Should Taxes be Placed on Cigarettes?

MathewSmith

May 24, 2015
Well, you could look at it from both sides, but I'm going for 'YES' . Yes, taxes should be placed on cigarettes. Of course! Do cigarettes benefit you? NO! They do NOT benefit you at all!! I have once even found a cigarette butt at my school. AT A PRIMARY SCHOOL! I understand that it is addictive and that people should have the freedom to decide on that, and that we have no right to stop them from smoking, but doing it around children! Ridiculous. I have even once seen a family in a car, and there was a baby and a young child in the car, including their parents. What shocked me the most was that the dad, who was driving, was smoking.

Uhm... they already tax cigarettes and have for many years, maybe as long as ten or fifteen years - it pays for "Quit Smoking" campaigns (including commercials and stuff you see on TV) and I believe it's put into medicare/medicade fund as well.

Well, you could look at it from both sides, but I'm going for 'YES' . Yes, taxes should be placed on cigarettes. Of course! Do cigarettes benefit you? NO! They do NOT benefit you at all!! I have once even found a cigarette butt at my school. AT A PRIMARY SCHOOL! I understand that it is addictive and that people should have the freedom to decide on that, and that we have no right to stop them from smoking, but doing it around children! Ridiculous. I have even once seen a family in a car, and there was a baby and a young child in the car, including their parents. What shocked me the most was that the dad, who was driving, was smoking.

Income shouldn't be taxed at all.....taxes should just be on everything we buy, with exemptions for basic food and medicine. Not just cigarettes, but all things, then you are only taxed as much as you want to be taxed.

Income shouldn't be taxed at all.....taxes should just be on everything we buy, with exemptions for basic food and medicine. Not just cigarettes, but all things, then you are only taxed as much as you want to be taxed.

The reason income taxes have become such a large part of government revenues is because it is taken out of peoples' paychecks before they ever see that money. If they had to write out checks to the government every month, there would be a revolution.

where have you been locked up all these years?...

Forum List

Back