Should we believe Trump's claim that Comey said Trump is not under investigation?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
When the Office of Congressional Ethics conducts an investigation of a member, it doesn't disclose who is or or is not the subject of an investigation. It's hard to imagine a lower standard be in place for criminal investigations the FBI conducts; however, it's plausible that Comey did disclose that piece of information in the classified hearings in which he testified.
Might it be that Comey told Trump he's not the subject of the FBI's investigation? I guess anything's possible. For my part, I think it more likely that when, in a conversation between Trump and Comey, the topic of whom might be the subjects of the FBI's investigation, Comey demurred, and his doing so irked Trump in much the same way Trump was pissed that Comey would not give him a preview of the "Russia" testimony Comey intended to give to Congress.

One thing is very clear to me: Trump will say pretty much anything without regard to whether it's 100% true in fact, spirit, and context. Accordingly, I have zero confidence that Comey told Trump that Trump is not the among the subjects of the FBI investigation. If someone else "in the know" makes that assertion as directly as Trump did, I'd be more inclined to believe Comey did indeed tell Trump that.

Should we believe Trump's claim that Comey said Trump is not under investigation?

No, please don't. It's enormously entertaining when your wishful thinking blows up in your faces again and again :blowup:, and you look like such fools.

You know, I thought it was kinda strange for Trump to say that Comey said he wasn't under investigation three different times in the letter he sent to fire him.

Kinda strange that Trump wrote his own exoneration into Comey's firing letter.

If he wasn't guilty of anything, why did he feel it necessary to write the letter like that?

Why would I believe trump . He tells bold face lies on the daily !

When the Office of Congressional Ethics conducts an investigation of a member, it doesn't disclose who is or or is not the subject of an investigation. It's hard to imagine a lower standard be in place for criminal investigations the FBI conducts; however, it's plausible that Comey did disclose that piece of information in the classified hearings in which he testified.
Might it be that Comey told Trump he's not the subject of the FBI's investigation? I guess anything's possible. For my part, I think it more likely that when, in a conversation between Trump and Comey, the topic of whom might be the subjects of the FBI's investigation, Comey demurred, and his doing so irked Trump in much the same way Trump was pissed that Comey would not give him a preview of the "Russia" testimony Comey intended to give to Congress.

One thing is very clear to me: Trump will say pretty much anything without regard to whether it's 100% true in fact, spirit, and context. Accordingly, I have zero confidence that Comey told Trump that Trump is not the among the subjects of the FBI investigation. If someone else "in the know" makes that assertion as directly as Trump did, I'd be more inclined to believe Comey did indeed tell Trump that.
I can't imagine that Comey would have said that.
It's curious that Trump made this claim only after Comey was out. I'm waiting to see if Comey has anything to say.

You know, I thought it was kinda strange for Trump to say that Comey said he wasn't under investigation three different times in the letter he sent to fire him.

If he wasn't guilty of anything, why did he feel it necessary to write the letter like that?

I too wondered about that. The only thing I could come up with that might make sense is that if Comey did indeed say that to Trump on three occasions, Comey's doing so could be a reason for dismissing him. Be that as it may, the letter doesn't say that, and neither have any administration officials said that Comey's doing so was all or part of the basis for firing him.

I too wondered about that. The only thing I could come up with that might make sense is that if Comey did indeed say that to Trump on three occasions, Comey's doing so could be a reason for dismissing him. Be that as it may, the letter doesn't say that, and neither have any administration officials said that Comey's doing so was all or part of the basis for firing him.

Just watch, Trump is later going to be pointing to that letter to "prove" he's not under investigation.

And he's the one that wrote it!

It's curious that Trump made this claim only after Comey was out. I'm waiting to see if Comey has anything to say.
I don't know for certain, but....
if trump calls ''executive privilege'' Comey won't be able to answer?

Should we believe Trump's claim?
That is the question.

I felt it was more to the point.
OT:
You may think so; I'll take your word for that, but it is not. Your question is less specific -- it leaves unclear the matter of which of Trump's claims is being asked about -- thus more vague than is the title question. More vague does not correspond to "more to the point."

Yes. I have full faith in President of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump. What's Team Billary up to these days?

Just watch, Trump is later going to be pointing to that letter to "prove" he's not under investigation.

And he's the one that wrote it!
That's generous of you to suggest that Trump might invoke only one fallacious line of reasoning.

I don't know for certain, but....
if trump calls ''executive privilege'' Comey won't be able to answer?

I'm sure Comey still has restrictions on what he can talk about but for him to simply say that never happened shouldn't violate any rules. I guess it will depend on whether or not he wants to get involved. If Trump had lied about what I'd said, I wouldn't hesitate to set the record straight. If he says nothing, it may be true.

IF TRUE, THEN

WOW!

him firing comey really could be, impeachable...

from your link

The anger behind Donald Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday had been building for months, but a turning point came when Comey refused to preview for top Trump aides his planned testimony to a Senate panel, White House officials said.

Trump, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had wanted a heads-up from Comey about what he would say at a May 3 hearing about his handling of an investigation into former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

When Comey refused, Trump and his aides considered that an act of insubordination and it was one of the catalysts to Trump’s decision this week to fire the FBI director, the officials said.

Trump's deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders just now changed the story, and said Comey was fired to bring the Russian investigation to an end.

White House: Removing Comey will help bring Russia investigation to end - CNNPolitics.com

Oh my. That sure makes the Trumptards on this thread here look stupid. The Trump team just specifically said that they knew Trump was under investigation.

Trumptards, aren't you angry that Trump lied to your face like that, and left you looking so stupid?

No?

You're going to run back to him now, drop to your knees, thank him for the humiliation, and beg for more?

Imagine that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back