Should Thanksgiving even be a holiday?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Based on principles argued by the left on this forum, how is it that Thanksgiving is a legal American holiday? Yes it is based on a supposed historical event, but its underpinnings are entirely religious. Both he pilgrims AND the Indians believed there was a deity to be thanked for the abundant harvest. That is the traditional belief. Only two religious foundations there.

So, doesn't giving Thanksgiving day off to federal workers underpin a preference by the government for the two religions represented there?

I post this because the left is so classically atheist and yet they have gone to the mat over Walmart and other places staying open on Thanksgiving day. What's so special about that day other than the religious connotation. And I don't want to hear anything about family and other blah blah blah. I am a nurse and I learned years ago that it still feels like Thanksgiving on the Saturday after. You can get together with family and eat turkey and pray any day of the year.

And if the store owner happens to be atheist, then shouldn't his lack of religion be respected in regard to his store? Why should he have to close on Thanksgiving because his employees want to pray that day? Doesn't that violate his rights as a non believer?

Any excuse for paid time off, eh? :thup:

I don't use my Sundays for church either... doesn't mean I don't enjoy the day off.

I'm talking law here. Should the government pay for a holiday based in religion? The gold standard is whether one religion is endorsed over another by the government. Given that there were only two religions present on the first Thanksgiving, it seems that the government is endorsing those.

And why should an atheist lower himself to take a day off in honor of a god he find abhorrent? Get with the program there, mod.

:rolleyes:

Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday.

Negged! You are an idiot.

Well to whom is the thanks being given? The Annunaki?

You fucking fool. You just negged me for another post. You can't do it again, not for a couple of days. Do you keep a list or something, or keep everyone in mind you need to neg, remembering every 48 hours who is on your list? How pathetic you are. So sad and pathetic. Has anyone ever suggested to you that being negative, bitter and angry causes people to get ill, or if they are ill, to not deal well with their illness? The only person you are hurting with all your negging and negativity is you. No one really cares about the neg or pos points on this forum because they have lives. You should get one instead of wasting yours thinking about how you can punish the rest of the world for your being ill.

Maybe the OP should bitch about Christmas.

Feel free. It's the same principle. Should an atheist or a Jew be forced to be off on those very Christian holidays? Or be forced to close their stores on those days?

It's up to the business owner when he or she is open or closed. If an employee doesn't like it they can find another job or just deal with it. Where are there laws that say a business is not allowed to be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas? Nobody is forcing anyone to be open or closed, or to work on a day they don't want to. Are there still places in this country that require business to be closed on Sunday?

Maybe the OP should bitch about Christmas.

Feel free. It's the same principle. Should an atheist or a Jew be forced to be off on those very Christian holidays? Or be forced to close their stores on those days?

It's up to the business owner when he or she is open or closed. If an employee doesn't like it they can find another job or just deal with it. Where are there laws that say a business is not allowed to be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas? Nobody is forcing anyone to be open or closed, or to work on a day they don't want to. Are there still places in this country that require business to be closed on Sunday?

The point is that every liberal on here, on another thread, is sorely indignant that some stores stay open on Thanksgiving depriving people of that day off.

I'm just playing along. People who don't believe in God to give thanks to should not be forced to be off work. And if they work for the government they ARE forced to be off those days. Unless it is something like the military, government agencies close that day.

You fucking fool. You just negged me for another post. You can't do it again, not for a couple of days. Do you keep a list or something, or keep everyone in mind you need to neg, remembering every 48 hours who is on your list? How pathetic you are. So sad and pathetic. Has anyone ever suggested to you that being negative, bitter and angry causes people to get ill, or if they are ill, to not deal well with their illness? The only person you are hurting with all your negging and negativity is you. No one really cares about the neg or pos points on this forum because they have lives. You should get one instead of wasting yours thinking about how you can punish the rest of the world for your being ill.

Here, here's you another: NEG!

You fucking idiot. I only negged the post in the response. I didn't give you a neg. But when the time is up, I fucking WILL you can bet on that one.

Why does getting a neg anger you so? Why is rep so important to you that you piss and moan and whine like this.

You also are too fucking stupid to realize that those theories you are alluding to have never been validated. You don't know one damned thing about my illness, so fuck you. And you don't know one goddamned thing about psychiatry as evidenced by issues you have publically disclosed on another thread. You are just another hostile hateful liberal who thinks the world owes you something attacking anyone and everyone because it doesn't. You are NOT a good addition to this forum.

You so vile and disgusting. Every time I post something you don't like you come back with a response that says, 'You're going to diiiiee, na na na na na.' Typical liberal. Just like the one quoted in my signature line. Well here's a flash you vile piece of shit. We ALL are. So what's your excuse for having the ego strength of a gnat?

And being the dishonest fuck that you are, you didn't mention the positive rep I gave you just a few days ago:

i hate my mother.... 11-14-2013 06:52 AM Esmeralda I know. Shocker.

Last edited:

A person doesn't have to be religous or have a "God" to be thankful. People can be thankful that they can sit as a family and have a wonderful meal. They can be thankful for having each other and being in a position that enables them to gather and afford to eat wonderful food. They can view how other less fortunate people live and be thankful for the life they have here in America. If one wishs to thank God, they may. If one doesn't want to thank God, they don't have to. That in itself is something to be thankful for. Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for what we have. God has nothing to do with it.

The point is that every liberal on here, on another thread, is sorely indignant that some stores stay open on Thanksgiving depriving people of that day off.

I'm just playing along. People who don't believe in God to give thanks to should not be forced to be off work. And if they work for the government they ARE forced to be off those days. Unless it is something like the military, government agencies close that day.

I looked at a thread (maybe a different one?) about stores staying open on Thanksgiving.....the indignation certainly wasn't limited to liberals (as far as I can tell political opinion of posters) nor were liberals absent from those who accept stores opening on Thanksgiving.

Any excuse for paid time off, eh? :thup:

I don't use my Sundays for church either... doesn't mean I don't enjoy the day off.

I'm talking law here. Should the government pay for a holiday based in religion? The gold standard is whether one religion is endorsed over another by the government. Given that there were only two religions present on the first Thanksgiving, it seems that the government is endorsing those.

And why should an atheist lower himself to take a day off in honor of a god he find abhorrent? Get with the program there, mod.

If your employer, be it public or private, gives you paid time off, enjoy it!

Nobody is trying to tell you how you must use the time, why should I be discriminated against because of my beliefs? :dunno:

On a side note, based on the number of retail operations NOT giving time off, paid or otherwise on that day, I seriously doubt that it's a law.

On another side note, one needn't be thankful to a God to be thankful for what they have.

Last but not least, I'm not posting as a Mod in this thread. Just another average Joe.

Forum List

Back