's on the list! I cannot believe you would be willing to discriminate against her because of her age or dire need! The Hippocratic Oath states: "I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice."

Oh yes, she survived, given that the odds were invariably stacked against her.

Last edited:
She was seen first due to her parents suing and the media running with the story.

She was seen first due to her parents suing and the media running with the story.

She was seen first because there were no children donors. She had been waiting for 18 months Gracie! Would you make someone wait a year and a half to get something that would immediately save their life?

Last edited:
The situation is not an easy one. Regardless of whether Sarah got the lung or someone else did, someone died to provide that lung.

How do we determine who lives and who dies? There has to be someway to save everyone. But we clearly havent figured that out yet.

She was seen first because there were no children donors. She had been waiting for 18 months Gracie! Would you make someone wait a year and a half to get something that would immediately save their life?

My stance is...she waits just like everyone else. The organ should go to whomever is next on the list and has been waiting as well. This turned in to child vs adult due to the parents fighting to save her life. Which is what I would have done as well. But, on the other hand, if it were my 30 year old child being bumped...I would fight for Sarah to stay right there on the list wherever she was.

The situation is not an easy one. Regardless of whether Sarah got the lung or someone else did, someone died to provide that lung.

How do we determine who lives and who dies? There has to be someway to save everyone. But we clearly havent figured that out yet.

ZERO will decide!

Are you sure, or was it the process that was followed and she was the most in need at the time?

No. Not sure. But I never heard about it until it was on the news. Does anyone know for a fact she was the most in need? Or was someone else gasping their last and bumped back because a child needed it? Would we ever know? Probably not.

The only person dying to save this little girl was the doner. Until this, youths wouldn't qualify for adult lungs. It is not as if this little girl cut in line...

There are many more adult lungs to go around and no reason that children can't benefit from adult lungs. This is something that should have been addressed long before now.

...and if it ever does come down to child vs. adult --- the child obviously should be the one getting the help. Just like in a fire. Save the children, save the women, and then save the men. Anyone with a decent upbringing should come to this conclusion, IMO!

I have not seen one person in either thread state they "blamed" the little girl.

Not very easy is it?

Easy for you to admit that you would prefer the adult die instead?

You would rather kill the child, make the poor little girl "mind her manners" as the life slowly vacated her body. Yes, kill the girl, let her die. How barbaric!

No one...I repeat...no one is killing any child. It is the disease. You, in your sickness, lash out at the policies that were put in place for very logical reasons.

Too bad, for your sake, there are no brain transplants possible yet. You're terminal.

Are you sure, or was it the process that was followed and she was the most in need at the time?

No. Not sure. But I never heard about it until it was on the news. Does anyone know for a fact she was the most in need? Or was someone else gasping their last and bumped back because a child needed it? Would we ever know? Probably not.

Who will the people here hold responsible if....gods forbid....the doctors were right and this girl dies even with the transplant and someone else dies because they got bumped because of this?

It's also a good reminder to people to become an organ donor. Sadly, so many people die each day and they could have saved other lives had they chose to become an organ donor and let their family know their wishes. I look at it as a way of cheating death a little. Maybe your heart can go on beating or your eyes can continue to see.

Last edited:

You would rather kill the child, make the poor little girl "mind her manners" as the life slowly vacated her body. Yes, kill the girl, let her die. How barbaric!

No one...I repeat...no one is killing any child. It is the disease. You, in your sickness, lash out at the policies that were put in place for very logical reasons.

Too bad, for your sake, there are no brain transplants possible yet. You're terminal.

Pretty slim distinction. If you let somebody die that you could have saved, do you hold some responsibility for their death?

I'm lashing out at people like you, who would rather see her die, for the sake of another person who's situation is nowhere as dire as hers. You can insult me all you want, but those policies wound up saving her life. For that I am thankful, and I weep for those who had to die to make her life possible.

Forum List

Back